Girls Weekend Getaway on the Disney Dream

I have never done a Pre-TR before, but since I am doing a few little things to get us in the mood, thought I would go ahead and start this one.

First things first - introductions and specifics

Sailing on this cruise will be one of my closest friends (since 3rd grade, which was 38 years ago!), Becky. And of course, me!

We will be sailing a 3-nighter on the Disney Dream, October 4-7, 2012.

Becky and me at our High School Graduation, 1984
HSGraduation.jpg

Becky will arrive at MCO sometime on October 3rd (I will drive down from Jax and pick her up), and we will spend the night in Cocoa Beach, either at the Best Western Oceanfront (already have an oceanfront room secured there) or the Resort on Cocoa Beach.

This trip has been a few years in the making, ever since my 2010 Magic cruise when Becky announced a strong desire to sail on Disney. She tried (unsuccessfully) for about a year and a half to enlist a group of our girlfriends to make this a group cruise for us. I was in from the get-go and told them just to let me know when. This past April she finally declared she was booking the cruise regardless of who was in or not, and if anyone else decided they wanted to join us, by all means they could make their plans as well. We originally planned on sailing the last weekend in December, but since Becky was booking with DVC points (she has several she needs to use or lose this year) and that sailing was no longer available with points, we decided on the October 4th date. We had also planned on booking a verandah stateroom; I'm not sure if those were not available for us either as we ended up booked in a 9A GTY. No biggie - for a 3-night cruise this was not a deal breaker for either of us.

This will be Becky's first cruise ever, and my thirteenth (sixth on DCL - gold baby!). She has been a non-stop mom for the past 23 years to her seven kiddos, so her hubby is taking the reins for our weekend. Now, DVC has been a bit of a challenge with my Castaway Club, to say the least. They told Becky when she booked they could not add my CC number to the reservation. DCL says otherwise, but they cannot touch the reservation since DVC owns it. As of today, it's still not tied in so I will just take my CC card (yes, I have one from the old days when they issued those) in addition to a printout of my previous cruises so I at least get my returning cruiser gifts.

Obviously we did not get the luxury of checking in or booking activities at the 105 day mark (boo! as this would have been my first time doing so...I felt so cheated! LOL), but I still managed to book everything that was planned. Our stateroom was finally assigned today (I have been checking every day for the past few weeks!) and we were assigned a 9A cabin, 8008.

Things look like this -
October 3rd - Drive to MCO from Jacksonville; pick up Becky; drive to Cocoa Beach (hopefully getting there early enough to see the Carnival Pride sail out of Port Canaveral - it departs at 6:00 p.m.); eat dinner somewhere.
October 4th - Head over to the port for our 11:00 - 11:30 scheduled arrival time (yes, even at the 75-day mark I was able to secure the early arrival time...whew!); possibly try for an upgrade to a verandah stateroom; just goof off on board and enjoy a few FABs.
October 5th - Nassau, with no real plans. This is Becky's first time out of the country, so we plan on getting our passports stamped (not sure how many Nassau ones are in my current passport!), and then just wandering and shopping. Most likely we will spend a good deal of time just enjoying the ship as well.
October 6th - Castaway Cay. After Becky had mentioned how much she wanted to swim with dolphins, but would not do so without her kids (she and her husband plan on taking their family on a cruise possibly next year or the year after) I got in touch with her oldest daughter and we decided Castaway Ray's Stingray Adventure would be a good substitute for a surprise. Obviously I would not be able to keep this under wraps until the cruise which is what I wanted to do (considering it's right online under our activities), so I put together a little box of trinkets for Becky and sent it to her this week to coincide with the timing of our booking window. There were four items in the box representing each day, and a poem I wrote attached to each item (and I can’t believe I did not take pictures of the actual items, but I did take pics of the tags - of course I took the pics before I added the ribbon to the tags...ugh!):

(For item one, which included a DCL Bus pin - Becky had mentioned taking the DCL bus to the port but then we decided it would make sense for me to just pick her up at MCO)
Tag1.jpg

Driving to the beachside port
Deciding where we should cavort;
A Disney bus is not our ride
But a car (and friend) are supplied.

Our trip begins with ocean views
(And let’s not forget there will be booze!)
This pin takes place of a magical express
Forever now a bus you possess!

(For item two, I put a DCL Konk Kooler recipe card inside a Sailaway Drink Cup)
Tag2.jpg

As we begin our sail away
To islands not so faraway,
A drink or two in our hands
Looking forward to toes in sand.

Streamers, dancing, the party begins
I hope we spot some dolphin fins;
The adventure starts in the Florida sun
Off we go to have some fun!

(For item three, I wrapped up a Tortuga Rum Factory rum cake in DCL wrapping paper)
Tag3.jpg

First we land on Nassau tides
Passport stamps they will provide;
Then a stroll in shops galore
(It’s nice to finally be ashore!).

Jewelry, purses, hats of straw
Some a knock off or with a flaw;
But for this treasure I would have swum
Finally a cake made with rum!

(And finally for item 4, which was a Castaway Ray's Stingray Adventure pin)
Tag4.jpg

Our journey ends in paradise
Castaway Cay to be precise;
Beaches, bikes, there’s lots to choose
What a way to end our cruise.

But first we need to don a vest
To reach the day’s final quest;
Stingrays swim in a closed off pen
I booked us for a swim with them!

So, there you have it! We are all set! I was able to book us for a 2:00 p.m. stingray swim, although we may change that - all times were still available this morning when I booked.

that is so gorgeous! I bet you do scrapbooking too, dont you! You and Becky will have the most wonderful time, I am sure. My first cruise was with 4 other ladies turning 40 and we had the best time - I have never done a Disney Cruise, in fact my first ever visit to Disneyworld is happening in exactly 2 weeks - looking forward to reading your trip report after you get back.

iloverags2

Original Poster
that is so gorgeous! I bet you do scrapbooking too, dont you! You and Becky will have the most wonderful time, I am sure. My first cruise was with 4 other ladies turning 40 and we had the best time - I have never done a Disney Cruise, in fact my first ever visit to Disneyworld is happening in exactly 2 weeks - looking forward to reading your trip report after you get back.
Oh, how fun! Will you be doing a trip report? First visits are always a blast - I got to experience my mom's first visit to both WDW (2003) and DCL (2009), which were both such cool experiences!

I do just a little bit of scrapbooking - I love doing it, just too lazy to set aside the time.

Just realized I put Best Western Oceanfront in Cocoa Beach as one of our options. That is not correct. LaQuinta Inn Oceanfront is one of our options. Oops!

sweetpee_1993

Oh wow! Sounds like a lot of fun, Cindy! I love the thoughtful gifts and cards for your friend. That's so cool. And the pic of y'all from back in the day was a neat addition. Love that!

iloverags2

Original Poster
Oh wow! Sounds like a lot of fun, Cindy! I love the thoughtful gifts and cards for your friend. That's so cool. And the pic of y'all from back in the day was a neat addition. Love that!
We're hoping it will be fun! We could not wait to get out of that school (and school district), so pure joy in our faces there! I am soooo excited to show Becky the ropes of snorkeling with the stingray adventure. She has never done ANYTHING like this!

iloverags2

Original Poster
As promised, a few of our door magnets (I have soooooo many more to make as well).

First our names...this was my first attempt at creating names from alpha fills...not bad!
BeckyPirateName.jpg

CindyPirateName.jpg

I really just wanted to use this Mickey Pirate graphic!
TwoPirates.jpg

My favorite saying...
5OClockSomewhere.jpg

Our itinerary
Mickeyheaditinerary.jpg

Becky is a DVC member, and I am a Castaway Club girl!
MickeyheadDVCandCC.jpg

An excuse to use the cute Mickey pirate head
Mickeyheadgirlsgetaway.jpg

I will post others as I finish them!

flipadeeflop

This sounds so fun! Love the cards and poems! Can't wait to read the TR! My boyfriend and I are going on a 3 night on the Disney dream nov 4-8! I love the door magnets too! I want to decorate ours! Are you just printing those out then attaching a craft magnet to the back?

iloverags2

Original Poster
everything looks good and awesome.!!!!!!
Thanks! It helps pass the time...because I am getting antsy for this trip to get here!

This sounds so fun! Love the cards and poems! Can't wait to read the TR! My boyfriend and I are going on a 3 night on the Disney dream nov 4-8! I love the door magnets too! I want to decorate ours! Are you just printing those out then attaching a craft magnet to the back?
Thanks! I have been reading about your upcoming trip!

The magnets will be printed on Avery magnet paper. I have used that on our past four cruises, and never had a problem with it. Typically what I do is create the graphic using Paint (and/or PowerPoint) and then copy it over to a Word document (since Word won't try and read the document as a photo or something else which forces me to do a different paper feed). That way the 8 1/2 x 11 magnet paper just feeds as normal. It stays on the stateroom door with no problems. Some of my magnets, such as the Mickey ears that I put on the stateroom door number, have been used on several sailings and have not lost their magnetic touch!

Found a few more graphics to use! I hope everything fits on the door now!

flipadeeflop

Thanks! It helps pass the time...because I am getting antsy for this trip to get here!

Thanks! I have been reading about your upcoming trip!

The magnets will be printed on Avery magnet paper. I have used that on our past four cruises, and never had a problem with it. Typically what I do is create the graphic using Paint (and/or PowerPoint) and then copy it over to a Word document (since Word won't try and read the document as a photo or something else which forces me to do a different paper feed). That way the 8 1/2 x 11 magnet paper just feeds as normal. It stays on the stateroom door with no problems. Some of my magnets, such as the Mickey ears that I put on the stateroom door number, have been used on several sailings and have not lost their magnetic touch!

Found a few more graphics to use! I hope everything fits on the door now!

Oh I didn't realize they had paper like that! And I found it on Amazon, it's cheaper than I would have thought! I'd like to see your other graphics! I'm sure it'll all fit, I've seen some pictures of crazy decorated doors!!!

iloverags2

Original Poster
Interrupting this trip report with another TR. We are at Port Orleans Riverside (a friend is down here, so we wanted to have dinner with them last night). Picked up a few goodies at the gift shop for the kiddos FE bags! See, even here I am getting things done for our cruise!

iloverags2

Original Poster
Oh I didn't realize they had paper like that! And I found it on Amazon, it's cheaper than I would have thought! I'd like to see your other graphics! I'm sure it'll all fit, I've seen some pictures of crazy decorated doors!!!
I have been lazy and have not even touched magnets since the last posting about them! Will get working on them and post the pics soon. :)

How lovely! What a great time you guys are going to have!! :)
I'm sure we will! So looking forward to sharing my love of all things DCL with Becky.

My FE gifts are coming along rather well!. The items ordered have arrived, and I can start putting together the crafty portion. Yippee! In addition we were at WDW this past weekend, and I picked up a couple of things for the handful of children in our FE group (can you believe that out of nine staterooms, only three have kids?).

On top of moving along with FEs, my Castaway Club number has finally been added to the cruise! Yea!

iloverags2

Original Poster
Finished the ladies FE gift this past weekend (will post pics when we return since I never know who is lurking and where!). Men and kids? Well, let's just say I am l-a-z-y! I have the kiddos things, and I do know what I will be giving the men - just need to go out and get them.

Ok, as promised, here are more magnets...

This one I had planned on adding more text, but I just love it as is so leaving it to chance it does not grow legs and walk on our cruise since it is not personalized
MickeyWaterHead.jpg

I had to use the DCL logo somewhere
DCLLogo.jpg

This one was made for me about two years ago
CindyNameDark.jpg

I had intended on having an identical one for Becky, but could not get a response from the person who made mine - thought I would give it a go myself, but have no clue what the font name is so this is the best I could come up with
BeckyNameDark.jpg

And because I love Minnie and Pirates equally, these were a given
CindyMinniePirte.jpg

BeckyMinniePirate.jpg

flipadeeflop

Oooo like the new magnet additions! I can't wait to see the FE gifts. I've been working on mine, but, like you, I don't want to post pictures YET!

iloverags2

Original Poster
Oooo like the new magnet additions! I can't wait to see the FE gifts. I've been working on mine, but, like you, I don't want to post pictures YET!
Thanks! I'm dying to post pics of the crafty gifts...but holding out.

So stinkin' excited...received an email today that our FE was mailed!
bliss.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom