Getting to and from the ESPN WWoS

Phonedave

Original Poster
I will be arriving on Friday before the Wine and Dine 1/2 and will be taking the DME to my resort (AKL - Kidani Village)

From what I understand, the only way to get to ESPN WWoS (to pick up my race packet) is via bus from Pop Century or from any of the All Star Resorts.

How often does that bus run ? Is it worth it to take a cab instead ? What about back from packet pick up?

Or will busses be running from the host resorts as well (or ONLY the host resort - no Pop) ? (All Star, Port Orleans (both), Beach Club, Poly, Boardwalk)

What about on race day. I assume I can make my way to a host resort and then hop on a bus to get there, but what about after the race? I assume there will only be transport to host resorts after the post race party, or will I be able to get transport back to AKL?

Thanks

-dave

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
This is a pickle. I luckily am staying at PORS. My understanding is that they will have buses from host resorts to WWoS for packet pickup and race day to and from.

I am worried more about packet pickup than I am race day. I wonder as well how often the bus will loop. I am technically on vacation so I would like to minimize my travel time to a park that day, back to the resort and then to WWoS.

I guess Ill be planning on taking an spare $100 in cash for an emergency taxi. Dave, I would think you are in a bit more of a jam. You might have to go to a local park near PORS (Epcot), then hope on a bus there to the host resort and the on to WWoS. Too bad we arent staying in the same location or we could split a cab.

Phonedave

Original Poster
Animal Kingdom was not my first (or second choice) to stay at, but it was where DVC had the type of room I needed available. It is way in the middle of nowhere.

My flight gets in somtime around noon I think. My plan was to take the first park bus I saw, and then at that park take the first host resort bus I saw (which would be tricky if the stops are not near each other)

It may come down to cab ride TO WWoS and then a bus from WWoW to a resort and then to whever I will be meeting the rest of my group.

-dave

joel_maxwell

Animal Kingdom was not my first (or second choice) to stay at, but it was where DVC had the type of room I needed available. It is way in the middle of nowhere.

My flight gets in somtime around noon I think. My plan was to take the first park bus I saw, and then at that park take the first host resort bus I saw (which would be tricky if the stops are not near each other)

It may come down to cab ride TO WWoS and then a bus from WWoW to a resort and then to whever I will be meeting the rest of my group.

-dave
I think mine and yours is going to be some game time decisions. I might also get on the phone with PORS about 1 week out and inquire a little about the transportation. I would call now, but I wonder if the host resorts would even have that on their scope right now.

Blueliner

My wife and I are flying out of Birmingham Saturday morning, then taking DME to Port Orleans, French Quarter. Right now, we're going on the assumption that the information on the website is correct and that there will be transportation to and from all race-related events.

I am hoping that we will not run into any logistical problems, as our plane lands at 11:10 a.m. and the packet pick-up closes at 4:00. I have kind of resigned myself to the fact that there won't be much down-time before the race.

Joel, if you are coming back to the resort in order to get over to WWOS for packet pickup, and if it looks like the buses are going to be slow or infrequent, maybe we should look into splitting a cab to save a little time.

Blueliner

By the way, the website for the race says this:

Health and Fitness Expo

Wine & Dine Half Marathon Transportation will depart from host resorts to the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex approximately every 30 minutes. Transportation to the Expo will begin one half hour prior to opening and will continue until one half hour after closing.

It also says this:

"Half Marathon Transportation will begin departure from host resorts at 6:00 p.m. Participants must board buses no later than 8:00 p.m. in order to make it to their corrals by 9:30 p.m."

and this:

"After the race start, there will be shuttle service from the Sports Complex to Epcot® for spectators from 10:00 p.m. until 10:30 p.m. Shuttle service for host resorts will recommence at 10:00 p.m. and continue until 3:30 a.m. for the Finish Line Party at Epcot®."

joel_maxwell

My wife and I are flying out of Birmingham Saturday morning, then taking DME to Port Orleans, French Quarter. Right now, we're going on the assumption that the information on the website is correct and that there will be transportation to and from all race-related events.

I am hoping that we will not run into any logistical problems, as our plane lands at 11:10 a.m. and the packet pick-up closes at 4:00. I have kind of resigned myself to the fact that there won't be much down-time before the race.

Joel, if you are coming back to the resort in order to get over to WWOS for packet pickup, and if it looks like the buses are going to be slow or infrequent, maybe we should look into splitting a cab to save a little time.
Might not be a bad thing to swap mobile numbers so I can text you that day if yall are still in transit.

Are yall flying back Sunday or staying for a little while for vacation?

By the way, the website for the race says this:

Health and Fitness Expo

Wine & Dine Half Marathon Transportation will depart from host resorts to the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex approximately every 30 minutes. Transportation to the Expo will begin one half hour prior to opening and will continue until one half hour after closing.

It also says this:

"Half Marathon Transportation will begin departure from host resorts at 6:00 p.m. Participants must board buses no later than 8:00 p.m. in order to make it to their corrals by 9:30 p.m."

and this:

"After the race start, there will be shuttle service from the Sports Complex to Epcot® for spectators from 10:00 p.m. until 10:30 p.m. Shuttle service for host resorts will recommence at 10:00 p.m. and continue until 3:30 a.m. for the Finish Line Party at Epcot®."
WOW. Im glad I saw this. i was going to do a little research to add to my itinerary in the next week, but I think ill go ahead and copy/paste all this into it. Just as a reminder.

Blueliner

Might not be a bad thing to swap mobile numbers so I can text you that day if yall are still in transit.

Are yall flying back Sunday or staying for a little while for vacation?

I'll send you a PM with info.

We're going to stick around on Sunday and come back to Birmingham Monday late afternoon.

MCC1

We eliminate the ulcers by renting a car...I'd recommend going on priceline or hotwire, get a cheap car for the weekend and be done with it. We've found this such a timesaver marathon weekend getting too & from the expo & packat pickup, and expect the same for W&D as we are also not at a host hotel (at Shades of Green with friends, so we do have the option of walking down to Poly to take race transport...but having options is key to us)

DisneyRunner

In August, when staying at ASMu there was a combined queue for WWoS and something else. Similar to the Typhoon Lagoon/DTD queue. I saw this on one of the last days there. I don't know if each resort has this now. It might be something to look into? :shrug:

joel_maxwell

I'll send you a PM with info.

We're going to stick around on Sunday and come back to Birmingham Monday late afternoon.
PM sent.

I wonder if anyone else will be on the same Southwest 12noon flight out of MCO to/through Bham. That would be funny to see someone else with their bling on.

I will also start a thread about the meet n greet and a good location for it around 8:30 so we can all take a group photo for the site and socialize for just a bit before we get our game faces on.

Blueliner

We eliminate the ulcers by renting a car...I'd recommend going on priceline or hotwire, get a cheap car for the weekend and be done with it. We've found this such a timesaver marathon weekend getting too & from the expo & packat pickup, and expect the same for W&D as we are also not at a host hotel (at Shades of Green with friends, so we do have the option of walking down to Poly to take race transport...but having options is key to us)

That's a good point. You certainly have more freedom, with not much additional expense.

3fordisney

Pop Century isn't one of the hotels that will take you to WWoS or the run. Pop is our favorite hotel and we are having to stay at AS Movies instead. The other values will take you and there is a complete list of hotels on the website. :)

dreamfinder

I will be arriving on Friday before the Wine and Dine 1/2 and will be taking the DME to my resort (AKL - Kidani Village)

From what I understand, the only way to get to ESPN WWoS (to pick up my race packet) is via bus from Pop Century or from any of the All Star Resorts.

How often does that bus run ? Is it worth it to take a cab instead ? What about back from packet pick up?

Or will busses be running from the host resorts as well (or ONLY the host resort - no Pop) ? (All Star, Port Orleans (both), Beach Club, Poly, Boardwalk)

What about on race day. I assume I can make my way to a host resort and then hop on a bus to get there, but what about after the race? I assume there will only be transport to host resorts after the post race party, or will I be able to get transport back to AKL?

Thanks

-dave

On a normal day, my understanding is that the only way to get to WWoS is to take a bus from DHS.

I would imagine this would still be running, in addition to the transportation from the host resorts. Depending on if you will have a park ticket for the day on Friday kinda determines where you should head after arrival. If you have a ticket, Epcot, DHS, or MK would all work. DHS you SHOULD be able to hop on the WWoS bus itself. Epcot and DHS you should be able to walk/take the boat to BW or BC. MK you can take the monorail to the Poly and get the bus from there.

Post race you would need to either call a cab, or figure out how to hitch a ride with someone who has a car. You MAY be able to get to DTD from BC/BW if you go back out the International Gateway, but you may be calling it close to get a bus from DTD to AKL. BW may possibly still have cabs onsite due to the clubs/restaurants there.

joel_maxwell

On a normal day, my understanding is that the only way to get to WWoS is to take a bus from DHS.

I would imagine this would still be running, in addition to the transportation from the host resorts. Depending on if you will have a park ticket for the day on Friday kinda determines where you should head after arrival. If you have a ticket, Epcot, DHS, or MK would all work. DHS you SHOULD be able to hop on the WWoS bus itself. Epcot and DHS you should be able to walk/take the boat to BW or BC. MK you can take the monorail to the Poly and get the bus from there.

Post race you would need to either call a cab, or figure out how to hitch a ride with someone who has a car. You MAY be able to get to DTD from BC/BW if you go back out the International Gateway, but you may be calling it close to get a bus from DTD to AKL. BW may possibly still have cabs onsite due to the clubs/restaurants there.
Ahhh, I think Dave will be up for a short run at 3am from Epcot to AKL. :D

MKCP 1985

Does anyone know how people who stay offsite and drive to the race will get either from the finish line back to their car . . . or from their car (if they park at Epcot/Boardwalk resorts) to the check in area at Wide World of Sports/starting line?

. . . or will that be a FAQ at packet pickup? :p

joel_maxwell

Does anyone know how people who stay offsite and drive to the race will get either from the finish line back to their car . . . or from their car (if they park at Epcot/Boardwalk resorts) to the check in area at Wide World of Sports/starting line?

. . . or will that be a FAQ at packet pickup? :p
Im not sure, but Ill keep in mind that Doug has a rental car. Why do I feel like Im 15 again and getting all excited about a friend who has wheels?

:D

MKCP 1985

I don't know how much help I can be, Joel. This is what I will be driving:

3A.jpg

:lol:

Actually, from the race website, this little nugget was hiding in the fine print:

Disney Endurance said:
For runners driving to Epcot® on race evening, the race shuttle from Epcot® to the Sports Complex will begin at 6:00 p.m. and end at 8:15 p.m. The parking fee at Epcot® will be waived for runners and spectators arriving after 6:00 p.m. on race evening. Please allow enough time to ensure you are parked at Epcot® no later than 7:30 p.m.
Cool!

joel_maxwell

I don't know how much help I can be, Joel. This is what I will be driving:

3A.jpg

Actually, from the race website, this little nugget was hiding in the fine print:

Cool!

I dont know if I would want to be seen in that thing if it happened to be a 2 seater.

Good news on the transportation. Drama averted.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom