Going in September, could use some tips

Dutchie

HI everyone,:wave:

Going to the World Sept 4th- Sept 13th, with my mom (68, but in great shape/ condition) + best friend (& 1st timer). I made a ressie through DreamsUnlimited (they are very helpful), & have the DP free :sohappy:!
I've read the Unofficial Guide, but could u give me hints, tips, advice etc, on what to do (or not), see, & where to eat etc. Like: crowds, EMH's, shopping (since we're flying in from the Netherlands we would like to take a full day out for some heavy-duty shopping, heard that the Florida Mall is ok for that?). Also, I'm celebrating my b-day there (Sept 9), any ideas for that. I was thinking of splurging for Cirque tickets. Are they worth it?
As you can see: help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kstella

You can get the park hours and scheduled EMH under the events/rehabs/hours section of this site. Where to eat depends on what you want buffets, fast food, sit down dinner, etc... I would suggest deciding and getting your ADR's made soon.

Cirque is great. Another option you might want to consider is a dinner show, like Hoop Dee Doo at FW. You'll even get your birthday acknowledged.

Don't forget your first time and birthday buttons!:)

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Congratulations on the first trip!

WDW can be very intimidating with the size, logistics and options available to you. I think you did the best first thing in buying one of the travel guides. You need to have at least a general "plan of attack" and know the general layout of the four parks and the greater WDW area.

Temperatures will be quite warm (and humid), so you will have to factor that into your stamina. The time you will be there is just after most schools start in the US, so the "official" summer vacation time is over. Crowds should be comfortable for you.

For each park, I would make a short list of what you "must do", what you "want to" do and what you would like to if you have time. Use that guide to guide you when you first enter the park, use of your fastpasses etc.
I personally prefer to get to the parks at opening, then you can easily do your "must do's" and the rest of the day can be spent at a fairly reasonable pace.

If you haven't already....make some choices and get reservations for dining you want to do. Don't know what your personal preferences are, but there are well over 100 restaurants in WDW, many with unique theming or entertainment options. Most are difficult to get into by just walking up. You can review restaurant listings by location, and even review the menu's on this site or at http://www.allearsnet.com/din/dining.htm.

Special dining would include character meals, dinner shows like Hoop de do Review and Spirit of Aloha, dinner in the Castle, and unique Disney themed experiences like 50's Prime Time Cafe, SciFi Drive In, Whispering Canyon, Boma, or signature (upscale) dining. You really should make ADR's (advance dining reservations) for sit down meals you are planning.

The other broad area I would suggest you consider for planning are shows and special events, like fireworks and parades. If these are things you are interested in, it's good to know where and when.

You didn't mention where you are staying...I am assuming in the park as you mentioned DP, but the transportation logistics are also something that would be good to get aquainted with.

Oops, almost forgot, birthdays.....
As was mentioned before, when you enter one of the parks, stop off at guest services and ask for a birthday (and/or) first time pin (They're free). While I won't guarantee anything, they may lead to a lot more attention and a few surprises. Wear them for the entire trip, not just the birth day. you should also mention with your hotel reservation AND when you check in that this is a birthday celebration trip...magic can happen.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to follow up in this thread, or you can PM me.

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

You'll get all the info you need about crowds on The Unofficial Guides own website - just remember that with free dining its going to be busy.

Sort out your schedules and make those Dining Reservations SOON !!!!!!

The Florida Mall is one of a few in the area - but we've found it to be the best for all types of shopping. Do you have a car ??? The Florida Mall is back on the way up to Orlando Int Airport and not the easiest (or cheapest by taxi) place to reach

Upvote 0
Oops, almost forgot, birthdays.....
As was mentioned before, when you enter one of the parks, stop off at guest services and ask for a birthday (and/or) first time pin (They're free). While I won't guarantee anything, they may lead to a lot more attention and a few surprises. Wear them for the entire trip, not just the birth day. you should also mention with your hotel reservation AND when you check in that this is a birthday celebration trip...magic can happen.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to follow up in this thread, or you can PM me.

I'll be there a week with my DH and his birthday is the last day we are there. Would you recommend we get his birthday button at the beginning of the trip and him wearing it every day? I just assumed you were only supposed to wear them on the actual day of your birthday. Don't they make you show them i.d. or something with your birth date on it? What's to prevent everyone from getting birthday buttons?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I'll be there a week with my DH and his birthday is the last day we are there. Would you recommend we get his birthday button at the beginning of the trip and him wearing it every day? I just assumed you were only supposed to wear them on the actual day of your birthday. Don't they make you show them i.d. or something with your birth date on it? What's to prevent everyone from getting birthday buttons?

Thanks!
Anyone can get the birthday button without ID. Disney wants you to celebrate your birthday whether it's that day, that week or even that year... :lookaroun

If you're celebrating because the trip is your birthday present even though it doesn't coincide with your birthday, then wear the button. The extras and treats aren't guaranteed, but you'll be wished a "Happy Birthday" by cast and guests alike.

And certainly, wear it the whole trip!

Upvote 0

SchultzFamily

Thanks!

My birthday is in December, but we celebrated while there last September (it was a big birthday...#50). My DH had it noted on all of our ADR's and when we checked into our resort, they had it noted on the reservation. I was given a birthday button at check-in, balloons and also a "Gold" key card. Every restaurant except one (Boatwright's--which ended up being the absolute worse restaurant next to H&V that we ever ate at) brought a cupcake or something for my birthday. Two of the restaurant sdecorated my table with confetti and gave me signed cards by the characters. I was told at check-in to wear the button all week and enjoy my special celebration.

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy

Thanks!

Yes, get them your first day and wear for the entire trip. They are by the honor system, no ID is asked for (and hopefully its not badly abused). I guess it's not much of a problem because there are no "guarantees" as to special treatment. Many people who have a "birthday trip" a week or so before or after the date choose to celebrate...and I don't think that's cheating in the least.

Buttons are the same now at all parks, so pick up at one and wear proudly. Also, be sure to mention at check-in that this is a birthday trip!

Enjoy!

Upvote 0
You and your mom need to pace yourself to survive the hot temps. We typically get to the parks early and stay the morning then eat lunch and head back to our hotel pool, then go to another park for the afternoon. The most special celebratory meal we've had was at Cinderella's Castle. It was for my son's bday and he had a crush on Belle. If you can afford it, that will be a very memorable bday. My family likes the Fla Mall because of the variety of shops but it is a ways away from WDW. The Sci Fi Restaurant is really fun at DHS. It's just burgers and shakes in a drive-in setting. We go there once every trip. Best of luck to you on your vacation!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom