Trip Report Going for platinum, a Pro9het surf story.

Hello again! I debated a while if this TR would even happen but you see how that turned out. My TRs started having me feel like I was stuck in a strange version of Ground Hog Day. “Oh look there’s a DCL ship”, “Lets welcome the McGillicutty family”, “There’s Palo again”, “Castaway Cay”, and “#tonyfromspain”. All that said, I figured there were enough firsts on this trip to justify another TR. Some of those firsts include a new departure port, new port of call, and #tonyfromspain is on vacation so we have a new entertainment personality. If you need a small glimpse at some back story, here are a few: 20/40 Trip, Surf 'n' Turf 2018, and Bermuda,

So lets get some details out of the way first.
WHO: The cast includes my better half, @imahistorygeek, and myself.
IMG_2763.JPG

WHAT: Disney Magic 5-night itinerary
WHEN: This trip took place between January 3-9
WHERE: Port of Miami with stops at Grand Cayman and Castaway Cay.
WHY: Why not?

As the title suggests, this was our 10th DCL trip pushing us into their "Platinum Castaway Club". All this really means is we get to book earlier and eat at Palo for free, but hey, free Palo is free Palo! The trip does include another beer exchange and dinner at Palo but also includes a new beverage seminar, new port, and a glimpse of Cuba.

So there are the details. Up next we will leave a cold and rainy Georgia for warm and sunny Florida.

lostpro9het

Original Poster
Day 2: Embarkation

We had an early boarding group number but still had some time to kill before embarking. Perfect time to check out the first day's navigator.
IMG_8367.JPG

While looking over the navigator I noticed a blue streak cruise by and decided to investigate. Turns out Captain Mickey was on the loose and stopped in for a photo op. This, obviously, amped up the kids and rightly so.
IMG_8373.JPG

IMG_8374.JPG

I hung out here for a bit watching The Mouse make a bunch of kids happy. As I went back to meet my bride at my seat a red streak flew by. I had forgotten all about Minnie's new duds and she was on course to meet Mickey in her new captains outfit. Now, what you can't tell from the exchange below between Minnie and a young cruiser is Minnie was asked when does she drive the ship. Minnie responded with some hand gestures indicating then when she drives, the ship is level and no rocking. She then started rocking her hands back and forth and pointed at Captain Mickey saying when the ship rocks its Mickey that is driving. The exchange was pretty hilarious in person.

IMG_8375.JPG

IMG_8376.JPG

IMG_8377.JPG

IMG_8378.JPG

lostpro9het

Original Poster

Finally our time had come. They started announcing boarding groups and quickly ours was announced. As we made our way around the gangway we finally got some decent views of the ship.
IMG_8379.JPG

IMG_8380.JPG

IMG_8381.JPG

IMG_8382.JPG

As I took the last picture I noticed someone's reflection in the glass. See it? Captain Minnie was heading up the gangway beside me so I do what I do, selfie time!
IMG_8383.JPG

As she passed me she paused a moment more for a selfie with my bride.
IMG_8384.JPG

She had a ship to run so she left us on the 4th deck to go take care of business.
IMG_8385.JPG

Speaking of the 4th deck, we actually entered the ship's lobby on deck 4, not the main lobby deck like we are accustom to. It was a little strange but the McGillicuttys do what the McGillicuddys do.

lostpro9het

Original Poster

Since we had been formally introduced we decided it was time for lunch. We had such a good experience in October eating at Lumiere's we figured we'd skip Cabanas again for lunch there.
IMG_8386.JPG

IMG_8387.JPG

IMG_8390.JPG

IMG_8388.JPG

We were quickly seated and given menus, water, and bread. My bride decided to go with a grilled chicken salad. I enjoyed the empanadas on our last trip so I ordered a couple of them with a salad.
IMG_8389.JPG

IMG_8393.JPG

IMG_8392.JPG

IMG_8391.JPG

My empanadas were excellent again but my bride's salad was a bit lackluster. Still, what we had was filling and we passed on dessert so we could head topside to swim.

lostpro9het

Original Poster

We exited the restaurant and headed for the main elevators. Since we didn't board through the main lobby we took this opportunity to take some pics we normally do when boarding.
IMG_8394.JPG

IMG_8396.JPG

IMG_8395.JPG

With our token pics out of the way we headed for the quite cove pool. We had the run of the place too!
IMG_8397.JPG

IMG_8400.JPG

lostpro9het

Original Poster

We grabbed some loungers and then I paid Signals a visit for some hydration.
IMG_8401.JPG

IMG_8402.JPG

IMG_8399.JPG

The tap offering here was pretty awesome. I mean, La Fin Du Monde is an amazing brew and usually only offered in the pub. They also has La Rubia on tap, this is the beer we had the day before at Tap 42 and one that was not offered in October. Another benefit of getting beers at Signals is the 20oz pour! The other bars all give you a 16oz pour but Signals goes bigger. So I went with a La Fin and my lady went with a drink of the day.
IMG_8404.JPG

IMG_8407.JPG

Did I mention how beautiful it was out?
IMG_8405.JPG

IMG_8406.JPG

We sipped, swam, and relaxed until the rooms were ready.

Zipadeelady

With our token pics out of the way we headed for the quite cove pool. We had the run of the place too!
View attachment 450008
View attachment 450009
I love how the upper area has a shade canopy. With the stairs I could still go take a quick dip then go relax. That's where I'd be. On RCL it was just chaos all the time by the pools with no where to sit and so hard to hear because of the MC and music.

mlee10

All of the food in your trip reports has looked AMAZING. But...that salad....it's a "starter" salad with like 1 chicken tender on it. Funny to see based on what all of the other food looked like.

Talk about VIP status at the pool, looks like a beautiful day!

imahistorygeek

@lostpro9het
What time did you guys get for boarding the ship?

I believe it was a bit after 12. The line was a little slow moving to get on the ship. I think Lumiere's opened at 12:30 and we were able to walk right in.

I love how the upper area has a shade canopy. With the stairs I could still go take a quick dip then go relax. That's where I'd be. On RCL it was just chaos all the time by the pools with no where to sit and so hard to hear because of the MC and music.

Since there was only one pool area (with two pools) on NCL Sun, we found it to be crowded as well. The music was so loud that it gave me a headache. There was no separate adult pool.

lostpro9het

Original Poster
That beer selection looked good. I would have gone with the La Fin du Monde as well.
Have you had their Trois Pistoles? Its a solid Belgian dark ale.

@lostpro9het , amazing report so far!

What time did you guys get for boarding the ship?

Looking forward to hearing the rest.
Thanks! Based on the timestamp of the pictures we boarded exactly at 12:00 and sat down to lunch at 12:08

Its nice. Plenty of covered and uncovered seating. The chaos is limited to the family pool area. I only venture into that madness when its tie to eat. I also second my bride. The "live entertainment" on the NCL pool duck was loud and horrible. Thankfully the steady flow of Dark and Stormys kept me smiling.

All of the food in your trip reports has looked AMAZING. But...that salad....it's a "starter" salad with like 1 chicken tender on it. Funny to see based on what all of the other food looked like.

Talk about VIP status at the pool, looks like a beautiful day!
That salad was very uncharacteristic of DCL dining and, yeah, pretty sad looking.

That's why we wear our bathing suits when we embark. While everyone else is running around waiting for staterooms to open, we just sip and chill by the water.

Excited for a new report! FWIW, I never feel that yours are repetitive, I love reading your cruise/WDW adventures! You and @imahistorygeek really get out there and live life, I LOVE that! I could take a lesson from you guys!
Thank you! We try to have a good time when we can. It never gets old for me.
I always enjoy your TR's and beer appreciation.
Thanks! Plenty more new-to-me beer to come!

lostpro9het

Original Poster

So around 1:45 the announcement was made that staterooms were ready for guests. We fished our drinks, dried off and made our way aft and towards deck 6. Our room was just two doors away from our room in October. This area of the ship receives almost no foot traffic and stays very quite. When we made it to 6150 we noticed DVC has updated their door magnets. This one was pretty unique as it was actually nine different magnets in one.
IMG_8408.JPG

The room was perfect.
IMG_8420.JPG

IMG_8415.JPG

IMG_8416.JPG

IMG_8417.JPG

IMG_8418.JPG

IMG_8419.JPG

IMG_8446.JPG

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom