Gideon's Bakehouse coming to Disney Springs

_caleb

It's essentially impossible for every single job in the country to be more than a minimum wage job.
I'm not sure this is the case.
I'm certainly not opposed to people being paid more, but I acknowledge the reality of it. Working at Gideon's is an entry level job that requires no special skills of any kind; it's an easily replaceable position.
This statement is true. But I don't think it should be this way, or that it's necessary.

Special skills may not be required to work at the bakeshop, but it seems to me that some people might have the personality, temperament, and aptitude that might make them more valuable to the operation than others. If I was running Gideon's, I wouldn't want the instability, costs, or risks of a revolving door of personnel. I'd want to make it possible for the best of the lot to stick around so my business could reliably provide excellent service over a long time. You don't get that by treating employees like cheap, easily-replaceable cogs in a machine.
People are never going to make any significant amount of money working a job like that.
Right. But that's a choice Gideon's is making, isn't it? Aren't we all under the impression that their operating costs are lower than the revenue being generated?
Anyways, it seems like Gideon's workers do make more than minimum wage.
Yes. I just think it's sad.

jaklgreen

Decent and legal are not the same thing. One can think it’s not decent without concocting legal intents that are clearly not present in the criteria laid out by the Fair Labor Standards Act.
I never said that it wasn't legal. I said that it is a crappy thing to do. Way too many people are OK with this and that is sad.

MissingDisney

Raise wages for all-10, 20% across the board. More? Of course-raises all around. Then everyone is getting paid better.

What inevitably follows-prices of goods and services go up in relation so....everyone is back where they started.

Lilofan

Raise wages for all-10, 20% across the board. More? Of course-raises all around. Then everyone is getting paid better.

What inevitably follows-prices of goods and services go up in relation so....everyone is back where they started.
Entry level pay is a slippery slope. A cast member with no exp can start in parks and resorts at least at $18 per hour. The same rate is paid to a TSA employee at MCO to ensure you and I have a safe flight and a slip up can mean life or death. One role has a bit more responsibility and stress than the other role.

_caleb

Price increases are only inevitable if the business is not making a profit or if the owner/management are greedy.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Steve is a rags to riches story. He opened up his first bake shop with one employee and $800 in the bank in 2016.

I enjoyed Lou Mongelo's interview of him last year. His story is great. I've mostly given him the benefit of the doubt throughout but not everything he says makes sense. I guess we'll eventually see what "secret things" he's talking about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom