George's Epic WDW predictions

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
The easiest way to see the decline is to go into the gift shops. Look at the quality of what they are selling... from toys to clothes. Has it stayed the same to declined? Well when you look back to the 70's the toys you got were the equivalent of what you would find at an FAO Schwartz in terms of quality... now days they are wal-mart quality at best with some falling into the Dollar Tree category of junk. Clothing? Well just look at the material used to make your standard Disney T-shirt, it used to be decent quality cotton, now you could use it great quality if you are comparing it to cheese cloth or gauze, but honestly most t-shirts in a Wal-Mart are better quality.

The majority of the rides are the same as they were 10 years ago, of course that means that they are in fact the same ride with 10 years of wear showing... but if you don't want to accept that there has been a slow decline, you don't have to. Sadly most of us that have been there in the better times know your wrong.

T-Shirt material in general is getting to very fine, thinner fabrics instead of the old heavy cotton Beefy-T type. I have a good mix of the old thick cotton and the newer lightweight cotton mix that you can almost see through and greatly prefer the lighter weight versions because they are more comfortable to me. Today's styles and sales are probably a direct reflection of this trend, Disney is no different than any other retailer in that if people do not purchase a current style they must be changed out for what people are buying. Go into Macy's, Belk, Dillard's, JCPenny, etc and you will generally find that the price of the thick heavy cotton shirts are dirt cheap when compared to the finer cotton fabrics that breathe and are much more popular.

Now, the one Disney Parks merchandise drives me insane, it is lazy and is done to streamline the product lines across all parks to reduce costs which is probably mere pennies per unit and the price difference could easily be added onto the retail price. I would gladly pay a dollar more for a WDW shirt/item over a Disney Parks item, in fact we do not purchase Disney Parks items at all.

thomas998

T-Shirt material in general is getting to very fine, thinner fabrics instead of the old heavy cotton Beefy-T type. I have a good mix of the old thick cotton and the newer lightweight cotton mix that you can almost see through and greatly prefer the lighter weight versions because they are more comfortable to me. Today's styles and sales are probably a direct reflection of this trend, Disney is no different than any other retailer in that if people do not purchase a current style they must be changed out for what people are buying. Go into Macy's, Belk, Dillard's, JCPenny, etc and you will generally find that the price of the thick heavy cotton shirts are dirt cheap when compared to the finer cotton fabrics that breathe and are much more popular.

Now, the one Disney Parks merchandise drives me insane, it is lazy and is done to streamline the product lines across all parks to reduce costs which is probably mere pennies per unit and the price difference could easily be added onto the retail price. I would gladly pay a dollar more for a WDW shirt/item over a Disney Parks item, in fact we do not purchase Disney Parks items at all.

My judgement on t-shirt would hold across printed t-shirts in decent department stores. You go look in a Macy's at a printed t and it is a lot thick and better made than a Disney t and yes it is dirt cheap compared to an over priced Disney shirt but then everything from water to watches is dirt cheap outside of disney if Disney is your comparison.

GrammieBee

Disney is an expensive product and has always known how to squeeze the last nickle out of its paying customers. This was as true forty years ago as it is now. It didn't cost as much, but most people didn't have as much disposable income to spend. We used to joke that other companies took lessons from Disney. If we couldn't afford it, we didn't go.

As far as getting less for more money, look around at everything you buy. You get less for a greater cost whether it is smaller Hershey kisses, the size or number of Kleenex tissues in a package, the amount of cereal in a box, the thickness of a polo shirt or the type of material in a blanket. My favorite was a brand that told you for your own safety you were getting a shorter cord with your new toaster. I have a theory that eventually you will pay your money, open the package and there will be nothing there.

For better or for worse, Disney is no different than any other company. Disney World, however,is still an amazing, if no longer charming, place.

The Empress Lilly

I predict in 8 years there will be a mine train ride dedicated to Indiana Jones in the New Adventureland Expansion. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if after decades and decades of the same restaurant lineup in MK a nice, new sit down restaurant that was based on the Jungle Book opened in the aforementioned New Adventureland area. Finally, I think that Disney Animation will make a movie called Freezing and a land based on that will be put in Disney-MGM Studios, I call a sleigh ride and ice skating rink!

Finally, in 2019 there will be a The Matrix expansion in Disney-MGM (will be re-branded Movie Magic Kingdom) and on this what Iger called 'timeless forever trendy classic' will be based a bullet-dodge thrill ride in ultra slow-motion, all thrills provided by 4D sound effects. There will also be a boat ride with narration by Keanu Reeves and a snack cart serving red or blue pills.
Wow, not bad George! And you called an ice rink too!

Last edited:

Fantasmicguy

I predict in 8 years there will be a mine train ride dedicated to Snow White in the New Fantasyland area. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if after decades and decades of the same restaurant lineup in MK a nice, new sit down restaurant that was based on the Beast's castle opened in the aforementioned new Fantasyland area. Finally, I think that James Cameron will make an outer space movie called Avarice and a land based on that will be put in Animal Kingdom, say 10 or 11 years from now. Also, either Dora the Explorer or Jack Sparrow will be added to MGM.

Finally, in 2019 there will be a SW expansion in MGM (will be re-branded Movie Magic Kingdom) and it will consist of an X-Wing spinner and two restaurants - Jabba's Hamburger Hutt and Cinnabon's Organa Rolls.
At first I was scared! Then I saw when it was last updated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom