Globe Malfunction on Illuminations

RickEff

Original Poster
Hiya, folks

Last night the globe ceased spinning then wouldn't open during Illuminations. Anyone know if it was just a small problem or a big one?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
It happens occasionally, I hear it's been pretty reliable recently though after a bit of a bad patch around Sep 07.

hpyhnt 1000

Yes, this happens occasionally. It better not happen when I'm there this weekend!

BTW, didn't they just refurb it? I thought they went in to update the LED screens a couple months ago to make them clearer. Or am I mistaken? :confused:

AstareGod

I just saw it tonight and everything appeared to be working properly. I'm not sure about the refurb... maybe someone else can clear that up.

dreamlives1984

I concur

Yeah I was there tonight as well and the show was simply beautiful. The globe appeared to be functioning correctly and everything else seemed to be in working order. We did get caught in a lot of loose debris though, which is strange because we were standing quite far back from the lagoon in the courtyard of Japan. I got something in my eye and it was superrrr-irritating. ;)

lwalker8

I was there tonight too and the show was terrific. Oddly enough I was also standing in the Japan courtyard and had the same problem with raining ash. Ash in the eyes is no fun:dazzle:

MythBuster

Sunday night the Globe had a problem, but it was repaired Monday morning and worked fine for the show.

No, the rehab hasn't happened yet. They are going to change out all the LED's to a different type, but no date has been set yet.

The smart thing to do while before watching the show, look where the wind is blowing from and stand upwind especially now because of the extra fireworks with the holiday tag added.

Fun2BFree

Is it wrong that when I read the thread title I envisioned the globe shooting the finale missile-fireworks at guests? :lookaroun

hpyhnt 1000

Sunday night the Globe had a problem, but it was repaired Monday morning and worked fine for the show.

No, the rehab hasn't happened yet. They are going to change out all the LED's to a different type, but no date has been set yet.

The smart thing to do while before watching the show, look where the wind is blowing from and stand upwind especially now because of the extra fireworks with the holiday tag added.

Thank you! With that info, I'm guessing/hoping that refurb will proabably take place early 2008 after the holiday peak time.

tecowdw

Yeah I was there tonight as well and the show was simply beautiful. The globe appeared to be functioning correctly and everything else seemed to be in working order. We did get caught in a lot of loose debris though, which is strange because we were standing quite far back from the lagoon in the courtyard of Japan. I got something in my eye and it was superrrr-irritating. ;)

A few weeks back I saw Illuminations and was in the debris field also. That was the first time I had been in that. Definitely alot of fine particles with the occasional bigger piece of burnt cardboard falling...and smoke, of course. Still enjoyed the show though.

Note to self...don't forget to check the wind direction before staking out a spot!
:rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom