GMR Rumor

JTinCT

Original Poster
A rumor that i have heard about the Great Movie Ride is that there was an idea for it to be changed into a 3-D Simulator ride with a villains theme, similar to the spiderman ride at Universal.

sounds cool, but we cant lose GMR!!!

:( :( :(

Pioneer Hall

Originally posted by JTinCT
A rumor that i have heard about the Great Movie Ride is that there was an idea for it to be changed into a 3-D Simulator ride with a villains theme, similar to the spiderman ride at Universal.

sounds cool, but we cant lose GMR!!!

:( :( :(

If you click search and put in something like Great Movie Ride Rumor you will see a bunch of threads that we have had about this topic. There were a lot so please look.

Timekeeper

Stimulation / Simulation...

I think that the GMR would work, as is, with a fast-paced moving omnidirectional motion rig. One reason why I favor Dinosaur over Spider-Man is that the environments are "real," and not just 3-dimensional motion pictures. Spider-Man is effective because it's a hybrid of the two.

It is not within the nature of WDI to convert the GMR into merely a clone of another theme-park's technology. I do, however, believe that it needs a complete overhaul. And I think that new ride vehicles is the first step in that direction.

Take the Spider-Man ride vehicles for example. If these were brought into the GMR, they would not take up as much space. This means that WDI could fit more scenes from other/new movies into the attraction. They could also process more gph (guests per hour.)

I think the GMR needs to exist, in one form or another. But I agree in that it is time for a metamorphosis of sorts.

Tk

Buzzforprez

They can't get rid of TGMR. It is too good to go. It could use a lil updating though. And why no bubbles during the first scene sometimes?

kaos

Originally posted by Buzzforprez
They can't get rid of TGMR. It is too good to go. It could use a lil updating though. And why no bubbles during the first scene sometimes?

Just like the bubble blowers we sell at the disney store... sometimes, they just run out of juice.

Disneynutcase

Don't get me wrong. The GMR in concept is something great. However, as it is now, the GMR is a dinosaur that pales in comparision to almost everything else on hand in Disney Studios--except for maybe the Back Lot Tour which is truly sucky.

Since the GMR and BLT (as well as Star Tours) are the so-called "movie" attractions, then it's high time someone reinvent them into something of higher quality.

True, a few of the audio anamatronics w/in GMR are cool and first rate. I particularly like the end Wizard of Oz scene. But overall, most of it is about as effective as a walk thru a good wax museum.

Now a ride that actually attempts to immerse you in the midst of some of Hollywood's greatest scenes would be cool. Lame as it's become, Star Tours does that. So do so many of the rides at Universal, like Men in Black and Back To the Future.

I'm for the potential of this rumored make-over.
Disney Studios is going to be needing something new soon as it is since all the other parks seem to be getting all the new attractions--otherwise the park will end up being nothing more than a half-day tour for most repeat guests.

And again, I like the overal concept of what the GMR is attempting to be. 12 years ago, this was as good as an attempt as anyone could make. However, A LOT of technology has changed over the years that could and should be utilized to re-do this ride into something as great, innovative, and popular as the Tower of Terror and Rock 'n' Roller Coaster.

MKingdom25

I would agree that the GMR might need a overhaul but I wouldn't change the main theme of it. I think one idea they might try is to make the whole ride like the part where you interact with live people in scenes and the robber steals your car. In other words, make it like an extended action/stunt/interactive scene but keep live people and mix in some anamatronics.
What do you think? :lookaroun

Sketch105

As much as I would love for this whole "Villian Idea" using CAVE technology to come true, I still like the old movie ride. Its an entertaining rumor though, I must say.

Speaking of the Great Movie Ride, in the Alien scene, has the Alien who comes from the side wall worked? The last few times I've been, only the one that is in the ceiling has worked.

I for one love the GMR it's a great place to get off your feet and enjoy a trip back in time. :)

Now if they are going to rehab the ride totally, I'd love to see them actually do the last scene as it was originally intended to be. That would be very nice.

From what I understand, originally the last scene was going to be inside Emerald City and the "Great and Powerful Oz" would be on one side and all the Wizard of Oz Characters on the other. The scene would play out just like in the movie with Dorothy going home to Kansas, and you going back to the "real world."

Although I still get goosebumps and chills when I hear the theme to Gone With The Wind, that's when I know I'm really in GMR. :)

WDWFREAK53

I agree that the GMR should definitely be updated...but...I do NOT think the theme of the attraction should change to become a Villains ride...and I do NOT think it should be changed into an E-ticket ride. I also wouldn't use Spiderman ride vehicles...I'd use the same vehicles used in Pooh...Very small...and in that building, you could probably DOUBLE (if not more) the amount of scenes that currently make home to the GMR. The cars could interact with the scenes as well...(Sorceror Mickey part could have the car feeling like it was floating) You could have the twister scene from the Wizard of Oz and have the car spin. I also think that the Mary Poppins scene could have the cars raise up and down like you're flying. The alien scene could zig-zag in and out of grabbing aliens :) This attraction has SOOOOO much potential to be not only a family ride...but a very FUN family ride...full of laughs and repeat visits!!!

DisneyGal

The Great Movie Ride could stand to be updated, but definitely not redone totally. I know that the hat totally hides the Chinese theatre now, which would be a great time to make some changes.

Nightwing

I really hope they update this ride soon! As much as I love Fast Thrill Rides, they need to keep this attraction more of a dar-ride/family ride. The hat in front of this attraction gives them the perfect chance to redo this ride NOW! I hope Eisner and Team is working on some ideas.

goonsquads57

Didn't Walt Disney make some "great movies"? How about a scene showing an animatronic Walt working at his desk in California, or heading a meeting with a storyboard in the backround? I think it would be great to incorporate Walt Disney, the man, in the GMR.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Whatever they do with Star Tours GMR or backlot, I just hope they build something new before they start work on these. The park needs more atractions not fewer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom