George Lucas Cut of "Rise of Skywalker"

Tony Perkis

Well said. Given the money and talent involved I don't think it's inflammatory to suggest we (meaning, all audiences) deserved better.
You mean putting J.J. Abrams in charge to something didn’t result in a playbook for the movie/series to follow?

Where have I seen this before?

Screamface

You mean putting J.J. Abrams in charge to something didn’t result in a playbook for the movie/series to follow?

Where have I seen this before?

I see TFA very much like JJ's work on TV. It's a pilot, there's a whole lot of potential set up. It lives or dies by whoever continues it. Lost simply went on too long, the actual problems were created by the showrunners after JJ left. Fringe was good though. That laid the groundwork and paid off later.

I would love to know what, if, there was an actual plan for the trilogy. We've heard enough from people involved that there was a plan that no one enforced and the writer of TLJ ignored completely/ un did.

With TFA, why does Anakin's lightsaber call to Rey? Why does she have visions of Luke's memories? Why does Obi-Wan call to her? Was there a plan, an idea or was this just, "someone else can figure it out" and the person hired to do so went, "nope."

Joesixtoe

While TFA is much better than TLJ and TROS, I don't think it's good either, just meh. TFA was leaning on two things to sell itself. One being a nostalgic call-back to what people liked about Episodes 4-6. The second was the original plotlines and characters it introduced. The nostalgia was a mixed bag, and often felt like a poor knock-off of Ep 4 (and even parts of 5 and 6). The new elements were also a very mixed bag, but at least opened up some interesting mysteries.

The problem is that the new plots/characters were 100% reliant on TLJ and TROS being able to properly clarify, expand and satisfyingly conclude them. They were abysmal failures at doing this. As a result, not only were TLJ and TROS themselves wretched movies, TFA retroactively became even worse due to its complete reliance on TLJ and TROS carrying its plot. So to me, TFA is mediocre at best in a vacuum separated from its sequels. Considerably worse after seeing the sequels.
If you take out starkiller base, then I think TFA is a really good movie. It did what it set out to do, bring back the "feel" of the OT. I'm not talking story wise, I'm talking about the sets, the cinematography, the look of the lands and real world props, also the dialogue and humor. These things the prequels severely lacked. However the story lacks, the belittling of our heroes of the past is such a ignorant thing Disney or Lucasfilm did. You don't break up Han and Leia and have them be some worn down tragedy. Luke.. tragedy. Our heros of hope had heart breaking lives after their great victory.

Screamface

If you take out starkiller base, then I think TFA is a really good movie. It did what it set out to do, bring back the "feel" of the OT. I'm not talking story wise, I'm talking about the sets, the cinematography, the look of the lands and real world props, also the dialogue and humor. These things the prequels severely lacked. However the story lacks, the belittling of our heroes of the past is such a ignorant thing Disney or Lucasfilm did. You don't break up Han and Leia and have them be some worn down tragedy. Luke.. tragedy. Our heros of hope had heart breaking lives after their great victory.

It still blows my mind they got them all back, never gave them a scene altogether and then destroyed their characters.

Han's character development undone, he dies and no one really cares. In TFA Kathleen made JJ cut out the main plot with Leia because it was too prequel era. Even though it explained sections of the plot which are still yet to be filled in. The film was then a massive tease and build up for Luke. For the next film to crap all over that and make fun of the audience for being excited. It put Leia in a coma for most of the film. Killed Luke and then Carrie died in real life.

What a mess.

With your observation about Starkiller, there are suggestions it was not in the original script. It was something added in during rewrites in production because the films third act was weak. It actually makes a lot of sense. You can see how it could be slotted in. Poe blowing it up, well he wasn't even alive at that point of the film in the original script. So who would have been flying the x-wings if there's no characters for the role?

Joesixtoe

It still blows my mind they got them all back, never gave them a scene altogether and then destroyed their characters.

Han's character development undone, he dies and no one really cares. In TFA Kathleen made JJ cut out the main plot with Leia because it was too prequel era. Even though it explained sections of the plot which are still yet to be filled in. The film was then a massive tease and build up for Luke. For the next film to crap all over that and make fun of the audience for being excited. It put Leia in a coma for most of the film. Killed Luke and then Carrie died in real life.

What a mess.

With your observation about Starkiller, there are suggestions it was not in the original script. It was something added in during rewrites in production because the films third act was weak. It actually makes a lot of sense. You can see how it could be slotted in. Poe blowing it up, well he wasn't even alive at that point of the film in the original script. So who would have been flying the x-wings if there's no characters for the role?
That's what I'm saying, they really wanted to dive away from prequel like scenes and such. Even the clones reference by Kylo to Hux was a slight jab at the prequels and the same I think for the beginning of the movie when Lor San Tekka(I hope I said that right) tells Poe that this will begin to make things right. Man I was all for this too. I was excited the first 2/3 of the movie. But no Luke and that would have been forgivable if respected in TLJ.., Leia with little scenes and stuck in the background, Han got a good part but bad back story.

I didnt hear that but I can believe that about Star Killer.. I mean huge killer planet, not much said on it throughout the movie, the planets that it blows up are supposed to have an effect on us cause?? "Well we were supposed to know that it was the new republic home worlds".. o ok gotcha. The game plan on how to destroy the base was rushed, everything about star killer seemed rushed and easily defeated to be honest.

Screamface

While a Lucas cut doesn't exist, if there is meant to be an extended cut. I wonder if they'll crank it out for Disney + just so they have new content.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

ppete1975

That's what I'm saying, they really wanted to dive away from prequel like scenes and such. Even the clones reference by Kylo to Hux was a slight jab at the prequels and the same I think for the beginning of the movie when Lor San Tekka(I hope I said that right) tells Poe that this will begin to make things right. Man I was all for this too. I was excited the first 2/3 of the movie. But no Luke and that would have been forgivable if respected in TLJ.., Leia with little scenes and stuck in the background, Han got a good part but bad back story.

I didnt hear that but I can believe that about Star Killer.. I mean huge killer planet, not much said on it throughout the movie, the planets that it blows up are supposed to have an effect on us cause?? "Well we were supposed to know that it was the new republic home worlds".. o ok gotcha. The game plan on how to destroy the base was rushed, everything about star killer seemed rushed and easily defeated to be honest.
would have been better to explain what the planets were a little more depth to characters (btw I liked 7) but then have the rebels lose (they lost 2 3 5 and 8 after all, some of that could be debated). Episode 8 maybe 9 starkiller is still out killing everything. kill han later, have luke fly in on his xwing to starkiller at the last second where han chewie leia and the new kids on the block all work to take it out. Maybe kill Han, and luke there, (han by kylo, luke ala obi or something. Btw Snoke fights in this version but killed by luke with powers that we always knew he would have.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom