Going To Try To Take Things Easy This Trip

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
We (my SIL, my 11 year old nephew, and I) will be in WDW in 36 days, for 10 days/9 nights, and this year I am determined to do things differently. No more park commando. I swear every year that I will slow down and smell the roses; but each year, I seem to be more and more determined to do it all.

We are going at a relatively slow time of year, so the lines should not be outrageous.

We are staying on property with a rental car, so less time will be spent getting from resort to park to park.

We already have a DTD afternoon planned, with time set aside to ride the boat to POR.

We have an evening of viewing Wishes from the Poly beach before our dinner at 'Ohana.

I am determined to visit every nook and cranny of World Showcase this trip.

We will be dining at a number of the resorts and will definitely walk around, visit the gift shops, and just soak up the atmosphere of various deluxe resorts - as we do every year.

I plan on foregoing PhotoPass this trip and taking more of my own photos, as this forces you to actually stop. Any other recommendations as to how to stop being so commando while in the parks?

epcotisbest

I actually think 5 years' worth of PhotoPass has also contributed to the rush/rush mentality.
If we weren't running from ride to ride, we were running from PP photographer to PP photographer.

By taking more of my own shots, it will force me to slow down, take in my surroundings, and frame my photos.
Seriously, I have all the magic shots anyway.

A couple of years ago, I started taking photos of all the attraction signage. I will update/finish the job this year, and get Hubby to set our most recent photos to the new Parks CD that is coming out in a couple of days.
Now most people will scoff at this, but we have also quit taking so many photos. Actually don't carry phone or camera to parks with us most of the time. No phone for certain. Camera is optional because we have plenty of photos already and everything just looks so much better when you actually start seeing it in person instead of through a viewfinder. Being hands free is nice at bag check, but even better not carrying around anything all day long. Keys, tickets and ID and some cash and credit cards in my pocket. Wife's purse and camera back at the room. The day just got even more relaxing!

Upvote 0

Since1976

It wasn't until after perhaps 5 consecutive trips that I felt I had seen and done enough at Disney to just be able to stroll leisurely about the parks. On our most recent trip, I was so relaxed I let our kids decide which attractions we would do, while only occasionally making recommendations about things they shouldn't miss.

Disney World has become the ultimate sandbox for our family, and now each trip feels less like a planned invasion :p

Upvote 0

SMS55

I always say it but never really do it. We hit the parks at a million miles an hour. On Saturday after doing everything we wanted at EPCOT and stopping for a beer at Norway we decided to go back to MK. It was early enough and I said to myself I am finally going to go to Tom Sawyer Island. We got there and it started raining. So much for that, but I did have a dole whip. Never had one before in all the years I've been going. Pretty good.

Upvote 0

KCheatle

This may sound weird, but if I were actively attempting to "stop and smell the roses" in Disney world, I would try to literally stop and smell the various "smells of Disney." It's like the movie The Parent Trap, when Haley Mills meets her grandpa for the first time literally smells him! She says she's doing it to make a memory. Every time you see a unique flower/plant or smell a unique smell at Disney, stop and take a second to breathe it in. Then, take a picture nearby that "smell" so you can remember that little detail of your trip.

Upvote 0

ToyStoryMiss

We (my SIL, my 11 year old nephew, and I) will be in WDW in 36 days, for 10 days/9 nights, and this year I am determined to do things differently. No more park commando. I swear every year that I will slow down and smell the roses; but each year, I seem to be more and more determined to do it all.

We are going at a relatively slow time of year, so the lines should not be outrageous.

We are staying on property with a rental car, so less time will be spent getting from resort to park to park.

We already have a DTD afternoon planned, with time set aside to ride the boat to POR.

We have an evening of viewing Wishes from the Poly beach before our dinner at 'Ohana.

I am determined to visit every nook and cranny of World Showcase this trip.

We will be dining at a number of the resorts and will definitely walk around, visit the gift shops, and just soak up the atmosphere of various deluxe resorts - as we do every year.

I plan on foregoing PhotoPass this trip and taking more of my own photos, as this forces you to actually stop. Any other recommendations as to how to stop being so commando while in the parks?
I am determined to do most of the same things too. :)

Upvote 0

JenniferS

Original Poster
I always say it but never really do it. We hit the parks at a million miles an hour. On Saturday after doing everything we wanted at EPCOT and stopping for a beer at Norway we decided to go back to MK. It was early enough and I said to myself I am finally going to go to Tom Sawyer Island. We got there and it started raining. So much for that, but I did have a dole whip. Never had one before in all the years I've been going. Pretty good.
Never had a Dole Whip?
Oh please tell me you made it a float.
Straight up soft serve Dole Whip - okay.
Dole Whip Float - divine!

Upvote 0

JenniferS

Original Poster
Now most people will scoff at this, but we have also quit taking so many photos. Actually don't carry phone or camera to parks with us most of the time. No phone for certain. Camera is optional because we have plenty of photos already and everything just looks so much better when you actually start seeing it in person instead of through a viewfinder. Being hands free is nice at bag check, but even better not carrying around anything all day long. Keys, tickets and ID and some cash and credit cards in my pocket. Wife's purse and camera back at the room. The day just got even more relaxing!
I actually think taking pictures will force me slow down, to look at what I want to capture, to compose the shot, and then to add my family.
Just going to take the P & S, as well as the iPhone, which I'll need for DMX anyway.
5 weeks today - but who's counting?

Upvote 0

Britt

I just plan ADRs and that's it. I work around those. I'm not a "commando" kind of girl when it comes to the parks! I still enjoy myself, but don't feel.....drained at the end :)

Upvote 0

epcotisbest

I actually think taking pictures will force me slow down, to look at what I want to capture, to compose the shot, and then to add my family.
Just going to take the P & S, as well as the iPhone, which I'll need for DMX anyway.
Five weeks will be over before you know it. Have a wonderful trip and enjoy those roses.

Upvote 0

JillC LI

I make no bones about it. I do not go to Disney to relax. To get away from it all, to be a kid again, to have tons of fun, yes. But not to relax. Perhaps someday, but not for the foreseeable future. To those that can relax and take things slow at Disney, more power to ya!

Upvote 0

PUSH

Rofl, what was your avatar????
It may be this... :p

piratequeen.jpg.jpg

Upvote 0

JenniferS

Original Poster
I make no bones about it. I do not go to Disney to relax. To get away from it all, to be a kid again, to have tons of fun, yes. But not to relax. Perhaps someday, but not for the foreseeable future. To those that can relax and take things slow at Disney, more power to ya!
I don't want to relax, per se.
I just want to slow down and appreciate the little things.
I want to oooh and aaah over the details that I obsess over on the internet, but rush right past in real life.

There was a whole series on another site highlighting the architecture of the DHS buildings, comparing Disney's version to the real life inspiration. And me, I just charge through that park, head down on my way to grab TSMM Fastpasses.

This year, I'm going to look up. Look down. Look left and right. And soak in all the details.
(And ride. And eat. And watch shows. And get up early. And stay out late.). Hey, I'm still human.

Upvote 0

acishere

Taking pictures is also my way of slowing down and see what is around me. I upgraded my phone to a Galaxy S4 right before I left just because it has an awesome camera. Wandering around Epcot looking in the little nooks of the countries for cool things to take pictures of and messing with the different shot settings was so much more enjoyable than getting shoved around MK in a horde of people rushing from one place to the next.

I go theme park commando when I 1st get there in the morning just to knock the headliners I love off the to do list. After that I slow down and take it easy. I walk away from WDW trips a lot less stressed out than everyone else in my family who drags their feet until it's late, then try to rush around and see EVERYTHING when park is at its peak in the crowds.

Upvote 0

EOD K9

Here's an idea. You say you are going for 10 days? How about only buying tickets for 8 days. That's WILL force you to slow down and enjoy the resort(s). I also apologize for not being on here the last few weeks. I've been out of the country and when I got back, one of the K9s decided he wanted to use me as a chew toy. I've been recovering and now I'm sore but good to go.

Upvote 0

JenniferS

Original Poster
Here's an idea. You say you are going for 10 days? How about only buying tickets for 8 days. That's WILL force you to slow down and enjoy the resort(s). I also apologize for not being on here the last few weeks. I've been out of the country and when I got back, one of the K9s decided he wanted to use me as a chew toy. I've been recovering and now I'm sore but good to go.
Thanks, but we already have 10 day PH passes and corresponding ADR's.

By K9, I assume you mean dog? I have an almost-debilitating dog phobia. Hubby thinks I need professional help.
I hope you are okay, and wish you a swift recovery. (I am breathing heavy and my pulse is racing as I type this - and not in the good way, either).

Upvote 0

EOD K9

Yes, I mean dog. One of my fellow handlers was out of town and when the pups are at the kennels, other handlers will feed and exercise them. This one decided to get aggressive. Yes, I'm fine now, thanks. You don't need professional help, its a legit phobia. Also, in reference to your passes, dedicate a time or morning to do nothing then. I'll be in the World in two days. Enjoy your trip.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom