Gift cards for trip?

minniemickeyfan

Hi, we are not planning on doing the dining plan this coming trip in December, but I like having things prepaid so I thought about buying gift cards to pay for most everything while we are there.
Anyone know if the gift cards are accepted most everywhere? I'm thinking maybe not the snack carts but don't usually get much there anyway.
Also, I looked at buying them at the disney store website and the disney world site, but notice the disney store doesn't look like they charge for any shipping. These are basically the same right?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but wanted to be sure and thought I'd ask all of you kind disney fans. :wave:

meeskamickey

Hi. We used gift cards all through our trip and didn't have any problems with them being accepted anywhere, including restaurants. They were even taken at the little carts that we bought souvenirs at. Also, I got our gift cards at a local Disney Store. Hope this info. helps.

Upvote 0

harveyt0206

I absolutely understand the desire to have as much paid for before your trip. Hubby and I have stocked up on gift cards for our upcoming trip. We bought them at Giant Eagle so that we could also get fuel points. I don't know what part of the country you live in or if you are familiar with Giant Eagles fuel points, but it's a great way to save a small amount of money for something you need.

Have a great trip! :wave:

Upvote 0

pixiesteno

^^^ just like the above poster, I got a gift card for christmas from my MIL and I just charged to the room and then went down to the lobby and paid the room charge with it. It was a breeze and I got to keep the gift card to put in the photo album.

Upvote 0

bow0303

We had numerous gift cards for our recent trip. We used the dining plan so didn't really think to check if gift cards could be used at the food carts. We did use them at the carts selling merchandise. We also used one to pay for strollers, we even used one to pay the tip at a TS restaurant.

Upvote 0

marcriss

I like to get the ones from Disneyshopping. Last years I got 6 different ones and themed them for use (Remy for food, Pirates for my son, etc.).

Plus, now Disneyshopping takes paypal, so I cleaned out some stuff on ebay and used that money to buy gift cards. I'm planning on doing the same thing this week!

We used the cards everywhere.

Upvote 0

lbrad

We used Disney gift cards in July ... never had any issues.
I bought them online from The Disney Store (no S&H) before we left home ... they are great.

Upvote 0

Mikester71

We bought the ones at Sams Club that come in $100 denominations, but only cost you $98 for some reason. :shrug: Plus, you get a $10 Disney Store card with each one. So we bought close to $1000 worth before we headed down, used the $100 worth of Disney Store cards to buy some cool towels and that for our trip at a nearby Disney Store, and even ended up buying $500-$600 more at a Sams Club just off property once we discovered that they were accepted pretty much everywhere on Disney property (even the food carts). Ended up giving these to the kids to use instead of actual money, which was really nice! They could check them to see what their balance was each time, so we didn't have to mess around with them losing their money or trying to say they had more than they actually had. :ROFLOL:

Highly recommend them and heck, next trip, might buy the cards at Sams to pay off the whole trip too!!! Yes, you can actually do this. Plus, imagine all the Disney Store money I will have to spend!! :wave:

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

Does anybody know if sams stills offers the gift cards? I would love to get them at the discount. TIA!

Our Sam's has plenty of them. I bought $1800 worth at $98.88 or something like that for each $100. I also got the $10 bonus card for the Disney Store with each which are also valid on DisneyStore.com. And DisneyStore.com sells...Disney Parks merchandise!!! I bought $180 worth of tshirts and stuff to have for the trip before we've even left. And I met the minimum order amount to qualify for free shipping. Total win-win for us! :sohappy: We plan to put the cards on our room accounts and just charge to the rooms for food, etc. during our trip. :D I did reserve some of our food/spending budget for cash so we are sure not to get caught without a form of payment. Awesome option. Love the Disney gift cards at Sam's.

Upvote 0

mp2bill

This may be a stupid question, but why buy a bunch of gift cards and not just designate one credit card to use for your non-cash purchases?

If you buy $2000 in gift cards and only use $1500, then you're stuck having to use $500 on stuff you don't want/need...or is the $500 just a bonus?

Upvote 0

jimmy5575

Target sells them now too in their CD department in $50.00 cards. If you have a Target credit card you can also get 5% off the purchase of each card. It's a slightly better deal than at Sams.

Upvote 0

Mikester71

Target sells them now too in their CD department in $50.00 cards. If you have a Target credit card you can also get 5% off the purchase of each card. It's a slightly better deal than at Sams.

Do you still get the $10 Disney Store card with them though? If so, pretty sweet!

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

Do you still get the $10 Disney Store card with them though? If so, pretty sweet!

That's what I was thinking! If the $10 Disney Store cards come with them then what a win!

I will say the one thing that annoyed me was the fact that you can't use more than 2 forms of payment on DisneyStore.com online. I had to call to place my order because I had 18 of the $10 gift cards plus needed to pay a little bit with my credit card. Unfortunately I got a clueless person helping me and all our stuff got sent to an address we lived at 6 years ago in Georgia. NEVER had this problem when I did my order online myself. Been a total nightmare over the past 3 weeks trying to get our stuff before we leave...in 3 days! Grrrrr!!!!

Upvote 0
minniemickeyfan,

To answer one of your original questions, yes, they even accept the gift cards at the snack carts. The only places we went that didn't accept the cards were some of the restaurants in Downtown Disney, and that was only because those restaurants were not owned/operated by Disney.

One of the many things I loved about using Disney gift cards in the park was that whenever you used it, your receipt always showed you your balance so there was never any guess work as to how much you had left.

It was also a good way to provide an allowance to the kids for souviners, etc. We gave each of the kids a giftcard (with a different picture on it, so we could keep them straight) and I kept everything in my wallet.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom