Give me 5 reasons why I should book AKL

dovetail65

There
Contemplating moving our Thanksgiving WL booking to AKL so we can have CL access. Family of four, kids 6 and 1. Splitting the other half of the trip at the Poly.

Give me 5 reasons why I should make the switch AKL lovers!
There is only one reason for me, theme. It is not closer to any parks than other hotels, some can say it's location is a drawback. It's not cheaper, it doesn't really have much of "Disney" for little kids as other Disney hotels and you can't even get to the Ak Park walking from there. A rental car for me is needed at that resort, especially if I was traveling with my kids at 1 and 6, I wanted to get to that that minivan many times with my kids and that mini van was savior for us.

Splitting it with the Poly is smart because if the kids and you don't think the theme is all that at AK (if you even see the animals much) I am betting Poly turns out to be better for you with those kids, especially if you don't plan on getting a rental car.

It may be just me, but with my kids and even at most ages I preferred Poly, Contemporary and Fort Wilderness Cabins. Those are the only Disney hotels I personally would even consider getting with small kids and no rental car. In that heat if the kids don't feel well all of a sudden trying to get back from certain parks to AK can be a tough situation if you need rely carting the kids around on Disney transportation.

Nala06

Original Poster
There

There is only one reason for me, theme. It is not closer to any parks than other hotels, some can say it's location is a drawback. It's not cheaper, it doesn't really have much of "Disney" for little kids as other Disney hotels and you can't even get to the Ak Park walking from there. A rental car for me is needed at that resort, especially if I was traveling with my kids at 1 and 6, I wanted to get to that that minivan many times with my kids and that mini van was savior for us.

Splitting it with the Poly is smart because if the kids and you don't think the theme is all that at AK (if you even see the animals much) I am betting Poly turns out to be better for you with those kids, especially if you don't plan on getting a rental car.

It may be just me, but with my kids and even at most ages I preferred Poly, Contemporary and Fort Wilderness Cabins. Those are the only Disney hotels I personally would even consider getting with small kids and no rental car. In that heat if the kids don't feel well all of a sudden trying to get back from certain parks to AK can be a tough situation if you need rely carting the kids around on Disney transportation.
Poly and WL are our go to resorts, so it’s hard to break from tradition! But maybe a few nights at AKL would be a good way to try it out. You never know, it might become a new favorite!

aliceismad

For me, the monorail resorts are, and always will be the pinnacle of the Disney bubble. That said, AKL is, IMO, the best themed and most beautiful resort of them all. What a unique experience to have a room overlooking the savanna.
I would include the Epcot resorts as well as the monorail resorts. But I agree that AKL is my favorite resort at WDW. The uniqueness of it is well worth the minor inconvenience.

tpoly88

The # 1 reason most are attracted to the resort is the animals. You get to have close up views of wandering animals from the rooms.. Savanna view are better situated for that. But there is also the guest overlook and other viewing areas that are open to you.
#2. It is a beautiful resort with great theming all around. Very unique. Spacious rooms.
#3. Cost. Of the resorts it is a bit more affordable and still gives you the luxury rooms and conveniences.
#4. The restaurants. Boma, Sanaa, Jiko. Great menus and consistently quality foods.
#5. Evening campfires and recreation for the kids. Nice pool areas.
agree with this. the hotel is really nice and the food great. just check as i think they are doing a pool refurbishment. the CL there is probably the best on property.

Ghostdog

It’s an AWESOME resort to stay at. Fabulous dining options; you can’t go wrong with Sanaa (get the bread service)!! The animal viewing, there is nothing that compares. I could sit on any of the verandas all day and just watch the animals. If you can splurge and get a savanna view then do it; we quite enjoyed having a balcony go sit on every morning and evening. It really is just a totally different and BEAUTIFUL resort!!

LovePop

Benefits of AKL:

1. Buses seem frequent, more so than other hotels.
2. The vibe feels exotic, luxury African.
3. Got a lot of highly ranked restaurants. (Even if you can't get a dinner reservation, you can order takeouts by phone app.)
4. Got 2 different waterslide pools, both of which you are allowed to use. Kidana has a baby slide.
5. Cheapest deluxe hotel.

I didn't mention animals because I'm not interested. Do note that there are more mosquitos because you are living in a zoo. My son spent too much time on the balcony at night, fell asleep, and was covered with mosquito bites the next day. The rest of the family had a couple of bites each.

Nala06

Original Poster
I’m really leaning towards starting our trip here for a few days before heading over to the Poly to finish for a week. It would be over actual Thanksgiving, and we planned so avoid parks most of those first few days due to crowds, so that would be perfect to enjoy everything AKL has to offer. I really appreciate everyone’s insight!!

aliceismad

We own at Animal Kingdom Lodge, and one of our favorite things to do is to get up with a cup of coffee and look at the animals. I've stayed at AK 4 times, and it hasn't gotten old.

BTW, here's my list:
1. Giraffes
2. Zebras
3. Gazelles
4. Bongo
5. Wildebeest
There's an okapi on the smaller savannah at Kidani. That was our favorite. My daughter really wants to go back and see Casanova the hornbill, though, after watching the Disney+ episodes on the animals.

melodonnell

I am an owner at AKL, and it is my favorite resort of them all! But, I love the Christmas decorations at Wilderness Lodge the best. We stayed there in early December when my kids were 3 and 4, and I bought them Disney footed pjs and made their picture in front of the huge WL tree and put them on our Christmas cards that year. On the other hand though, my kids love all the activities at Jambo House and Kidani Village. I don't know how many activities will be available when you visit since they changed things due to COVID, but my kids have "hidden" treats in hollow logs which were then taken out to the savannah for the animals to find, tracked a stuffed Mickey using tracking equipment like they do on the savannah in Africa, and played a JENGA game where you had to take away a block if you drew a card with an activity that harmed the environment or add a block if your card benefited the environment. Each of these activities earns the kids a "bead" which they can use to make a piece of jewelry or put on their backpack, etc. The animals are wonderful and I love watching and photographing them, but I don't think I would spend the extra money on a safari view room as there are plenty of viewing areas throughout the resort that don't cost anything. We did a savannah view room and although we loved it, we felt we spent more time in the public areas than on our balcony. There were areas where we could get closer to some animals or there was an activity or keeper in the public areas. At Kidani there is a community hall with lots of games and arts & crafts for the kids, and a fire pit surrounded by rocking chairs, which sounds wonderful in November/December. I do think the decorations at AKL are gorgeous, but they are African themed and the Wilderness Lodge décor is more of what I remember growing up, so that gives me a comfort/homey feeling. There also used to be free cookie or cupcake decorating each day and a free "kitchen" tour where you got to sample a few items and learn about the décor, cooking methods, seasonings, etc. There is always so much to do at AKL. I like the pool at Kidani better than Jambo, both are great, but there is a wonderful splash park at Kidani for smaller kids to play on. The Wilderness Lodge seems more like "home" to me at Christmas, but there is a lot of stuff to do and see and learn at AKL, AKL is a little farther out than the other resorts, but it never seemed like much of an issue to me when we stayed there. Whatever you decide, have a wonderful trip!

sup

if you need strangers to find any reason for you to spend thousands of dollars, you simply shouldn't go and send me the money instead. I don't need strangers to spend my money for me.

MickeyCB

It would be over actual Thanksgiving, and we planned so avoid parks most of those first few days due to crowds,
One year at Thanksgiving we went to Discovery Cove that day (or maybe the day after), and it was amazing! They only accept a limited number of guests each day and it wasn't crowded at all. It's a little pricey but at the time food was included with admission.

lightguy

I'd keep it at WL, you can't go wrong, especially at Christmas (Thanksgiving is part of Christmas, right? LOL)

We just got back from a split stay that ended at AKL Jambo House. We had a 1BR DVC savanna view villa. It was nice, but we honestly didn't see that many animals (at least not close to the room) and from the 5th and 6th floor your really high above them. FYI, they haven't reopened the hotel part yet (I think it opens in late August), just DVC, so the Club Level was closed, all the restaurants except the QS were closed, the gift shop was even closed. I bet staffing is going to be rough when they reopen. Thanksgiving gives them 2 months or so to work the bugs out, but still, they have ALOT of new cast members everywhere trying to figure out their jobs. Can't tell you how many of them told us it was there first day/week on the job.

Nala06

Original Poster
I'd keep it at WL, you can't go wrong, especially at Christmas (Thanksgiving is part of Christmas, right? LOL)

We just got back from a split stay that ended at AKL Jambo House. We had a 1BR DVC savanna view villa. It was nice, but we honestly didn't see that many animals (at least not close to the room) and from the 5th and 6th floor your really high above them. FYI, they haven't reopened the hotel part yet (I think it opens in late August), just DVC, so the Club Level was closed, all the restaurants except the QS were closed, the gift shop was even closed. I bet staffing is going to be rough when they reopen. Thanksgiving gives them 2 months or so to work the bugs out, but still, they have ALOT of new cast members everywhere trying to figure out their jobs. Can't tell you how many of them told us it was there first day/week on the job.
Well i went to book last week and availability was gone for my dates. I ended up finding a few nights in a 1 bedroom at copper creek, so I took that instead before we switch over to the Poly. So we are excited about that!

i agree, the lodge at christmas just has a different feel that is hard to give up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom