Get Happy...With ABC!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Guests to the Disney-MGM Studios will get a first look at the exciting new fall lineup of shows on ABC in "Get Happy...With ABC!" a new show presented for a limited time in the theme park's ABC-TV Theater.

From July 1-Oct. 5, 2002, the 25-minute show introduces Walt Disney World guests to the new ABC shows and the stars who will light up television screens every night this fall.

ABC stars featured in the interactive presentation include Ben Affleck, James Bulliard, Jim Belushi, Jennifer Garner, Bonnie Hunt, Jimmy Kimmel, George Lopez, John Madden, John Ritter, Diane Sawyer, Michael Vartin and even the dino-stars of "Dinotopia." Throughout the show, the stars offer an exclusive preview of the new ABC schedule, featuring comedies, dramas, reality-based series, sports, news and late-night programming. The attraction will also introduce guests to programs that will be offered as part of the new "ABC Happy Hour" programming block.

"The addition of the 'Get Happy...With ABC!' live theatrical event at the Disney-MGM Studios is part of an unprecedented effort by the entire Walt Disney Company to help introduce our new fall schedule to viewers, and we couldn't be more excited," said Susan Lyne, president of ABC Entertainment. "This inventive, 25-minute attraction will give park guests an entertaining look at what they can expect from ABC this fall. We hope they like what they see."

"Get Happy...With ABC!" performances will occur daily at the ABC-TV Theater at Disney-MGM Studios through Oct. 5.

Main Street USA

Hmmmmmm. I guess this is better than this attraction being closed, right?:D

Sounds like 25 minutes is a little long just to look at some new shows. BUT, what the heck do I know.;)

james4023464

Does anybody know if ABC is bringing back TGIF in the fall, I heard in a recent article they are bringing it back. TGIF was awsome, it always made me watch tv friday night. Some past shows on TGIF were Boy Metts World, Sabrina the Tennage Witch, and all the way back to Full house and Family Matters. Those were some good shows.

ToTBellHop

it must not be too spectacular to only be at MGM for three months...but, I agree...it's better than nothing...granted half those shows will get cancelled...

pheneix

I couldn't help but laugh at the name for the show.

Michael Eisner: "Get Happy With ABC! No really, get happy! Now!"

Four months later...

"Damn, there goes my bonus."

TravisMT81

Originally posted by DogsRule!
it must not be too spectacular to only be at MGM for three months...but, I agree...it's better than nothing...granted half those shows will get cancelled...

half now that is being nice, probably most of them will be canceled.

Justin

If i had to choose nothing or a 25minute commercial... i would definately do the commercial. But i dont know if i could handle it i cant even handle a 1minute commercial :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mr.Nutz

Originally posted by james4023464
Is this show replacing the Doug show?

Doug Live closed a while ago.

Someone's trip report said this new 'attraction' is just a video of the new programmes, so how is that interactive? Sounds like a big waste of space to me.

So much for a new Superstar Television... :(

Wolf530

Get Happy - Low-down

Not sure if this is in another forum -- I only found 1 thread when I did a search. But I want to do a quick clear up of some stuff on "Get Happy with ABC".

It is in the ABC Theater, which is where Doug was. But as others have said, that's been gone for a while.

The highest show load so far has been approx. 260. The theater holds close to 1000. However, I would like to point out that the attraction has not been added to the Studios guide-map. So we (the cast members working there) are getting a lot of "Is this Millionaire?", "Is this Drew Carey?"...

There are five screens in the theater on the stage. On entering the theater, guests take a seat anywhere, (although you are encouraged to sit closer to the front for the possibility of catching a t-shirt), and then an intro begins. It's a montage of ABC shows set to music.

There are 3 MCs, all called "Sam". There are 2 men and 1 woman who play "Sam", at various times of the day. (Usually, the guys are there in the morning, and the woman is there in the evening.)

I won't go into the entire sequence of the show, but basically here's how it works: "Sam" talks to various actors/actresses who will be in the ABC shows, such as Jim Belushi, Bonnie Hunt, George Lopez, etc. That's what makes the attraction "interactive". Of course, it's all pre-taped, so the entire show is dependant on Sam keeping the show moving at the pace that is required to keep up with the actors onscreen.

The highlight of the show is within the first few minutes, when Jim Belushi gives the MC his t-shirt to allow the audience to see his clip/clips of the new shows. He "throws" the shirt at Sam, and it drops from a box out of view, above the stage. Sam then asks for a few more, and Jim Belushi drops a few more from another box. Sam then throws four of the six shirts into the audience. The studio page/operations cast member is then asked to take two shirts to the back of the auditorium. If there is a wheel-chair party, they get one of the t-shirts. Otherwise, the shirts just go to people in the back of the theater who aren't being obnoxious about getting a shirt. The shirts are a simple gray, with a small black ABC logo in the middle of the front. Underneath that, it says "America's Broadcasting Company". You can buy the shirts at "Golden Age Souvenirs" (the small merchandise shop between Drew Carey and Get Happy) for $20.

I wonder if there is going to be any merchandise from the shows available? I would like an ALIAS/the Practice shirt.

Besides the ABC shirt: no.

As everyone has noted, this isn't much more than a $25 minute commercial -- which is why most people have been reluctant to go in. More than anything else, it was a quick way to fill the valuable theater with some kind of attraction until another could be developed and implemented. As an added bonus, people may see a few shows that peak their interest.

Besides promo'ing the shows, ABC is trying to push their "Happy Hour" concept. Basically, from 8-9pm EST is ABC's "Happy Hour". Bid deal, right?

I would like to make note that ABC is lining up "Dinotopia" on Thursday nights against "Friends". Hah. Let's see how long that lasts.

Anyway, if you have any other questions about the show, feel free to ask. I helped open the attraction (and didn't even get a pin for it!), and I'm usually there at least once a day.

Timekeeper

I, for one, would much rather see something along the lines of "Get Happy with Playboy TV." Now THAT would fill the seats. And 25 minutes would leave audiences begging for more.

Tk

Mr.Nutz

Wolf530: Thank you!! Thanks for all that great info. I was wondering what exactly it was all about. My mum's in a wheelchair, so maybe we'll get a t-shirt if we go... I don't know if we'll go though, I don't think ABC's line-up appeals much to international visitors!

BRING BACK SUPERSTAR TELEVISION!!!

wannabeBelle

Wolf thank you so much for your input!!! Very complete although I wont be there during the time this is on!! I Am planning for another trip in mid to late Oct. Sorry to miss you!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom