George Lucas Mentions Star Tours Overhaul!

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Certainly good news!

Just keep in mind, everyone, that Lucas is notoriously slow at doing things. Soon for him might be 2-3 years.

DarkMeasures

See. Jim Hill was right. But right now it is more or less wanting. Both on Lucas and Iger's side but Iger can't officially do anything until he is CEO. But since Eisner has been letting Iger do so much stuff I am sure the project can get off the ground rather quickly.

CTXRover

That's certainly the most encouraging news for a Star Tours overhaul that I've ever heard. Now beyond an official announcement of some kind, it does sound like Disney/Lucas are seriously considering or working on a re-do. Could the rehab of the At-At out front be signaling something else to come? Could Lucas's visit to MGM back in February have anything to do with this? Can we expect any mention of a possible Star Tours rehab at the press's "What's new, What's next" presentation at MGM on May 4th (or 5th)? I don't know.

New simulator please

I hope overhaul includes changing the entire ride simulator experience. It is so dated I get motion sickness just thinking about it. :hurl:

TheDisneyMagic

I have ridden the current show hundreds of times and I still enjoy it every ride, I suppose it is great if it does get updated and brought into 2005. I hope the pre que section stays the same because I love that area.

GSpiff

You know, I have a very bad feeling about this change. It seems like every time a ride at Disney gets an overhaul, it becomes something that no one likes. Alien Encounter and Journey into the Imagination come to mind instantly. People are very picky, and even though it's George Lucas, it seems like crowds are become more difficult to please.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
GSpiff said:
You know, I have a very bad feeling about this change. It seems like every time a ride at Disney gets an overhaul, it becomes something that no one likes. Alien Encounter and Journey into the Imagination come to mind instantly. People are very picky, and even though it's George Lucas, it seems like crowds are become more difficult to please.

Lucas wouldn't let them use the old ride system. He HATES old technology.

CTXRover

GSpiff said:

While I enjoy Star Tours and would be happy with just an update of the technology (flat screen, High Def projections in the capsules for instance or newer simulator technology...doesn't DisneySea have something that's the next generation of these type of simulators?), I think there is a lot of potential for something even better with a new, or additional, storylines.

There will always be folks who think the older was better. In case of SGE/AE and the Figment re-do's, most are right. But there are a number of overhauls for the better that come to my mind too, Legend of the Lion King to Philharmagic, DreamFlight to Buzz, Toad to Pooh (not for everyone, but probably a majority), all the TOT ride updates, Fantasy in the Sky to Wishes, etc.

I've been hopeful for sometime they would upgrade Star Tours. Lucas is a major player in making that happen (as is Disney agreeing to help design it/pay for it). Lucas hinting at it coming soon makes me very hopeful though.

Lee

Adventurer
I'm told they will use the existing ride system, but with COMPLETELY redone audio and video.
Anyone who has seen the current video system up close can testify as to how old-school it is...exposed film running around the back of the vehicle.

speck76

Thrawn said:
Lucas wouldn't let them use the old ride system. He HATES old technology.

I hope you are correct.....throwing a new film in hte current ride would not solve all of the issues of that attraction.

BigNorm

I love the current Star Tours, but I think it would be cool if Rex accidentally flew us into the forest scene from 'Jedi' or onto Hoth from 'Empire.' We need more than just a trip to Endor. Give us Hoth or Tatooine or even wookie home world, Kashyyyk, in addition to Endor and I would be happy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom