Getting nervouse about our end of May Trip!

Kristamouse

Getting nervous about our end of May Trip!

We are booked for a quick 3 day trip at the end of May after Memorial Day starting 5/28. My in-law's are joining us and have been to WDW once before. They went in the early 80's over July 4th weekend and had by all accounts a horrible trip. Hot, rain, croweded and bad kids. I would really like to show them "our Disney" and have them enjoy thier time at WDW. After reading the threads recently I am getting worried about the crowd level's. If anyone has any input on this week in previous years or booking trends, please reply.
This will be our 6th trip and we love the place but prefer the down crowds in Sept and Feb early March. I want to prepare myself and my IL's about what to expect in terms of people. We do have our ADR's made and our park days planned out.
Any input is welcomed! :wave:

want2betink

It will be packed and hot. Not as hot as July, but still hot. The wait times for "big ticket" items will average 45 minutes and up. So, use fast pass and have a great time. Go early in the morning and ride those rides, then ride the other ones later. IMO, no trip at Disney is ever bad:)

Upvote 0

Prof Ecks

I may be wrong [note: I usually am - %^)] however, from what I have gleaned, the crowds on 5/28-5/31 are very high. I have been told and read that the crowds drop fairly dramatically after the 31st for the first week in June because most students are still in school. We picked that first week in June for our trip for that reason. You have two issues though, one is the crowd. And, if you enjoy Disney you can find a way to enjoy the crowds. We went one year between Christmas and New Years and though the crowds were ridiculous we still had a very memorable time. The other problem is going with people predisposed to not like Disney. That is a tough one. They might not like it even with low crowds, but you have to figure out a way to enjoy your vacation and not let someone else put the damper on your experience. I would be interested in hearing how people deal with family and friends who are on a vacation with them and are not into "being magical". Both success stories and failures.

Good luck K-mouse!

Upvote 0
We were at WDW Memorial Day weekend '07 and the crowds were huge. However, once the weekend was over there was a noticeable decrease in crowds the rest of the week. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
We'll be going the 23rd through the 29th which begins the Saturday before Memorial Day. I too have been worried about the crowds at the parks that Monday so I went ahead and planned a day at the pool with ressies at T-Rex in DTD that evening. I am really hoping the crowds diminish after Monday.

Upvote 0

dazzer68

im in the uk and have booked to go from 18 may through to 1 june 2009,
whats memorial day, when is it and is it going to be bad?
now im really nervous too, i thiought may was quiet!!:fork:

Upvote 0

strmchsr

im in the uk and have booked to go from 18 may through to 1 june 2009,
whats memorial day, when is it and is it going to be bad?
now im really nervous too, i thiought may was quiet!!:fork:
Memorial Day is the last weekend in May. It's the day the United States honors those who have given their lives in service to this country. It's also the unofficial "start of summer" for most in the USA. Lots of people take trips that weekend. May used to be quiet, but so did a lot of other times at WDW. Seems, despite what the suits are saying, that park attendance is up quite a bit this year across the board.

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

im in the uk and have booked to go from 18 may through to 1 june 2009, whats memorial day, when is it and is it going to be bad? now im really nervous too, i thiought may was quiet!!
Memorial Day is Monday, May 25 2009. That weekend will be crowded as it is a 3-day holiday weekend.

You should be fine from 18 May up until 21 or 22 May, and then the weekend will be crowded, and it will slow down again on the 26th or 27th.

Upvote 0

Kristamouse

Original Poster
Thank you all for your imput. We will be checking in on the Wed AFTER Memorial Day. That was the one blue cloud in booking this trip at the end of May. I was hoping for lighter crowds because most school will be going until June b/c of snow and ice storms over the south east. Then I got worred about the crowds randomly picking up at WDW.
Prof Ecks, my I-Laws are actually very fun people but do hate WDW. They are however looking forward to going there with thier grandchildren (my kiddos). I will happily let you know how the "magic" was felt by thoose not into Disney. (Really, how could you not be into Disney:goodnevil)

Upvote 0
Any thoughts on the crowds the week leading up to Memorial Day (Starting Sat. 16th). I know the closer we get to the 22nd the busier we will see things, but I am hoping the beginning of the week we may be ok. Considering I am use to going during the spring break crowds, how would that compare?

Upvote 0

bferrara16

I think you will be fine. I have been in WDW for the week after Memorial Day in both 2006 and 2008 and didn't really have a problem with crowds at all. Just maintain good fastpass management and other typical timesavers and you will be all set.

Enjoy.

Upvote 0

hokielutz

The other thing that you need to do is plan exactly where you are going in the parks when you get there. Have a plan of action and try to follow it. Use the sample touring plans from touringplans dot com website or from the Unofficial Guide. For a short visit, and with moderate to heavy crowds, its very wise to have a plan, and cut out indecision in the park.

Upvote 0

Polyman

We'll be going the 23rd through the 29th which begins the Saturday before Memorial Day. I too have been worried about the crowds at the parks that Monday so I went ahead and planned a day at the pool with ressies at T-Rex in DTD that evening. I am really hoping the crowds diminish after Monday.

Since when does T-Rex accept reservations? My son was just there last week. He had called ahead but was told they don't accept ressies. :hammer::brick:

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

In January we had to call TRex directly to make an ADR. They did their own then.

I wouldn't say we're nervous about going the last week of May (24 - 31). My brother and I have talked about it. It's gonna be hot and crowded and we'll likely get PO'd with it numerous times but that's the only time his girls could go so we'll make the best of it. That means getting up at the crack of dawn to be in the parks at opening, out of the parks by lunch time for a swim and nap, then back in the parks in the late evening to close out the days. That's the best we can do. We know the girls won't see or do it all in that short a time so we'll just do whatever they want to do most and have fun along the way. I guess it helps that we're staying at the Poly and will have an awesome pool to use. :D

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom