Giant Panda's at Animal Kingdom?

dvitali

I first need to them add more animals in Africa like camels, tropical birds, leopards. Asia can have the pandas,(move the elephants to Asia ), maybe build a second safari.

yoda_5729

Asian and African Elephants are actually different species. You can't simply move those in Kilimanjaro Safaris to Asia, as they'd be the wrong elephants. Actually there is debate now in the scientific field about whether there are two separate species of African Elephants, the African Forest Elephant, and the African Bush Elephant.

That being said I'd love to see more animals in Animal Kingdom, everything from Pandas, Koalas, Aye-Ayes, Water Buffalo, etc. Also there is not a single zoo in the United States that has either a platypus or a Tasmanian Devil. Those would be cool. The Tasmanian devil is actually very much in danger of extinction due to a facial cancer it gets, the tumor becoming so large on it's face it can't survive. Disney's Conservation Funds could be used to help this iconic and unfortunate animal continue to live in the world.

Also, an odd little factoid about Animal Kingdom, there are zero bears in Animal Kingdom. None, unless you count Baloo or the Brother Bear characters. Not a single exhibit for Grizzly, Polar, Sun, Sloth, Andean, North American Black, Kodiak, or Panda.

RSoxNo1

I first need to them add more animals in Africa like camels, tropical birds, leopards. Asia can have the pandas,(move the elephants to Asia ), maybe build a second safari.

Have you learned nothing from Jungle Cruise? African and Asian Elephants are two different species - however, there were rumors a while ago about Asian Elephants also coming to the Animal Kingdom as well.

Asian and African Elephants are actually different species. You can't simply move those in Kilimanjaro Safaris to Asia, as they'd be the wrong elephants. Actually there is debate now in the scientific field about whether there are two separate species of African Elephants, the African Forest Elephant, and the African Bush Elephant.

That being said I'd love to see more animals in Animal Kingdom, everything from Pandas, Koalas, Aye-Ayes, Water Buffalo, etc. Also there is not a single zoo in the United States that has either a platypus or a Tasmanian Devil. Those would be cool. The Tasmanian devil is actually very much in danger of extinction due to a facial cancer it gets, the tumor becoming so large on it's face it can't survive. Disney's Conservation Funds could be used to help this iconic and unfortunate animal continue to live in the world.

Also, an odd little factoid about Animal Kingdom, there are zero bears in Animal Kingdom. None, unless you count Baloo or the Brother Bear characters. Not a single exhibit for Grizzly, Polar, Sun, Sloth, Andean, North American Black, Kodiak, or Panda.

There are enough animals in Asia to create an attraction in Asia in the area North of Kali River Rapids that would house animals in the same way as Kilimanjaro Safaris. However, I don't think Asian animals really lend themselves to a truck tour like the African animals. I would think a walk through or sky tram would be a better approach.

As for pandas, I would actually expect that they would anchor a second Asia walk through instead of lengthening Maharajah Jungle Trek. The Screamscape rumor differs slightly from the rumor that Jim Hill mentioned on our show. Screamscape has the Pandas going at Conservation Station which seems like a horrible idea.

The Empress Lilly

In my armchair imagineering dreams, Disney builds on the empty plot north of Asia an entire extention devoted to non-Indian-subcontinental Asia. Asia is huge, not all of it looks like South Asian rainforest.

I'd love to see a 'North of the Himalayas' extention. Panda's and red panda's. Or Tibet and Central Asian, with snow leopards, markhors, yaks - altough the Florida climate might make that unfeasable.

I don't need dark rides, I can see those in the other three parks. I want animals, in a spectacular setting. Another Himalayan mountain, with mountian trails and waterfalls and suspension bridges and secret pathways to explore. Animal exhibits everywhere. Something with which no local zoo could possibly compete. A kind of Night Kingdom, but not as boutique park.

The Empress Lilly

There are enough animals in Asia to create an attraction in Asia in the area North of Kali River Rapids that would house animals in the same way as Kilimanjaro Safaris. However, I don't think Asian animals really lend themselves to a truck tour like the African animals. I would think a walk through or sky tram would be a better approach.
Sky trams...yes please!

wdwfan4ver

I don't know about Asian Elephants going to AK being a good idea at this time. I know Asian Elephants are popular animals especially as babies, but there could be a potential problem that could hurt the reputation of AK in terms of how the animals are being taken care because of the type of medical problem Asian Elephants are prone to get.

The problem is Disney could face a pr problem if young Asian Elephants die at AK of Elephant endotheliotropic herpes virus or Disney want to breed Asian Elephants. Zoos in the United States and Canada had a pr problem after young Asian Elephants die of Elephant endotheliotropic herpes virus. The problem is Animal Rights groups come out the woodwork and start protesting once a young Asian Elephant dies of Elephant endotheliotropic herpes virus. That group of people only thinks captive Asian elephants get that disease without knowing that wild Asian Elephant get that disease also. In terms of Disney Animal Kingdom, that means protestors could encourage people not going to that park because the protestors not getting their facts straight.

I brought that up because if Disney has a female Asian elephant and becomes pregnant, there is a good chance that baby Asian elephant gets Elephant endotheliotropic herpes virus anywhere from 1 to 8 years old. That disease is a big time problem for Asian Elephants due to the fact it very common for Asian Elephants to get. 24 percent of Asian Elephants born in captivity died of Elephant endotheliotropic herpes virus that were born from 1978 to 2007 in captivity in North America. That percentage would have been around 32 percent if medication didn't work.

Elephant endotheliotropic herpes virus is a deadly disease that kills an Asian elephant within 24 hours after getting it. Medication doesn't always work for helping an Asian Elephant survive after getting Elephant endotheliotropic herpes virus. While there has been research done with this disease, there is no vaccine for it yet.

I got the information about Elephant endotheliotropic herpes virus from http://www.elephant.se/elephant_herpes_virus.php?open=Elephant diseases .

c-one

Pandas are such a let down when you see them in person. I saw one of them at the National Zoo and he literally did not move the entire time I stood there watching him. Half-thought he died right then and there, but in fairness, it was pretty hot that day. :lookaround:

Not sure why we have such a societal obsession with an animal that does so little. They won't even procreate without watching panda !

djkidkaz

The fascination with Pandas is that they are just beautiful animals. I'd compare it to Tigers. They don't do much besides lay around all day but they are just very attractive animals to look at. I mean, all animals are pretty boring. Your just always hoping that your around at that moment when the gorilla finally jumps the fence! :eek::ROFLOL:

maxairmike

The fascination with Pandas is that they are just beautiful animals. I'd compare it to Tigers. They don't do much besides lay around all day but they are just very attractive animals to look at. I mean, all animals are pretty boring. Your just always hoping that your around at that moment when the gorilla finally jumps the fence! :eek::ROFLOL:

My one fault with DAK is the lack of interaction with the gorillas. I grew up going to the Columbus Zoo multiple times a year, and practically "grew up" with most of the gorillas there, "playing" with them through the glass. Its so neat, you put your hand on the glass and sometimes they match the position, and when you move your hand, they'll move theirs. If you knock on the glass, they'll knock back. Really simple interaction, but very cool and powerful, in a way. The last time I was there one of the silverbacks didn't seem to appreciate my mother, who had spent most of her time over at the gorilla exhibit that day. He would run by every now and then trying to keep the younger ones away from the glass when they would get friendly and interact. When we moved to the other end of their outdoor area he kept an eye on her, but whenever she would look towards him, he looked away really fast. Refused to make eye contact or look at her when she looked at him. It was really interesting, and you could tell he didn't like that she had gained a bit of trust of some of his pack temporarily. He was acting kind of shy and scared, but you could also tell he was a bit unhappy.

They're just very cool animals to interact with, even on a basic level, and I miss having that at DAK. I was spoiled with the Columbus Zoo and Jack Hanah's influence all those years.

Magenta Panther

For me, the basic problem with AK is that I don't understand why I'm supposed to get so excited about it. All it is to me is a lavishly appointed zoo. Period. And the thing is, there are MANY beautiful zoos in America. If what I wanted to see on vacation were captive wild animals, I could go to the Bronx or St. Louis or San Diego zoos, among others. But when I go to WDW, I want to see things I can't see anywhere else. So AK leaves me cold. It's kind of pretty and atmospheric, but that's it. When I visit the World in December, I have no plans to visit AK. And I probably will never visit it again, unless of course the yeti gets fixed (like that'll ever happen).

sam_disney

For me, the basic problem with AK is that I don't understand why I'm supposed to get so excited about it. All it is to me is a lavishly appointed zoo. Period. And the thing is, there are MANY beautiful zoos in America. If what I wanted to see on vacation were captive wild animals, I could go to the Bronx or St. Louis or San Diego zoos, among others. But when I go to WDW, I want to see things I can't see anywhere else. So AK leaves me cold. It's kind of pretty and atmospheric, but that's it. When I visit the World in December, I have no plans to visit AK. And I probably will never visit it again, unless of course the yeti gets fixed (like that'll ever happen).

I understand what you mean, yes it is technically a zoo. But its one of the best zoo's I have ever seen!! I love animal kingdom for the safari but I love the whole set up. The lion king show.. nemo! its still magical!!

wdw71fan

you're right, because you can see Festival of the Lion King, Dinosaur, Everest, Finding Nemo, Tough to be a bug, and more ... Everywhere else..

nytimez

My understanding from one of the longtime animal keepers there is that there were panda conversations years ago, but Disney backed off. It's not just the million bucks a year you have to pay to China just to RENT the panda or even the fact that any cubs have to be sent back to China -- although that's certainly a big part of it. It's that on top of all that, panda care is incredibly expensive. Beyond building the habitat, you have to hire specialized staff to care for the panda. Even getting the bamboo they want to eat is a great big PITA and gets expensive -- you can't just grow it and feed it to them. They get very fussy and switch from one variety to another. My friend told me that the zoos with pandas have a full-time TEAM of people who go around looking for and purchasing different types of bamboo.

All told, the expense of caring for the pandas can easily double the money you have to pay to China -- and Disney just didn't think it would come close to recouping that money in publicity, attendance and merch sales.

So, if all that still holds true today, you can bet you'll never see pandas at AK.

djkidkaz

I had to look up what a red panda is:

491px-Ailurus_fulgens_RoterPanda_LesserPanda.jpg

Pretty cute!

Magenta Panther

you're right, because you can see Festival of the Lion King, Dinosaur, Everest, Finding Nemo, Tough to be a bug, and more ... Everywhere else..

LOL! I see your point. Unfortunately, those are attractions that have failed to impress me enough to warrant another visit to the park. I used to read how great the Festival was, and was told that Nemo was "Broadway-worthy". Um, NOT. I was very disappointed in both of them. The Tree of Life is admittedly pretty neat, and so is the Bug show underneath its roots. But those to me are the only things special about that park. Dinosaur is okay for little kids who are still into dinosaurs. I would hardly call it thrilling.

So all in all, the only impression I really have about AK is that it's a lavishly-appointed zoo, with nothing much else to remember it by. Maybe that's why it's purported to be WDW's least popular park...

yoda_5729

Even if one was to say Animal Kingdom is just a lavishly designed zoo, I hardly see that as being a negative. I know dozens of people who assume that since they've been to one zoo, they magically have seen all there is to animal life. If visiting Walt Disney World reminds an adult of the feelings that they felt when they first saw a lion or elephant then I'm for it, as long as the animals are being taken care of to the best of our abilities.

Many when they see a frog at a zoo, just call it a frog, and walk away, same with lizards etc. There are a ton of variations and incredible things about each individual animal. I was at Asia once and we walked up to the Blackbuck/Benteng/Peacock/Eld's Deer inclosure. All those animal were however hiding and all that could be seen, was some nice peaceful geese sitting in the shade very close to the bridge and a crane standing on the hillside. The kids, and their parents looked down and said it was just some stupid geese, like they were the common Canadian Geese they have back home. Those geese in question were bar-headed geese. They are famous and were a segment on Planet Earth as they migrate over Mount Everest every year. The crane on the hillside is the tallest flying bird in the world, the Sarus Crane.

The reason I bring this up is, there is so much cool stuff about animals, and what they can do, that as long as you learn about them, there is power in that. Zoos of course can be bad places if they don't treat the animals well, but zoos can also be great places as dozens of animals are protected by them, and might even be extinct if not for them. I wish all animals could be in the wild peacefully and everyone could see them and everything would work out. Sadly that isn't the case, as many of the animals in zoos can't go back in the wild, but they are still alive, and can contribute too others learning about them, and deserve love.

I don't want that to sound too pro zoo, as clearly zoos have had their problems, and clearly are very much controversial. They have the capacity for both good things, and bad things. I just wish more people when walking by the Komodo Dragon would call it that, and not say look at the crocodile. Then go over to Dinoland USA and see the actual crocodile, and wonder what gives, I already saw that.

Dads 2 Boys

If you've never seen a panda in person, when you do see one live it is an amazing experience. Being that they are so rare in the US, the majority of the population haven't seen them. They are an extremely cute and playful animal (unless you see older ones who don't play much). I had the good fortune of seeing Tai Shan @ the National Zoo i(n DC in 2009 before being sent to China) and it was amazing. My son grew up loving pandas and seeing them for the first time @ 8yrs old brought tears of joy to his eyes (then to mine seeing him cry).

The exhibit would cost a large amount of money but what it will do for attendance will offset it quickly. Disney would have to become part of the breeding process program with China and that program has done extraordinary things for the Giant Panda population bringing them back from the brink of extinction. Say what you want about the Chinese gov't but they took control of the panda situation; designed and implemented a program for their survival and it's been nothing short of fantastic. Unfortuantely the success in the US hasn't been as good. Of the 4 zoos in the US that have Pandas, there have not been many births. Atlanta has been the most successful in recent years but Memphis has not, DC has only had one cub and San Diego has had intermittent success. Atlanta's recent "litter" was a huge accomplishment and they should be very proud. Disney's conservation and breeding reputation efforts would do tremendous things to help with that process.

The Chinese gov't does "rent" the pandas but they do it for breeding purposes and then those cubs (most likely) get brought back to China to be the "studs" to continue to grow the panda population (i.e. Tai Shan).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom