Trip Report Going for platinum, a Pro9het surf story.

Hello again! I debated a while if this TR would even happen but you see how that turned out. My TRs started having me feel like I was stuck in a strange version of Ground Hog Day. “Oh look there’s a DCL ship”, “Lets welcome the McGillicutty family”, “There’s Palo again”, “Castaway Cay”, and “#tonyfromspain”. All that said, I figured there were enough firsts on this trip to justify another TR. Some of those firsts include a new departure port, new port of call, and #tonyfromspain is on vacation so we have a new entertainment personality. If you need a small glimpse at some back story, here are a few: 20/40 Trip, Surf 'n' Turf 2018, and Bermuda,

So lets get some details out of the way first.
WHO: The cast includes my better half, @imahistorygeek, and myself.
IMG_2763.JPG

WHAT: Disney Magic 5-night itinerary
WHEN: This trip took place between January 3-9
WHERE: Port of Miami with stops at Grand Cayman and Castaway Cay.
WHY: Why not?

As the title suggests, this was our 10th DCL trip pushing us into their "Platinum Castaway Club". All this really means is we get to book earlier and eat at Palo for free, but hey, free Palo is free Palo! The trip does include another beer exchange and dinner at Palo but also includes a new beverage seminar, new port, and a glimpse of Cuba.

So there are the details. Up next we will leave a cold and rainy Georgia for warm and sunny Florida.

lostpro9het

Original Poster
Day 4, at sea, con't.

After checking out the atrium it was time for Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker in 3D. I'm not a fan of 3D movies but I am a fan of SW and making my bride happy and this satisfied both. We made our way to the Buena Vista Theater to check on seats.
IMG_8796.JPG

IMG_8797.JPG

I guess between early dining and the entertainment going on in the atrium folks were not interested in this showing. This just meant we had the pick of the theater for seats. My DW decided she wanted some popcorn with the movie so we went to check out the snack options. Plenty to choose from.
IMG_8805.JPG

While getting our popcorn the CM working the booth asked me what I was drinking tonight. I thought he was asking me if I wanted to order a water/soda and said no thank you. Then he said, "No, what beer are you on tonight?". I did a double take and then realized he was one of the CMs at the beer exchange earlier in the week asking questions about our beers. I told him I was up to the Sad Panda, see below, and had been enjoying my picks this week. He went into detail about some of the different beers he's had while working with DCL and loved the idea of the exchanges and wishing he could participate too. I thought it cool that four days later he recognized me from the first day after dealing with so many guests and remembered the beer exchange. As for tonight's beer it was Horse & Dragon's Sad Panda Coffee Stout. I gave it a 3.5/5 and thought it was a little bitter.
IMG_8854.JPG

lostpro9het

Original Poster
Day 4, at sea, con't.

After our movie it was time for dinner. Tonight's rotational dining had us at Rapunzel's Royal Table.
IMG_8808.JPG

IMG_8811.JPG

There were some friends waiting to greet us as we entered the dining room. I felt it appropriate not to smile...
IMG_8809.JPG

But couldn't keep from smiling here.
IMG_8810.JPG

This is probably my favorite rotational dining room on the ships. Both the themeing and entertainment is tough to beat.
IMG_8812.JPG

IMG_8814.JPG

IMG_8813.JPG

lostpro9het

Original Poster
Day 4, at sea, con't.

After our first round of friends paid us a visit our food started to arrive. For apps we went with the Snuggly Duckling Platter and the Ravioli Tiroler. Both were excellent.
IMG_8830.JPG

IMG_8831.JPG

For mains I went with the Flynn Rider Platter. I first tried this back in October and it was just ok. This time was a big improvement. The pork belly and bockwurst were excellent. The smoked pork loin chop was still on the over cooked side of things.
IMG_8836.JPG

My bride went with Oktoberfest Lemon & Thyme Roasted Chicken, she was a fan.
IMG_8837.JPG

While we finished off our mains some more friends stopped by to say hello.
IMG_8838.JPG

IMG_8842.JPG

Flynn came in talking a big smolder game. The table was pretty intimidated but I still challenged him to a smolderoff and then blasted him with Blue Steel...nuff'said ;-)
IMG_8843.JPG

lostpro9het

Original Poster
Day 4, at sea, con't.

Between mains and dessert the party funtivities kicked in with the lighting of the lanterns followed by the birthday parade.

After that our dessert menus arrived.
IMG_8846.JPG

IMG_8848.JPG

We went with some coffee and shared the Rapunzel's Fry Pan Sweet Bread, this is sooooo good.
IMG_8849.JPG

IMG_8850.JPG

Another great dinner in the books. We said goodnight to our table mates and made our way to POP trivia at Fathoms then called it a night. We had a little surprise waiting for us back at our stateroom. I think this may have been our first stingray creation.
IMG_8851.JPG

IMG_8853.JPG

RememberWhen

Day 4, at sea, con't.

After our first round of friends paid us a visit our food started to arrive. For apps we went with the Snuggly Duckling Platter and the Ravioli Tiroler. Both were excellent.
View attachment 477255
View attachment 477257

For mains I went with the Flynn Rider Platter. I first tried this back in October and it was just ok. This time was a big improvement. The pork belly and bockwurst were excellent. The smoked pork loin chop was still on the over cooked side of things.
View attachment 477258

My bride went with Oktoberfest Lemon & Thyme Roasted Chicken, she was a fan.
View attachment 477259

While we finished off our mains some more friends stopped by to say hello.
View attachment 477260

View attachment 477261

Flynn came in talking a big smolder game. The table was pretty intimidated but I still challenged him to a smolderoff and then blasted him with Blue Steel...nuff'said ;-)
View attachment 477262
You totally won!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom