Glen Keane Resigns from Disney Animation

FigmentJedi

Original Poster
Found this on Cartoon Brew

This'll probably get moved, but it's just so important I'm posting it here.

March 23, 2012 Dear Colleagues and Friends of the Walt Disney Animation Studio, After long and thoughtful consideration, I have decided to leave Disney Animation. I am convinced that animation really is the ultimate art form of our time with endless new territories to explore. I can’t resist it’s siren call to step out and discover them. Disney has been my artistic home since September 9,1974. I owe so much to those great animators who mentored me—Eric Larson, Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston—as well as to the many other wonderful people at Disney whom I have been fortunate to work with in the past nearly 38 years. Over these four decades I have seen so many changes, but the one thing that remains the same is that we all do this because we love it. I am humbled and deeply honored to have worked side by side so many artists, producers and directors during my career here at Disney, and I am tremendously proud of the films which together we have created. I will deeply miss working with you. With my most sincere and heartfelt good wishes for your and Disney’s continued artistic growth and success, Glen

stitch2008

Found this on Cartoon Brew

This'll probably get moved, but it's just so important I'm posting it here.

Had a feeling this was coming. He's been there so long. And there is a lot of directorial talent there right now.

I'm waiting for the first person to blame Bob Iger for it. I know it's coming.

WDW1974

Had a feeling this was coming. He's been there so long. And there is a lot of directorial talent there right now.

It's Iger's fault.

Happy?

I'm not as Glen is a master in the business.

FigmentJedi

Original Poster
Probably left for similar reasons as Andreas Deja did (though he termed it "an extended leave of absence"). They've got a solid story project pipeline going now, but not that much 2D stuff.

stitch2008

If you are Bob Iger and trying to rebuild WDFA, then you do everything you can to keep a talent like Glen.

I'm sure (and will talk with folks out west) that it likely came down to his large compensation package.

Glen is great. And I'd try and keep him. But if I am Bob Iger and I'm trying to rebuild WDAS, I would do everything I could to find young, creative, and energetic talent. Why? Cause you need younger talent to build off of for the future.

That's just me though.

lazyboy97o

Glen is great. And I'd try and keep him. But if I am Bob Iger and I'm trying to rebuild WDAS, I would do everything I could to find young, creative, and energetic talent. Why? Cause you need younger talent to build off of for the future.

That's just me though.
But without an institutional history you are stuck starting from scratch trying to reinvent what you already invented. The lack of institutional history is a problem throughout The Walt Disney Company.

choco choco

Anyone find it a coincidence that the day Glen Keane's resignation leaks that there is also the leak of "The Sweatbox" the documentary about Disney Animation that Disney banned from being released?

MarkTwain

^ I'm thinking it's just coincidence.

I really want to give Iger the benefit of the doubt, and assume that Keane is leaving of his own free will, unlike those who were "gently" nudged toward the door like Marty Sklar and Tom Delaney. I would imagine even seniority-phobic Disney would know to keep Keane around so soon after his masterful work on Tangled, and how likely it was responsible for the film's success. I bet it really did come down to his advancing age and career, and his wishes to make a few last progressive pushes at the edges of animation's envelope before he retired.

...I hope, anyway.

Tigger1988

Anyone find it a coincidence that the day Glen Keane's resignation leaks that there is also the leak of "The Sweatbox" the documentary about Disney Animation that Disney banned from being released?

The Sweatbox leaked online months ago, the internet at large just found it yesterday. No connection.

HMButler79

Yet, magical pixie fanobis are still laboring under the delusion that Iger "saved" WDFA and 2-D. yes, letting the animator the Bear sequence in Fox and Hound, Ariel, Beast, Aladdin, Pochahontas, John Silver et al, just go is TOTALLY going to help WDFA. :rolleyes:

Magic Man 85

Yeah. Thanks champ.

That's just me though.

Have a bad day yesterday Stitch? :wave:

I work with Stitch everyday and just new he'd blow up on here. He's got nothing against you 74. :wave: He just doesn't like to go straight to the top to place blame. He prefers to go after people in individual departments instead. That combined with a terrible Friday probably made him sounds like a prick. :lol:

stitch2008

Have a bad day yesterday Stitch? :wave:

I work with Stitch everyday and just new he'd blow up on here. He's got nothing against you 74. :wave: He just doesn't like to go straight to the top to place blame. He prefers to go after people in individual departments instead. That combined with a terrible Friday probably made him sounds like a prick. :lol:

I do blame more people inside. But also realize that maybe Glen wanted to go his own way. I mean he had a chance to jump ship to DreamWorks last year and didn't take it. Plus he just might be tired of studio life and wants to try something different on his own.

As for the day yesterday, you were a prick too. Anyone on this site would be the same way if they went through what we went through Thursday and Friday.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom