GM Test Track VIP Lounge article

gdub918

Good article. I was actually "backstage" at TT in May for an exec. meeting.
Got through with the meeting and Mike took us to the front of the line for a ride. :animwink:

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Woody13 said:
Well, GM is close to going bankrupt. I think they'll end their sponsorship in 2009.

Good, then hopefully they can tear TT out and put in something worthwhile. Don't care what it is, as long as it isn't the garbage known as Test Track.

CaptainMichael

Thrawn said:
Good, then hopefully they can tear TT out and put in something worthwhile. Don't care what it is, as long as it isn't the garbage known as Test Track.
Yes, TT is probably one of the most overrated attractions in Walt Disney World!

Thrawn

Account Suspended
STR8FAN2005 said:
Yes, TT is probably one of the most overrated attractions in Walt Disney World!

Agreed. The only time I will waste time on it is if I'm at WDW with someone who has never been there before. Otherwise I skip it.

shmmrname

TT isn't breathtaking, but I, as well as most of the people I go to WDW with, like it much better than Mission: Space. It tells a story, somewhat, and I don't see how it is all that terrible.
I mean it's not even the worst "car-themed" ride in WDW...
Plus, with two of the three larger attractions in EPCOT being simulation-based, it's nice to have something that focuses on true movement.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Obviously enough other people don't share your lofty criteria and actually enjoy it, hence consistent long lines, yells and squeals on each ride and those awful smiles as folks depart.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
ClemsonTigger said:
Obviously enough other people don't share your lofty criteria and actually enjoy it, hence consistent long lines, yells and squeals on each ride and those awful smiles as folks depart.

The long lines have more to do with the constant breakdowns and low ride capacity than longevity. Same as M:S can eat up a huge amount of guests at once, keeping the line artificially short.

I don't have a problem with people enjoying the ride. It would have been more worth it had it had the original 95mph victory lap. However, it simply isn't a must see attraction. But thanks for attacking my personal view on the ride. Some people don't like SGE and want it taken out, do you get upset with them too?

TP2000

I have found it interesting that Disneyland here in California has ended it's sponsorship agreements with General Motors. Honda is now the new Disneyland sponsor of Innoventions exhibits, Disneyland Grad Nite's, etc. Disneyland is even giving a Honda away a day to one random Guest at the Disneyland main entrance every day in October, with a big Honda display out in the plaza.

It kind of makes sense to me, since very few West Coasters drive a GM vehicle, except for trucks, a Corvette or two and an occasional lil' old lady from Pasadena in a Cadillac. Hondas rule the freeways here, along with Lexus/Toyota/Acura/Scion/BMW/ blah-blah-blah, so I can see why Disneyland would want to distance itself from a dying, un-hip brand like GM.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see the GM sponsorship end at WDW in 2009, assuming GM as we know it is actually still around in 2009.

And you know what they say... "You meet the nicest people on a Honda" :cool:

Empress Room

Thrawn said:
The long lines have more to do with the constant breakdowns and low ride capacity than longevity.

Do you really think so? I'd be surprised if TT's long lines "have more to do with" its supposed mechanical problems (and low ride capacity) rather than its popularity. I can appreciate that you personally do not like the ride, and also appreciate your decision to share those feelings with the Board, but I'd guess that most of TT's long lines have more to do with its word-of-mouth positive reviews. I would hazard to guess that there are many guests who appreciate TT's speed, innovative ride system and outdoor experience. It is certainly a "thrill" ride alternative for those who either do not like or otherwise do not want to chance a ride on M:S.

Now if there's some objective evidence to the contrary supporting your apparent theory that TT is "garbage" and unpopular and therefore should be torn out (e.g. guest surveys, interviews or comments from imagineers) I think a lot of people would like to see that. On the other hand, if what you are presenting is simply your subjective feelings about the attraction, possibly a better forum for that would be "Polls" or you could start a new "who hates TT and why" thread.

bgraham34

I would not be surprised if GM tries to get out of the sponsorship somehow.

Its a shame they cant make a decent car anymore.

ssidiouss@mac.c

Test Track to me is great... I love the first time when I rode it when it seemed like you were about to hit the wall and it popped up and turned into the fast lap outside.

Test Track is a must do on my list for when I go back to Disney World this december.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
bgraham34 said:
Its a shame they cant make a decent car anymore.

They can, but then the beancounters ruin it, and then they decide the American marketplace isn't ready for it, and VOILA, we have the current National/Alamo rental car fleet, and thousands of cars with stellar depreciation, poor handling characteristics, and almost zero desirability.

Thank god they have the Corvette, Solstice, GTO, and the upcoming Sky... as well as the Caddy/Saab lineup (except for the DTS and Escalade)... the only GM vehicles worth anything out of the entire US lineup.

Huge Dreamer

mkt said:
Thank god they have the Corvette, Solstice, GTO, and the upcoming Sky... as well as the Caddy/Saab lineup (except for the DTS and Escalade)... the only GM vehicles worth anything out of the entire US lineup.

You forgot the Hummer.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Huge Dreamer said:
You forgot the Hummer.

no I didn't.

The H1 is cool, but pointless unless you live next door to the Montana Militia.

The H2 is just a pointless image vehicle. And a POS on top of that (I totalled one and it was GM's fault. Snapped a tie rod while test driving it at a Dealerships off road trail. Lost traction and rolled into another H2 behind me. Not my fault whatsoever). It's a fat bloated pig of an SUV.

The H3... MAYBE. I need to see further engines/trim levels and options before I can make a decision. It's not too big, good off road, better on fuel than one would expect.

Not to mention, with the current Gas Prices, I'm pretty much anti-SUV

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom