George's Epic WDW predictions

Lefty

Epcot82Guy said:
On a side note, I will be interested to see how/if my viewpoint changes after my trip this summer. It will be just over 3.5 years (which is devastating to me), and I think I hit it as a CPer at a fairly low point (2002). I do think, as Speck76 has said, that things are being addressed. I still have my issues with some lack of creative original attractions, especially at MK and a character invasion at Epcot, BUT I will be the first to admit those are incredibly personal opinions. If Disney is replacing and adding quality attractions, and the CM training is high and preserved, I will not call that fault. It's a difference of opinion. However, I had noticed bad show, bad training, and bad guest behavior. Even worse, it seemed things were being addressed by saying "It's all wonderful" and "Look at our pretty cardboard cut outs" that added a level of superficiality. Those are the things that make me feel like WDW was slipping. However, again, I do believe they are being addressed and can't wait to see it first hand.

On a side note, I am surprised the CP issue has not been raised yet. I personally like it and think it merely is not being utilized to its fullest extent. It does foster 6 months of partying, but you have some very dedicated folks, and I think upping the requirements a bit more for successful completion could make this a extremely strong workforce. Sorry for the drift, but just always wished they would do a bit more with this so that it became a HUGE benefit to the magic instead of just a cheaper workforce.

What is CP?

tirian

Several folks have already said this, so I'll cut to the chase:

The "decline" was due to budget cuts related to the tourism lag following 9/11. Unlike the 9/11 argument used for DCA, it is not just a scapegoat at WDW. Now that attendance is high again, refurbishment has become a top priority at the parks. In addition to the major attractinon refurbs, Main Street is being rebuilt (the train station was just the beginning) and the resorts have been receiving TLC. Also, smaller things such as planters, sidewalks, and walls are constantly being replaced. It seems that little plywood walls and canvas go up every week!

EDIT:

What is CP?

the College Program kids. Although most of them love Disney, many come here to party for 6 months and don't really care about their jobs. Before any CPs get annoyed with that statement, you wouldn't be on these boards if you didn't like Disney, so I'm obviously not counting you as one of those people. Please don't be offended. :) WDW has recently gotten some bad publicity for its college program, both for allegedly taking advantage of cheap labor (which I don't agree with; the CPs know what they're getting into) and for a perceived decline in the quality of service. The latter argument has some truth to it. Unfortunately, I've found that many of the CPs really do come here just to skip a semester of college. But the majority of CPs are committed to creating magic.

Trizz41999

I have noticed a little dissatisfaction of WDW's employees. They could be a little bit nicer and help more with directions, imformation ect...

tirian

I have noticed a little dissatisfaction of WDW's employees. They could be a little bit nicer and help more with directions, information etc...

It's also extremely bad show to overhear some CMs onstage talking about how little they get paid. Unfortunately, if it weren't true, they wouldn't have to complain...

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Original Poster
I always enjoy talking with cast members about their jobs. Many have told me that though the pay is low, the work is easy (but that's not true for all I have talked to!). On a side note - I talked to the guy who runs the fishing shed in Port Orleans Riverside and he essentially admitted to have an extremely cush job that lended itself to hours of paperback reading. Very entertaining.
I'm glad to see so many think the downturn (real or percieved) was a temporary thing due to 9/11. As a technical person, one thing I would like to see is more money pumped into maintenance. It really bugs me when I'm on an attraction I've been on before and things aren't working. Most of the time its not such a big deal that it ruins my experience, but if it happens too often I does color my perceptions to a degree.
Random thought related to CPs - When I was in high school (85-88) it was in Hillsborough County (home to Tampa). They would bus us over to the parks (EPCOT and MK) and use us as temporary employees over Easter/Spring break to help out during that busy period. Do they still do that? For the most part we were terrible employees and like many high school kids used the knowledge we gained on later trips and not always in good ways. I could start another thread with crazy stories about this.

jesserin

Merlin said:
I'm sure there are many on these boards who, if they experienced just that, would say, "It's so magical!! What great storytelling!!" :hammer:

and yet a few here could have top notch service and would still find something to complain about... :hammer:

nelsonj3

I have gone to WDW just about every year for the past 15-20 years. I did notice a decline in quality right after 9/11, but last summer, I noticed that they were starting to try to spruce up the place. My wife and I are going down in the middle of March, and I am excited to see some of the changes/improvements that have been done since I've been there in July.

BTW, this is my 100th post!!

wannab@dis

Take a look at this thread...
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=70791

Too many people around here would read that and see the breakdown as evidence of declining quality. I can just read it now -- "If they would spend some money, then the TTA wouldn't have a problem".

The first thing I noticed in that post was that Disney's Customer Service went above and beyond on trying to make it right! The quality of service is still there. That's a major part of the Magic at WDW.

Several have posted the truth. If you look for problems, you will find them. I would rather look for the magic and I've never had a problem finding it. :wave:

imagineer boy

WDW's quality was certainly declining in the dark years of Paul Pressler, where such disasters like The Tiki Room Under New Management, and the new JIYI were made. However, after those dark times, WDW has slowly been improving. VERY slowly unfotunately. No where near as fast as DL's improvements have been. Hopefully, they can bring in Matt Ouimet or Greg Emmer to be the presidents of WDW, and then the dark days of WDW will be completely over. Quality attractions will be built, marketing won't be so over used as it is now, all of the attractions will recieve their long awaited large rehabs denied to them for years where they will return to their former glory.

My god, it will be beautiful.

lamarvenoy

I think the majority of FREQUENT visitors can agree there have been slippage in upkeep and attraction decisions. I think that is why a change in regime was so imminent and welcome.Will it get better? I think so.

Carolwood

Epcot82Guy said:
I agree that if you look for problems you will find them. However, I think the parks have been changing, and the size has a lot to do with that. Disney has become a HUGE company, and individual training often takes a hit when you do that. Add in the fact that the resort has gotten very large means you need more people, more equipment, etc. That means greater numbers of "bad apples" or problems even if the proportion is the same. It also means taking people that may not have been taken before simply because it takes that many people to run WDW daily.

However, I think a much bigger difference has come from society. Disney has changed some of its offerings only because people respond to them. Unfortunately, the level of respect people seem to show on vacation has declined (again, not by a lot, but in a noticeable fashion). Add in numbers again, and this can create a different atmosphere.

You nailed it. I agree 100 percent. All very valid points.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Original Poster
wannab@dis said:
Take a look at this thread...
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=70791

Too many people around here would read that and see the breakdown as evidence of declining quality. I can just read it now -- "If they would spend some money, then the TTA wouldn't have a problem".

The first thing I noticed in that post was that Disney's Customer Service went above and beyond on trying to make it right! The quality of service is still there. That's a major part of the Magic at WDW.

Several have posted the truth. If you look for problems, you will find them. I would rather look for the magic and I've never had a problem finding it. :wave:

I wouldn't find this break down to be evidence of a decline in quality. Periodic break downs happen. I do think there are a subset of attractions that rarely have all of their effects working and I find these to be more of a concern (i.e I think it becomes acceptable to have them running in this state). What will everyone's view of Everest be in 5 years if 3.5 of the years the ride has been running with strobe lights flashing on a stationary Yeti?

New2WDW

Ghostbuster626 said:
Quality has been slipping for years at WDW however now I think its on the rebound.

This reminds me how long Disney has been able to keep up what Walt originally created! when you look at other companies that started off great, as soon as the originator passed or moved on the companies lost the vision and then ....crash and burn!

Laura

The reason people think that Disney is declining is because of the stupid friggin internet. Anytime a single small thing is less than perfect - it is posted all over the internet for everyone to see and read.

I've been going to the parks for nearly 25 years. They are better now than ever before. Thanks to Michael Eisner, Disney World has become a total vacation destination unlike anywhere else.

Another problem is people for some reason have all become nearsighted. They are so focused on up close things like a piece of chipped paint that they fail to see the enormous, mind-blowing, beautiful things that surround them in the distance. And if they encounter one cast member who is having a bad day, they become oblivious to the thousands of other cast members who are working hard and creating magic.

But the bottom line is, I could care less if you all enjoy WDW or not. To me it is unique, magical, and indescribable. And I feel privileged to be able to enjoy such a place, and I'm not gonna let the negativity of others ruin my experience.

jesserin

Laura22 said:
The reason people think that Disney is declining is because of the stupid friggin internet. Anytime a single small thing is less than perfect - it is posted all over the internet for everyone to see and read.

I've been going to the parks for nearly 25 years. They are better now than ever before. Thanks to Michael Eisner, Disney World has become a total vacation destination unlike anywhere else.

Another problem is people for some reason have all become nearsighted. They are so focused on up close things like a piece of chipped paint that they fail to see the enormous, mind-blowing, beautiful things that surround them in the distance. And if they encounter one cast member who is having a bad day, they become oblivious to the thousands of other cast members who are working hard and creating magic.

But the bottom line is, I could care less if you all enjoy WDW or not. To me it is unique, magical, and indescribable. And I feel privileged to be able to enjoy such a place, and I'm not gonna let the negativity of others ruin my experience.

:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: Here Here! :) Best post in this thread!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom