Girl question

stitchtastic

Apologies in advance for this very girlie question. We are travelling with 2 teenage daughters who cannot live without straightening their hair. From experience I know my UK ones do not work with an adaptor, so my question is when we get to Orlando where can I get a decent set quickly without eating up precious hours searching for them (my DH would not tolerate this:brick: ). And do you have any brands to recommend?
Thanks in advance for any info.

CAPTAIN HOOK

Walmart and most Chemists - Suggest you drive west along Highway 192 or check out International Drive (or even check out the airport before heading to Disney)

Upvote 0

journeyman

what area are you staying there are a few supermarkets down the 192 but i don't know international drive (never stayed there)
pm me if you guys need any info
kevin

Upvote 0

morgan22

That's Interesting ... I was just going to take mine and thought they'd work with an adaptor as my hairdryer and other electronics do - is it just their specific brand that don't work? Mine are GHD's ...

Upvote 0

stitchtastic

Original Poster
We are staying at POR and I really just wanted a quick nip offsite to be prepared for their "fussing"! DH won't stop on the way to the hotel from the airport - 9hr flight etc and can't understand teenage girls needs hairwise, but I thought once we've settled he'll be a bit more adaptable and after a couple of days we do venture out of the world - usuallly for restaurants.

Ihave GHD'S too DH says its the voltage(?) and they do not work with an adaptor - have tried.

Upvote 0

Pumbaas_Bug

Hi stitchtastic,
UK ones should work with an adaptor plug, but they do not get as hot as at home. As we travel to the USA quite a lot I picked up a pair of hair straighteners at Walmart when I was at WDW last year (think that they were less than $20)
Hope this helps!

Upvote 0

stitchtastic

Original Poster
Hi stitchtastic,
UK ones should work with an adaptor plug, but they do not get as hot as at home. As we travel to the USA quite a lot I picked up a pair of hair straighteners at Walmart when I was at WDW last year (think that they were less than $20)
Hope this helps!

Thanks - it's not just me then! - I will get a set,what brand did you get?

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Wal Mart will be your best bet. There is one just a few miles from your resort on 3520 Vineland Rd Kissimmee, FL 34746. It is open 24 hours a day and you are pretty much guaranteed to find several hair straighteners there. To get there take a left out of your resort onto Bonnet creek park way. Take Bonnet Creek for maybe 1/2 a mile to East Buena vista drive and make a left.(Bonnet creek dead ends into E Buena Vista) Follow this road past DTD and go straight through the traffic light at the end of DTD and you will now be on Hotel plaza blvd. Take a right at the next light and you will be on Vineland Rd (CR535). Wal Mart will be a couple of miles past I-4 between Central Florida Greenway (417) and West Osceola Parkway (522). Depending on traffic and the check out at Wal Mart the entire adventure should take around an hour.

Upvote 0

UKHelen

We have just returned home and while we were there one of our party (who couldn't live without straighteners) picked a pair up at Walmart for $17.00 - she said they were fine and did the job. Her own that she took out wouldn't get anywhere near hot enough to straighten hair - I also took my own hairdryer and as it went at some sort of super slow speed I assumed it was to do with lower voltage! As the temp was 85-95 everyday with a fair amount of humidity and as I have very fine hair, chin length hair, it dried naturally within 30 minutes of going outside!!!

Upvote 0

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Same problem from this side!

I can verify the problem in reverse--brought my US straightener to Ireland last year, and even with adapter it would not heat up.

My mobile phone would charge up using the adapter, but no luck with the hair appliance, so it was french plaits and chignons for me!

Conair is the brand I use, so I can recommend it. I have a good one and a cheap one, and it is just fine, too. It was the cheap one I brought overseas (just in case it fried) but I'm certain that I would have had the same problem with the good one.

Don't know when you're going, but there is almost no point to the hair straightener in the spring and summer months; as someone else tried to point out, it is a pure waste of time and energy (I know, I know, try explaining that to a 16-year old). The only time I bother is in Oct-Nov when we visit for the Food & Wine Festival. Even in May, by noontime or sooner, hair starts to fluff up and curlies make themselves evident! Also, in that kind of heat, I'd rather have my hair away from around my neck.

Have fun!

Upvote 0

FatBoy976

To save time, why don't you order a set from the USA now and have it delivered to your home. Then you can pack them and you won't have to go hunting for them when you get to Orlando. Just search the internet for them.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom