General Star Wars News

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
…so this is where you’ve been hiding? 🧐
Just holding out for the glorious reaction of the Starwars fandom on the next Kennedy offering when it hits. Won't launch into any sanctimonious diatribe as it's pointless with options already baked in by political ideologies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Just holding out for the glorious reaction of the Starwars fandom on the next Kennedy offering when it hits. Won't launch into any sanctimonious diatribe as it's pointless with options already baked in by political ideologies.

Nothing will change until she shuffles with the sweater

I’m intrigued about the rogue squadron maybe being back on…

But that could be Director drumming up business for herself?
Kinda like manboy Johnson acting like he has a future there 🤪

Mike S

4ac.gif

Now combine this with low toy sales from Hasbro and and the absolute failures of Willow and Indiana Jones and you have to wonder why a hammer hasn’t come down yet on those responsible for this direction.

Wendy Pleakley

4ac.gif

Now combine this with low toy sales from Hasbro and and the absolute failures of Willow and Indiana Jones and you have to wonder why a hammer hasn’t come down yet on those responsible for this direction.

Seems like a biased article.

Do they include the streaming revenue that Star Wars shows contribute to?

Do they include the profits ILM makes, and the cost savings from having an in house special effects company? In fact, arguably the best one in the business?

Do they include the impact of theme park attendance from Star Wars attractions? Attractions they no longer need to pay a licensing fee for?

Do they care that recouping $4 billion isn't going to happen overnight and this was a long term investment?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
4ac.gif

The true damage is to the licensing/product

The only thing that sells is the old stuff to the old guard

Mike S

Do they include the profits ILM makes, and the cost savings from having an in house special effects company? In fact, arguably the best one in the business?

Do they include the impact of theme park attendance from Star Wars attractions? Attractions they no longer need to pay a licensing fee for?

Do they care that recouping $4 billion isn't going to happen overnight and this was a long term investment?
Long term or not it’s been over 10 years and they’ve screwed the pooch with all 3 of their original franchises. Heads should be rolling.

Top. Heads.

Even if ILM is as huge of a success as ever that isn’t relevant to the failure of the creative teams at LucasFilm. In a way the parks shouldn’t be relevant either. As an example let’s say the Indiana Jones addition to Animal Kingdom is a roaring success for the park which it likely will be. That shouldn’t be treated as lifting the burden off of the failure of the team behind Dial of Destiny.

On streaming, Mando was their biggest thing and it took a dive in season 3.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Not only that but they claim that filming in the UK is somehow a money making scheme because of the incentives they received. For someone who supposedly reported on the movie industry for 15 years they surely don't know this is normal and that ALL studios film where they receive incentives.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
On streaming, Mando was their biggest thing and it took a dive in season 3.
That's completely false.

The Mandalorian with the 8th most streamed original series in 2023.

And also...

As the third season progressed, not only was it in the top ten of Nielsen's chart of streaming original shows, but the number of minutes watched kept growing.

It's fine if one's opinion is that they didn't like it.

But it was popular.

And Mandalorian's scores went *up* after the third season on RT and IMDB.

I liked it.

And Disney is making a movie of it. They wouldn't if it wasn't popular. Just look at all the D+ series that have been canceled, and yet, they're doubling down on it.

Do you have some reason to make up stuff?

Wendy Pleakley

That's completely false.

And also...

And Disney is making a movie of it. They wouldn't if it wasn't popular. Just look at all the D+ series that have been canceled, and yet, they're doubling down on it.

The people that dislike any given show/movie have become so loud and persistent, that many have convinced themselves that their assessment represents some sort of absolute critical truth.

Star Wars continues to have a huge audience and the reaction to everything will continue to be mixed. Some people need to understand that the movie they hated, was simultaneously loved by many.

There's this argument that the people in charge have failed and must be replaced, while ignoring the fact that absolutely no one will ever generate Star Wars shows that appeal to everyone. In case anyone forgot, even George Lucas couldn't do that.

Mike S

That's completely false.

And also...

I was under the impression that was the show as a whole which would include people watching the earlier seasons in preparation and not just season 3. If I’m wrong that’s my bad I guess.

Regarding the Mando movie I view it as a Hail Mary for LucasFilm attempting to get a hit in theaters especially after Indy failed spectacularly.
The people that dislike any given show/movie have become so loud and persistent, that many have convinced themselves that their assessment represents some sort of absolute critical truth.

Star Wars continues to have a huge audience and the reaction to everything will continue to be mixed. Some people need to understand that the movie they hated, was simultaneously loved by many.

There's this argument that the people in charge have failed and must be replaced, while ignoring the fact that absolutely no one will ever generate Star Wars shows that appeal to everyone. In case anyone forgot, even George Lucas couldn't do that.
One thing the prequels did do though is sell merchandise. I remember seeing whole aisles dedicated to Star Wars as a kid. Now it’s just one section of an aisle for toys and one section in the LEGO aisle and the vast majority is not based on anything Disney made except Mando. Jurassic Park has more shelf space.

erasure fan1

Long term or not it’s been over 10 years and they’ve screwed the pooch with all 3 of their original franchises. Heads should be rolling.

Top. Heads.
I agree. It's not just star wars, like you said, it's all the lucasfilm properties. We all can argue back and forth on if Disney made their investment back. But I don't see how people can think Disney is ok with what they've earned off lucasfilm. I have to believe Disney was looking for a much bigger return. There's zero chance the plan was to abandon theatrical star wars after ep9. I doubt they're happy with the Disney era merch, OT still does decent numbers. And galaxys edge had to be an eye opener as well. I've said it a lot, Kennedy is one of the most storied producers in the history of film. But she's been a terrible president of lucasfilm and it's a wonder how she's still there.
You are right on. It's very unlikely that you will hit all demographics and appeal to everyone. But if you put the ip in someone's hands that cares about the franchise and is good at what they do, you can come pretty close. Mando season 1 shows you can come extremely close.

Mike S

You are right on. It's very unlikely that you will hit all demographics and appeal to everyone. But if you put the ip in someone's hands that cares about the franchise and is good at what they do, you can come pretty close. Mando season 1 shows you can come extremely close.
Season 1 and Season 2*

Especially the end of Season 2 is the closest we got to getting back to the pre and post Episode VII hype. I wonder why that is? 🤔

sedati

Fans were "done" with Star Wars after Episode 8 (a film that re-ignighted others)
Fans also thought "Rebels" was some of the best Star Wars they'd ever seen (a show they tried to whine out of existence when first announced)
Fans thought the return of the "Clone Wars" was some of the best Star Wars they've ever seen.
Fans thought "Star Wars Visions" was some of the best Star Wars they've ever seen.
and about every other episode of Mando
and much of Bad Batch
and about every other episode of Book of Boba Fett
and the end of every arc of Andor.
Even good chunks of Kenobi and Ahsoka.

Not to mention games, especially "Jedi Survivor" (and shout out to "Vader Immortal" and the other VR offerings- can we please get updates for the new hardware please? And new stuff)

Also, "Rise of the Resistance" is phenomenal and the most full experience I've ever had in a theme park.

... and Star Wars Lego!

The whiplash is honestly insane, especially coming from people who keep swearing "THEY'RE DONE WITH DISNEY STAR WARS!!!"

... see you at "The Acolyte"

Honestly we've gotten more of "Some of the best Star Wars I've ever seen" in the last ten years than the previous forty.

Mike S

Fans were "done" with Star Wars after Episode 8 (a film that re-ignighted others)
Fans also thought "Rebels" was some of the best Star Wars they'd ever seen (a show they tried to whine out of existence when first announced)
Fans thought the return of the "Clone Wars" was some of the best Star Wars they've ever seen.
Fans thought "Star Wars Visions" was some of the best Star Wars they've ever seen.
and about every other episode of Mando
and much of Bad Batch
and about every other episode of Book of Boba Fett
and the end of every arc of Andor.
Even good chunks of Kenobi and Ahsoka.

Not to mention games, especially "Jedi Survivor" (and shout out to "Vader Immortal" and the other VR offerings- can we please get updates for the new hardware please? And new stuff)

Also, "Rise of the Resistance" is phenomenal and the most full experience I've ever had in a theme park.

... and Star Wars Lego!

The whiplash is honestly insane, especially coming from people who keep swearing "THEY'RE DONE WITH DISNEY STAR WARS!!!"

... see you at "The Acolyte"

Honestly we've gotten more of "Some of the best Star Wars I've ever seen" in the last ten years than the previous forty.
And yet they missed where it counted the most: the Sequels.

I have always stated what I’ve liked from modern Star Wars. Animation seems to be where they get the most hits outside of Resistance. You also won’t see me at The Acolyte unless I actually hear good things from the people I watch. It’ll be the first Star Wars show where I’ll be spoiling myself before seeing if it’s worth my view.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom