Going down in April

sbkline

We're tentatively planning a trip in April 2007. Only thing is, we have a newborn who is a month old today. He will be almost a year by then and, in our opinion, is too young to take down there if at all possible. We want to have one of the sets of grandparents watch him, but if we are unable to obtain a sitter for two weeks, I told the wife I'd rather take him and have our style cramped a bit than to not go at all.

Now, I know many rides that an infant can NOT go on, such as the Mountains, for example. And I know several that he COULD go on, such as the slow moving boat rides. But there are alot of "iffy" ones that I am not sure of.

Can an infant be brought onto such tame rides as Dumbo and Alladin's Carpets? The fact that riders must buckle in tells me that the answer would probably be "no", but I just thought I'd check.

schachteles

We just had my daughter down there with us...she was just a year old and she could go on all of those ride...she rode Dumbo, the Magic Carpets, The Orbit Ride, Buzz Light Year...she even could have gone on the cars in Tomorrowland, but my DH chose to sit out with her. It is hard to be there with a baby...but personally I would so much rather bring my kid then leave them behind. When my DH or I went on a ride that the girls couldn't we either got fast passes or did the baby swap. It actually worked out very well. And DD1 LOVED the different rides...especially the Tea Cups and Small World.

ENJOY!

Upvote 0

sbkline

Original Poster
One year olds are allowed on the teacups? I figured surely they would not be allowed on that ride.

I'd still prefer to leave the kid at home, as I like to be at the parks until closing time, and a baby would have to be put to bed alot earlier than that. But it's still something to think about. Part of me would like to take him with us, but I think it would be more practical to leave him with the grandparents. I guess we have the next ten months to think about it, though.

Upvote 0

schachteles

Yeah we just let our DD sleep when she wanted...and most times by the end of the night she was sacked out in the stroller and I would just go shopping with her with my DH and other DD went on the rides.

I was amazed to see a baby that was like 6 weeks going on that orbit ride in Tomorrowland...that ride really gets spinning.

We found that most rides DD1 could go on...she did NOT like the 3D movies. There really wasn't a lot of things for her to go on outside of Magic Kingdom.

Like you said...you have ten months to figure it out.

Upvote 0

maggiegrace1

We just went in April with my daughter who was 8 months old at the time..she did all of the fantasyland rides and all of the shows...And a lot of other shows and rides....It was no problem at all..Just do what the baby needs..take breaks and follow His lead....You should have no problems at all..my baby has a feeding tube also and we had no problems finding places to feed her and everyone was great...Just enjoy yourself and dont rush and everything will be great...:)..She loved Dumbo and We did muppet vision several times cause she loved it so much...We loved seeing her face...

Upvote 0

schachteles

sbkline said:
Totally off the subject, but I have to ask...what does DD, and DH and D1 mean?

DH is Dear Husband
DD is Dear Daughter
DD1 is what I do to say my 1 year old Dear Daughter

It is lingo that you will learn on the boards...I know I was TOTALLY lost when I started.

Upvote 0

olive10tails

We're going in Sept of this year with my 2-3 month old (depending on when he decides to enter the earth). We talked alot about it and decided that it wouldn't be a vacation without him and WDW is a family place. He will be our only child so we want him to experience everything he can as soon as he can. We think he'll have a ball--they really do soak positive things up at that age. I know alot of people who took down age-appropriate front carriers for rides; they said it worked out really well.

Upvote 0

SallyShine

The best thing about WDW is that as your children grow up, your vacation experience changes. Take the baby and have fun doing all of the little kid things. As they grow, you can start adding more and more things to do. We started taking our kids as babies and now I have two teenagers. We have a blast at WDW. But we also had a wonderful time when they were little. It's really more magical when they are young.

Upvote 0

3fordisney

I can't imagine going without our DS. He is and will remain an only child. We took him for the first time when he was 2. We will go for our 3rd trip this fall and he will be 4 then. It is so different taking a little one. Best advice is to let the little one take the lead. When he gets tired, we go rest. We ride what he wants and see the shows he would like. Just like when you become a parent, everything becomes about the child and a WDW trip is no different.

My sister has taken both her girls when they were infants. She wouldn't do it any other way. Its really up to you and how your child reacts. We had taken ours on several trips before our first WDW trip. He made adjustments to strange enviroments easily and is good to travel.

You have a good amount of time before you have to decide. Keep in mind that it will not be like any trip you took there before having kids. It is really worth seeing the look on your child's face when they see it all for the first time.

There are several rides you can take the little one on and the ones you can not, you can do the hand off where one parent stays with the child while the other one rides and then the parents switch places. There is so much to do and you would not have a problem staying entertained!:dazzle:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom