Gift Cards from Target

Matt_Black

We're discussing a family trip to Disney, and I mentioned the trick of using the Target Card to get 5% off of Disney Gift Cards (stretch that vacation dollar, as it were). It then occurred to me that they may have decided to close this particular loophole, so I decided to see if anyone knows if this still works.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Sorry not sure about Target but Sam's Club has a similar deal for members if you have one around you.

0079936610377_A

$142.98

0079936682700_A

$48.88

Upvote 0

Matt_Black

Original Poster
Good to know, thank you. I did know that Target was one of those rare retailers that offers sale prices on gift cards around the holiday season.

Upvote 0

TDGMedley

We did it once and when we went back to target they wanted to say we could not get 5% off. I have not tried it again sense they told u no. this was last year.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

I've found them still available. I grab a couple whenever I'm in, because I know I'm going to spend like a fool at Disney and even a couple of dollars in savings works in my favor.

Upvote 0

DrummerAlly

Just another yes here. I bought $1500 in gift cards for this trip to pay it off. (savings of $75). My suggestion would be to double check your credit limit on your target card and if its far less than you plan on buying, start early in purchasing gift cards since you'll buy them, go home, pay the card, and now wait 2 days for everything to get processed to buy more. I got screwed at the end because I hit the limit of paying my card off 2x a week and then wasn't able to purchase enough for the remainder of my trip and had to put it on my Disney Visa.

Upvote 0

Patcheslee

slightly off topic: I had seen forums that we could purchase Disney gift cards with a Target gift card. Tried to do this today and was denied in store, and 2nd attempt to go online and order also failed. The order went through and then was cancelled a minute later. I don't know if there had been any updates in awhile but that's pretty much it.

Upvote 0

NeedMoreMickey

Did this last weekend. Bought enough for tickets. Would have been nicer if I could have gotten the $100 gift card, took me forever to combine them all on one gift card to pay for the tickets.

Upvote 0

PrincessNelly_NJ

slightly off topic: I had seen forums that we could purchase Disney gift cards with a Target gift card. Tried to do this today and was denied in store, and 2nd attempt to go online and order also failed. The order went through and then was cancelled a minute later. I don't know if there had been any updates in awhile but that's pretty much it.
The Target Gift Card to Disney Card Deal is no longer allowed as of Mid August. It was reported that some stores were still allowing it but Target recently updated their policy to state Disney GC cannot be purchased with Target GC.

The red card discount still works.

Upvote 0

Rob562

The Target Gift Card to Disney Card Deal is no longer allowed as of Mid August. It was reported that some stores were still allowing it but Target recently updated their policy to state Disney GC cannot be purchased with Target GC.

The red card discount still works.

Well there goes my use of the "buy 2 of these, get a $5 gift card" offers to eventually trade in for a Disney gift card...

-Rob

Upvote 0

slipperalwaysfits

I have heard about this TARGET trick and I do love Target, but I go to our grocery store and put as much as I can afford on the Disney gift cards there, so I can get my fuel points. Weirdly enough, the grocery store's gift card let me buy a DGC. I guess every store has different policies.

Upvote 0

Rob562

I have heard about this TARGET trick and I do love Target, but I go to our grocery store and put as much as I can afford on the Disney gift cards there, so I can get my fuel points. Weirdly enough, the grocery store's gift card let me buy a DGC. I guess every store has different policies.

I guess it depends on how much you'd save on fuel. If I buy $100 at my grocery store, I get 10-cents off per gallon. Occasionally I think they offer bonus savings on gift cards.
My car has a 15-gallon tank, so 10-cents per gallon saves me $1.50 on a fill-up. Compare that to the $5 off I get at Target when I buy a $100 gift card using my RedCard.

In order for the grocery store/gas savings option to be a better deal for me, that $100 gift card purchase would have to give me 33-cents off per gallon.

Add in when you redeem the fuel savings, you need to have a virtually empty tank. Filling up with any gas in the tank lessens your bottom-line savings.

-Rob

Upvote 0

slipperalwaysfits

I guess it depends on how much you'd save on fuel.
In order for the grocery store/gas savings option to be a better deal for me, that $100 gift card purchase would have to give me 33-cents off per gallon. Add in when you redeem the fuel savings, you need to have a virtually empty tank. Filling up with any gas in the tank lessens your bottom-line savings.

-Rob

I always redeem on an empty tank and tend to get about 50-cents off each gallon. To each his own, but it works for us. Especially since I don't have or want a Target Red Card.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but it does pertain to Target's discount. Looks like you can order Disney gift cards online, and get a 5% Red card discount, but the gift cards also seem to be delivered online, as opposed to physical cards. Has anyone had experience buying like this and using the gift "cards" in WDW? And did you use them for larger purchases, not just for meals or souvenirs but towards the balance of your room? Or alternatively, for a Cruise vacation? Or other Disney options, Adventures by Disney, etc?

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

Gojira ゴジラ

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but it does pertain to Target's discount. Looks like you can order Disney gift cards online, and get a 5% Red card discount, but the gift cards also seem to be delivered online, as opposed to physical cards. Has anyone had experience buying like this and using the gift "cards" in WDW? And did you use them for larger purchases, not just for meals or souvenirs but towards the balance of your room? Or alternatively, for a Cruise vacation? Or other Disney options, Adventures by Disney, etc?

Thanks in advance.

We just paid our Disney Cruise vacation entirely with Disney Gift Cards. Purchased 7 of the $500 cards, and you can combine them into $1000 card so it's easier to manage, especially if you have a lot of $50s or $100s.

Also as far as Target, last year we purchased 10 $100 for our dining package at the retail store and use the Red card to get 5% discount. I'm sure you can still do that, but to be sure check with them before you pay.

Upvote 0

Hcalvert

I was told by my two different Targets that they are phasing out the physical Disney gift cards in the stores and you will only be able to buy them online soon (those stores already had them removed). Currently, their website says that the gift cards are only available online and not in the stores. As of now, you can still buy a physical card online ($50 or $100) or an ecard. You still get the 5% discount online.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom