George Lucas Cut of "Rise of Skywalker"

MickeyMouse10

Original Poster
All I'm saying is if it's true, it sounds like a better version than the choppy one we got. It chaps my bottom that we never got to see the original trio back together. They just had Luke feel that Han was killed.

Darkprime

All I'm saying is if it's true, it sounds like a better version than the choppy one we got. It chaps my bottom that we never got to see the original trio back together. They just had Luke feel that Han was killed.

I just find it weird that they would bring Lucas on, have him edit a full cut of TROS and then choose not to release it. Surely they know that the fandom has become a lot more accepting of Lucas in recent years. Having his name attached to the TROS might have been a good thing.

Screamface

Even if it were true I wouldn't watch it. Lucas nearly decimated the franchise with the prequels.

Hogwash.

The sequels did not "nearly" decimate the franchise. They were all very financially successful. One of the biggest launch titles on Disney + was George Lucas era TV series, based on the prequels. The other day they just announced another TV series based off that. Dead silence on anything coming from the era of the sequel.

The prequels for all their flaws did nothing but dramatically add to the scope, story and creativity of Star Wars. They also completed the story, added layers of depth and meaning. The best output Disney has managed to do is material based around George's world-building. Their own original entries are creatively and artistically void, lacking any purpose for existing other than nostalgia dollars. Which added nothing to the world except detract and undermined the story George had laid out.

G00fyDad

Hogwash.

The sequels did not "nearly" decimate the franchise. They were all very financially successful. One of the biggest launch titles on Disney + was George Lucas era TV series, based on the prequels. The other day they just announced another TV series based off that. Dead silence on anything coming from the era of the sequel.

The prequels for all their flaws did nothing but dramatically add to the scope, story and creativity of Star Wars. They also completed the story, added layers of depth and meaning. The best output Disney has managed to do is material based around George's world-building. Their own original entries are creatively and artistically void, lacking any purpose for existing other than nostalgia dollars. Which added nothing to the world except detract and undermined the story George had laid out.

Thank you for YOUR opinion. ;)

Screamface

Everything I stated was a fact.

All the prequels were financially successful and were in the 1st, 4th and 2nd places at the global box office in their years of release.

The Clone Wars season 7 was a much hyper and successful launch title for the first quarter of Disney +. They just announced a spin off TV show from the series called, "The Bad Batch."

There are zero announced or rumoured TV shows, animated or live-action based around the sequel trilogy.

The prequels contained more aliens, worlds, technology, story, ideas etc, than the originals or the sequels. They completed the 6 saga story, in a way that brings new meaning to the end of ROTJ and Anakin's redemption.

The sequels are mainly a recycling of ideas, plot points, ideas, vehicles, designs and worlds being derivative of the original trilogy. Bringing back Palpatine undermined the original 6 saga story arc that Lucas wrote and Anakin's Chosen One story arc.

All of this is fact. You may love Kylo or whatever and enjoy the films.

G00fyDad

All the prequels were financially successful and were in the 1st, 4th and 2nd places at the global box office in their years of release.

The Clone Wars season 7 was a much hyper and successful launch title for the first quarter of Disney +. They just announced a spin off TV show from the series called, "The Bad Batch."

There are zero announced or rumoured TV shows, animated or live-action based around the sequel trilogy.

The prequels contained more aliens, worlds, technology, story, ideas etc, than the originals or the sequels. They completed the 6 saga story, in a way that brings new meaning to the end of ROTJ and Anakin's redemption.

The sequels are mainly a recycling of ideas, plot points, ideas, vehicles, designs and worlds being derivative of the original trilogy. Bringing back Palpatine undermined the original 6 saga story arc that Lucas wrote and Anakin's Chosen One story arc.

OF COURSE they were high grossing in the box office. It was exciting to see something new from Star Wars. It still doesn't mean I have to like it or that your OPINION is more valid than mine. For comparison, Home Alone was high grossing too.

You like them better. THAT is your opinion. And I don't like Kylo. THAT is my opinion.

Also, the sequels had their problems. TFA was a clone of the classics. Killing off of Han. Luke being bitter. Story. And many other issues. Disney really messed up when they "de-cannoned" the expanded universe. The sequels SHOULD have been about Anakin, Jaina and Jacen (Han and Leia's kids) and the Yuuzahn Vong.

The prequels made me just cringe the entire time. And they made me mad. I actually camped out for tickets for TPM and nearly left the theater when I saw Jar Jar and Jake Lloyd's acting. They would have been better if they had gotten rid of the Gungans and replaced Jake Lloyd with Freddie Boath (The Mummy Returns).

Last edited:

MerlinTheGoat

The sequel trilogy is terrible and boring, even from a conceptual standpoint there's almost nothing that could be salvaged. I wouldn't even care about an alternate cut of the movies. I didn't care for the alleged Trevorrow script that was leaked either. While I don't think the prequels are "good" movies either (at least on the surface), their problems are in the clumsy execution. Conceptually they had the potential to be great movies, and they're often very entertaining and fun in spite of the camp. I still enjoyed them infinitely more than the sequels.

That said, this guy is full of crap. Youtube is full of these nuts, it's an epidemic over the past 2-3 years of blatantly fake Star Wars news (also occasionally covering Marvel and DC). Others include Mike Zeroh, Yellow Flash, Clownfish TV, Geeks + Gamers, World Class BSers (can't spell out the full name as it's swearing), The Quartering etc. Their favorite topics revolve around their fantasy of Kathleen Kennedy being fired and that Disney is removing the sequel trilogy from canon. Don't watch their videos, they're lying and clickbaiting you for money.

MickeyMouse10

Original Poster
I actually think the sequels (Last Jedi and Skywalker) are far worse than the prequels. The only one I enjoyed was "Force Awakens". It had great origins of the three new characters and a straightlaced storyline that had a purpose.

The others seemed too choppy, with thrown in storylines that went nowhere (Rose and whatever the Benicio Del Toro storyline was about) and gave vital characters (Snoke, Phasma) very little screen time before killing them off.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Hogwash.

Not a particularly compelling one either...

You can’t sneer while throwing our platitudes and expect any credibility

Screamface

I actually think the sequels (Last Jedi and Skywalker) are far worse than the prequels. The only one I enjoyed was "Force Awakens". It had great origins of the three new characters and a straightlaced storyline that had a purpose.

The others seemed too choppy, with thrown in storylines that went nowhere (Rose and whatever the Benicio Del Toro storyline was about) and gave vital characters (Snoke, Phasma) very little screen time before killing them off.

The Force Awakens was damaged hard by its sequels. So much of that film is about building up and anticipation for where it will go, what is actually going on. It's just not as satisfying as it was when the promise was still there. For it's rehashed plot, it did so many things right to set up the trilogy to go anywhere.

As the editors of it said, " It’s very strange to have the second film so consciously undo the story of the first one. "

I still find it odd, this choice was made while taking the franchise nowhere. It's more reductive than TFA and squanders the potential of the story and characters. The final film was just a thing unto itself for the most part, as there was no story.

On Benicio, his whole existence was just there to trick the audience. You're meant to think he's a bad guy with a secret heart of gold, fall into that trope. Only for him to just be a selfish bad guy. The whole film takes preferences in these little "hot takes" and subversion over plotting. The entire film is just made up of the writer exploring different ideas and falling back on the gimmick of "subverting".

MickeyMouse10

Original Poster
Yep, also because Rian Johnson killed off Snoke and Luke he ultimately doomed "Rise". There could have been a great dual battle with Luke facing Snoke and Rey facing Kylo. Rather then a thrown in of the Emperor, who hasn't been seen in any of the latest sequel films.

The Emperor to Kylo - ".... Oh I've just been chilling in the shadows for 20-30 years, I took up fishing and knitting. Mostly though I just spend time with my cats... they're evil too. But then I got a tweet you were doing some bad stuff."

Joesixtoe

The Force Awakens was damaged hard by its sequels. So much of that film is about building up and anticipation for where it will go, what is actually going on. It's just not as satisfying as it was when the promise was still there. For it's rehashed plot, it did so many things right to set up the trilogy to go anywhere.

As the editors of it said, " It’s very strange to have the second film so consciously undo the story of the first one. "

I still find it odd, this choice was made while taking the franchise nowhere. It's more reductive than TFA and squanders the potential of the story and characters. The final film was just a thing unto itself for the most part, as there was no story.

On Benicio, his whole existence was just there to trick the audience. You're meant to think he's a bad guy with a secret heart of gold, fall into that trope. Only for him to just be a selfish bad guy. The whole film takes preferences in these little "hot takes" and subversion over plotting. The entire film is just made up of the writer exploring different ideas and falling back on the gimmick of "subverting".
I don't know if I could agree with you anymore. Except maybe the final film was a reaction to a reaction of the last jedi imo.

MerlinTheGoat

While TFA is much better than TLJ and TROS, I don't think it's good either, just meh. TFA was leaning on two things to sell itself. One being a nostalgic call-back to what people liked about Episodes 4-6. The second was the original plotlines and characters it introduced. The nostalgia was a mixed bag, and often felt like a poor knock-off of Ep 4 (and even parts of 5 and 6). The new elements were also a very mixed bag, but at least opened up some interesting mysteries.

The problem is that the new plots/characters were 100% reliant on TLJ and TROS being able to properly clarify, expand and satisfyingly conclude them. They were abysmal failures at doing this. As a result, not only were TLJ and TROS themselves wretched movies, TFA retroactively became even worse due to its complete reliance on TLJ and TROS carrying its plot. So to me, TFA is mediocre at best in a vacuum separated from its sequels. Considerably worse after seeing the sequels.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

While TFA is much better than TLJ and TROS, I don't think it's good either, just meh. TFA was leaning on two things to sell itself. One being a nostalgic call-back to what people liked about Episodes 4-6. The second was the original plotlines and characters it introduced. The nostalgia was a mixed bag, and often felt like a poor knock-off of Ep 4 (and even parts of 5 and 6). The new elements were also a very mixed bag, but at least opened up some interesting mysteries.

The problem is that the new plots/characters were 100% reliant on TLJ and TROS being able to properly clarify, expand and satisfyingly conclude them. They were abysmal failures at doing this. As a result, not only were TLJ and TROS themselves wretched movies, TFA retroactively became even worse due to its complete reliance on TLJ and TROS carrying its plot. So to me, TFA is mediocre at best in a vacuum separated from its sequels. Considerably worse after seeing the sequels.

Well said. Given the money and talent involved I don't think it's inflammatory to suggest we (meaning, all audiences) deserved better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom