General Pandora and Valley of Mo'ara reviews, comments and questions

BrianLo

Edit: It's interesting you mention SWE. In context of Shanghai where Soarin can regularly command greater waits than PotCBftST, it's fascinating. Very very odd. Though as an aside, Tron is supposedly the most popular attraction.

Capacity explains a lot of that. I don't know the pirates actual numbers but wouldn't be surprised if they were double a two theatre soaring.

I don't think the discrepancy will be as bad but likely MF has the smaller capacity.

Rteetz

First off @DDLand, thank you for your great explanation into your insight. I totally get where you are coming from even if I disagree with you. I still have a few points and questions though.

This is a design approach that I am not in love with in the context of the park. The land lacks a warmth and comfort that is found in the rest of the park.

Animal Kingdom was my favorite park prior to this and remains that way since this. I can understand why you feel it lacks the warmth and comfort of other areas but would Beastly Kingdom have had warmth and comfort?

Give me less rock to walk under, and more vegetation and land areas to explore. Disney's Animal Kingdom emphasizes organic exploration and discovery. Pandora just does not offer hardly any of it.

So there wasn't enough vegetation? I am sure there could have been more but I felt they did really good mixing in the plants both fake and real. One of my first comments was "I feel like I am in a natural park not a theme park"

It feels different from the rest of the park.
Understandable but again would Beastly Kingdom have been any different?

The best way to understand the ride is to realize it is essentially Soarin' or Soaring.
I suppose. I rode Soarin the day after this and I was almost bored in comparison. It is similar to Soarin but I don't feel it is essentially the same thing.

The land is still not in the right park.

The land is far far too alien.

I don't feel it is too far alien, but my question now is what park should this have gone? I wrote an article for the DIS about why Animal Kingdom is the right park in WDW. The way it was built it suits Animal Kingdom. Had this gone in DHS for example I think it is a completely different land. Sure we could have still had floating mountains but I don't think it is as lush or is as immensely detailed. Joe Rohde overseeing this project helped it a lot.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
It feels different from the rest of the park. That difference was one I was not expecting from the physical side of things. This is only exacerbated by the alien environments. It feels otherworldly in a park designed to celebrate our world. That is also profoundly disappointing. Dino-Roma feels like it belongs more than Pandora does.

Walk through Asia, Africa, and Pandora and it becomes stark one was designed in a microcosm.

That is not to say the land on its own is bad, but it strikes me as lacking harmony with the other lands.

Once again, I feel it is a singularly beautiful art piece. A misplaced one though. The land is gorgeous. I knew it would be, but I was not expecting it to feel odd within Disney's Animal Kingdom. It does. That is disappointing.

It is too alien, too imposing, and too open to truly meld with the park. I knew the story was a stretch, but the environment I thought would blend. It fails in this regard.

The story came after the IP. As long as any serious theme park fan adjusts their expectations accordingly, the story is enjoyable. While not a single one of my story complaints were addressed, it ended up being a fun narrative that does deal with some pretty cool environmental topics. It still does not deal with man's ancient and ongoing relationship with the Earth, but there are neat lessons to learn.

I would say within the constraints the Imagineers were working with, they did pretty much the best job possible. This could have been awful, but they did a pretty great work. All the same, the IP was an immediate compromise and a disappointing one. If only Pandora had been something else. The story integrity of Disney's Animal Kingdom would have been upheld. That was not to be, but at least they brought it as close as possible. Still it bodes poorly for the future...

As also a long-time skeptic of the entire idea of Avatar and the amount they spent on it, after having been there, I'm going to disagree about its placement...only to say if it MUST be done and we've resigned ourselves to that, that it works better in DAK than it would have in the other 3 parks.

Pandora works better in its mission that both Joe Rohde and James Cameron want to emphasize...about nature and the environment, etc. However, this theme allows them to do it in an abstract way, and therefore remove most of the "preachniess" complaints that would inevitably show up if this same kind of idea was designed as an historical Earth-based land.

We already have seen how many times Disney had to change the Safari ride a few times based on complaints about the storyline, even though it was an accurate portrayal of poaching.

I liken this to Star Trek in a way. Star Trek the series was basically an attempt by Gene Roddenberry to address the difficult issues facing society in a way that could speak to people differently. They would "let their guard down" so to speak about the issues because it didn't feel like the same, direct stories like they had seen before in real life style dramas.

In that regard, I believe Pandora works.

RSoxNo1

Animal Kingdom was my favorite park prior to this and remains that way since this. I can understand why you feel it lacks the warmth and comfort of other areas but would Beastly Kingdom have had warmth and comfort?

So there wasn't enough vegetation? I am sure there could have been more but I felt they did really good mixing in the plants both fake and real. One of my first comments was "I feel like I am in a natural park not a theme park"

Understandable but again would Beastly Kingdom have been any different?

I suppose. I rode Soarin the day after this and I was almost bored in comparison. It is similar to Soarin but I don't feel it is essentially the same thing.

I don't feel it is too far alien, but my question now is what park should this have gone? I wrote an article for the DIS about why Animal Kingdom is the right park in WDW. The way it was built it suits Animal Kingdom. Had this gone in DHS for example I think it is a completely different land. Sure we could have still had floating mountains but I don't think it is as lush or is as immensely detailed. Joe Rohde overseeing this project helped it a lot.
At this point, I actually think Beastly Kingdom or Mysterious Island would have been "too safe". The Mysterious Island that we know and the Beastly Kingdom that we think we know would have arguably been worse fits. I think Mysterious Island especially as a direct lift wouldn't have fit as well as Pandora did.

Pandora was a HUGE gamble. Admittedly, I don't think they realized it was one, but it was a huge gamble. The initial reaction played the out. But the treatment of it absolutely fits the park, and aside from it not having two headliners, it is an excellent addition befitting of the park.

Last edited:

Jedi Stitch

I can confirm they sold out yesterday. There was a long line to enter the store around 9. We entered the FoP queue a little after that, and by the time we exited the ride a couple hours later, the whole display was bare.
There was a lady walking around the local street fair here in Seattle, with one on her shoulder. Everyone was wowed by it, so word of mouth is spreading to get one.

Prototype82

Returned to Pandora over the weekend for extra magic hours. I thought I could walk through this land in my head but it turned out I hadn't discovered quite a few things...The SCENTS emanating from different plants in different corners. Animal sounds emanating from caves designed to hide cast member doorways, and I might have been imagining it, but I swear to God I saw the chalice plants pulsating light along with the rhythm of the drum circle but it might have been coincidence. I went in my explorer cosplay: tribal poncho and all - and the drum circle cast members had me interact and fill in parts of the show's script. It was so amazingly fun. And in the line for the River Journey I heard hunters on horseback. It's so unbelievably convincing and immersive at night.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Prototype82

Some one behind me in the Flight of Passage queue, right outside of the cave was taking bets from his family if he could jump up and hang onto the vine above. I turned around, looked him in the eye, and said "Please don't break my land." He looked kind of scared but I was wearing war paint so...Joke aside, I'm nervous about how this land will weather. For the most part, they did a good job of leaving fragile things like moss out of reach. I think it's going to weather pretty ok. And opting for drums, motion sensor elements, and large sturdy set pieces for interactive elements over fragile hands-on pieces was incredibly wise...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom