Girl's feet severed on ride at Six Flags in Kentucky

Jesùs_Carioca

So you are blindly blaming the park when you dont know exactly what happened. So if you go by your reasoning you shouldnt be going to disney either because of the people who died on their rides right? (since you obviously like to blame things on people before the whole story is known)

touche.

Usually... I always just wish i could put blame on the people who have the accidents inflicted upon themselves who are asking for it. Those who don't buckle down correctly, or stand up at the worst times, or stick their hands out trying to touch something as they pass.

But, when i read about things like this, with malfunctions of the rides themselves, I just really wish it wouldn't happen that way.

maelstrom

For EVERYONE picking on Maelstrom: Six Flags has a concise history of horrific ride accidents, Disney doesn't! Let the poster have their own preferences. You don't have to agree on everything they decide. If they decide they don't want to go to Six Flags because it can be considered unsafe based on historical evidence, then that's fine. No reason to freak out on them, live and let live.

Thank you.

Six Flags consistently has bad accidents at their parks that the park is at fault for. I am well aware that many horrific accidents have happened at Disney parks. The difference being that most of the accidents that happen at Disney parks are due to the guest not paying attention to the safety warnings and doing something stupid which ends up getting them hurt. A few have been Disney's fault, yes, but many more have been Six Flags' fault. I feel safe on the rides at Disney World and Disneyland. I don't feel safe at Six Flags. If you like Six Flags, great for you, have fun.

Lee

Adventurer
Ooooohhhh...this is a good one!

Ok...no Six Flags bashing from me...I go often to various SF parks just to ride coasters. Good times.

Anyhow, to clarify: Six Flags is legally responsible, just like Disney was on the Big Thunder crash. Simply a fact.
However. Upon inspection, if it becomes clear that the park was sold a defective part (cable, brake, whatever) they will then have recourse against the vendor that sold that part. That does not, however, make them free from responsibility to the young girl. SF will be paying out the nose to the girl and her family.
Heart attacks, strokes, etc. that happen at any park are not the park's responsibility. That lies with the guest who (as far as health goes) ride at their own risk.

cdunbar

When you read about something as horrific as this it makes you, at least it does me, think how lucky you really are! I mean not only do I have all four limbs, but I have also not had to watch anyone lose a limb and I for one don't know if I could get over that. The park will most likely be held accountable, I've been to the Six Flags park in GA and the one in VA and at both I did not care to ride any rides, they just seemed unsafe! But as someone who has been injured at a park, before I start recieving tons of PM's about what happended my arm was sliced open from wrist to elbow at Water Country USA in Williamsburg, this family will have a fight on it's hands. Parks like Six Flags are proably not going to be willing, like I'm sure Disney would, to cover this young girls needs and her parents I'm sure, unless they are a Rockefellar or something along those lines, are proably not going to be able to afford to provide everything she will need for proper care. Somehow I have a feeling that this story will just not go away Im sure this will tun into a major story in the next few months with the family suing Six Flags for lots and lots of money. Does anyone happen to know if these deaths and accidents in the past at Six Flags parks have been settled in or out of court, just curious?
I will keep this young, unfortuate girl, her loved ones, and her family in my thoughts.

coasterphil

I don't why you guys get the sense that rides at Six Flags are all unsafe. They have to follow regulations and when you look at the number of accidents vs. number of riders you'll see how silly such a thought is. If you were really worried about your safety you wouldn't be driving to an amusement park in the first place, you'd stay in your home out of fear of getting in a car wreck.

Dwarful

They closed down the Superman ride at the Six Flags St. Louis. Mo. inspectors have been there all day today. I feel so sorry for that young girl, 13 yrs old and such a horrific accident.

tigger248

I actually work at the park. I can't really say anything about the incident due to the ongoing investigation.

What I do want to say is a request for you all to keep all of us in your prayers. We're all praying for the girl and for her recovery, but we also could use some prayers drifted towards my family at the park too.

Now, I s'pose the flaming for being a loyal Six Flags employee on a Disney enthusiast site can begin...:lookaroun

tigger248

I live in Louisville and saw this in the paper this morning and on the news. This ride use to be called the Hellevator before Six Flags bought the park and changed all the names and has been in the park as long as I can remember. I have never been one to ride rides there because of the bad track record. My friend was on a ride when it broke down and almost died and has a huge scar because of it. I remember watching the travel channel years ago and there was a show of the 10 most unsafe rides. What was formerly T2 was number 2 or 3. That ride has been taken out. I know that accidents can happen but it seems that they happen a lot at ky kingdom. Years ago at a roast for a local news personality the host joked that the people in the box seats may want to move because the boxes were built by KY Kingdom. I've always felt safe at Disney but never at Kentucky Kingdom.

No offense, but where did you base your info from? T2, may be a little rough at times, but it certainly is a very safe coaster and has never to my knowledge had any accidents. It also is still very much at the park.

Could you maybe have been thinking of Starchaser? It had some trouble in the very early 90's and is no longer in the park. BTW, that ride was removed in 1995, before Six Flags even owned the park (Six Flags took over in 1998).

SFKK is very safe. I actually can't think of any accidents at the park in recent years prior to yesterdays incident.

dandaman

If you were really worried about your safety you wouldn't be driving to an amusement park in the first place, you'd stay in your home out of fear of getting in a car wreck.

THANK YOU.

FYI, I read somewhere that amusement park injuries happen less often than shark attacks, bee stings and ping-pong injuries combined. :lol: :lookaroun

(I'm wondering same as you about that last one. :lookaroun)

scottnj1966

I feel really bad for the park and the girl.

The new owners and management of the Six Flags parks was really trying to turn things around.

What other parks have this model drop tower?

You feel bad about the park?
If something like this happened anywhere the park has alot to explain.
I never want to have to worry if I am going to get hurt or die on an amusement ride.

I sure wish I knew how the girl was doing. This is a very sad time for them.

tigger248

WildcatDen

Terrible tragedy. Prayers to the girl and her family.

Kings Island here in Cincinnati has closed Drop Zone. It was made by the same company that designed the Six Flags ride. I love Drop Zone. At over 300 feet, it is the tallest gyro drop in the country. Not sure how eager I will be to ride it when it opens back up.:shrug:

ErickainPA

Thing what made the family mad about the lack of contact is that apparently they say that the park spokespeople has told the media they have been in contact with the family, when the family says it's not true.

Lauriebar

This morning our local news here in Nashville (the girl is at Vanderbilt Hospital) stated that her right foot has been successfully reattatched and she is in stable condition.

I assume since nothing was mentioned about the left foot that it was too damaged to repair.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
This morning our local news here in Nashville (the girl is at Vanderbilt Hospital) stated that her right foot has been successfully reattatched and she is in stable condition.

I assume since nothing was mentioned about the left foot that it was too damaged to repair.

Yeah, I saw something on CNN online about the other foot being too mangled to be any good, but they had successfully reattatched one foot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom