Give Me Your Best Disney Memes

Beacon Joe

This is just a plain old video still, but I feel like this image has great potential.

WDW Exercise.jpg

Goofyernmost

That is so correct. I have found nothing more frustrating then to hear people, even Disney saying that splash mountain is based on Song of the South. The actuality is that the movie was built around the Br'er Rabbit stories that existed decades before Walt was even born, I think. Splash is built around the Classic books of Joel Chandler Harris (1848-1908) collected the folktales of Southern African Americans and retold them as classic stories of Uncle Remus. The ride does not contain any of the objectionable parts seen in the movie. It is not about the movie, it is nothing like the movie and is specifically designed after the Uncle Remus stories. The problem is that modern folks never were educated on the make up of the books. The make up of the books focused in on the wisdom of early African Americans in this country. Heck, even the movie does that. It is the white postwar-overlords of the south that came across looking small, foolish and somewhat evil. So they are not ending an offensive racists connection to American History, they are ending a very positive set of wisdom coming from the stories of African American (freed slaves) in this country that is a major part of Black history.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom