General Film Discussion (With Trailers)

Princess Leia

Based off of the reviews I’ve read today, it looks like Holmes and Watson may earn the title of ‘worst film of 2018.’

edit- adding this from Rotten Tomatoes:
1545854868756.png

No one likes this thing.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Based off of the reviews I’ve read today, it looks like Holmes and Watson may earn the title of ‘worst film of 2018.’

edit- adding this from Rotten Tomatoes:
View attachment 336162

No one likes this thing.

It just got its one and only critical like. So, its Tomatometer shot up to 5%.

It got a D+ CinemaScore. That's a rare achievement. Very difficult to get the people that go out to see a movie with established stars to so utterly reject what they saw.

Last edited:

Princess Leia

I just got its one and only critical like. So, its Tomatometer shot up to 5%.

It got a D+ CinemaScore. That's a rare achievement. Very difficult to get the people that go out to see a movie with established stars to so utterly reject what they saw.
Wait, are you saying you wrote the one positive review, or that you got an alert for it?

If it’s the first thing, are you (quickly checking RT) David Edelston?

The thing is, I laughed a few times during various trailers for it. Reading these reviews makes me wonder if they put all the good jokes in the trailers, and edited them for better timing.

Bairstow

Wait, are you saying you wrote the one positive review, or that you got an alert for it?

The thing is, I laughed a few times during various trailers for it. Reading these reviews makes me wonder if they put all the good jokes in the trailers, and edited them for better timing.

I think he just meant to type "It just got its one..."

Pity that the movie is such trash- I'm generally a big fan of Reilly and Farrell, though not necessarily together.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Oopsie.

It just got...

Princess Leia

2018 tallies for highest domestic grossing films:
1546269920147.png

There were a lot of success stories this year:

• Black Panther
    • Infinity War probably had the most momentum coming into the year, but Black Panther came in and took the crown (I'm sure Disney & Marvel were expecting it to have Ant-Man & the Wasp numbers, but it tripled that).
  • Incredibles 2
    • it's the highest grossing animated film. Domestically speaking (Frozen still wins for Worldwide). Is it the best animated film of the year? No (and it also wasn't the best seizure-inducing animated film), but it was still a good follow up to the original. You really have to give it to Pixar though for vastly improving the quality of CGI animation over the past 14 years.
  • The Grinch
    • It's got mediocre reviews (from both critics and viewers), but it's probably going to outperform Ralph Breaks the Internet. I think it was the only Christmas themed movie this season, so that helped.
  • A Star Is Born
    • people have gone crazy over this thing. I still need to watch it (I've watched 2 of the other versions and didn't really want to cry over the ending again), but kudos to the cast and crew.
  • Venom & Bohemian Rhapsody
    • proof that critics and audiences can completely disagree over movies (On RT: Venom- 28% Critic, 84% Audience; Bohemian- 62% Critic, 90% Audience)
  • A Quiet Place & Halloween
    • we're living in a renaissance of the horror genre.
  • Crazy Rich Asians
    • huh would you look at that, people like stories that involve diversity (see also- Black Panther)
  • and last but not least, Aquaman
    • That movie has been out for 10 days in the states but it is absolutely crushing it. By tomorrow, it will probably have taken the #12 spot from Bohemian Rhapsody.

Alright, what films on this list under-performed? They still made the top 20 domestic list, but didn't live up to expectations?

• Solo
    • I am clearly a Star Wars fan and I have yet to watch this movie. And as we all know (and I don't want to start another Star Wars discussion), this very visibly under-performed
  • Ralph Breaks the Internet
    • from everyone I have talked to, I have gotten a lot of mixed messages about this movie (and I'm getting that from RT too- 88% Critics rating/ 68% audience rating). I haven't watched it, so I can't judge, but it's gone against the Grinch (a holiday film) and Into the Spider-Verse (hands down the best animated film of the year and the best Spider-Man film since Spider-Man 2), and it's not competing well at all.
  • Fantastic Beasts 2
    • oooooof. Honestly, this was probably one of the worst films I have paid to watch in theaters. Magic is always pretty to watch on screen, but that plot did not redeem the price of the ticket. Critics hated it, audiences seem lukewarm to it, and it only being part 2/5 does not bode well.

Princess Leia

Ouch. Another stake in the heart of The Nutcracker and the Four Realms.

Good.
Iiiiii completely forgot about Nutcracker

Probably because it could have changed the name of all of the characters and it wouldn't have changed the plot at all (the plot having like zero to do with the actual story).

Disclaimer- I did not see the movie, only basing that opinion on literally everything I watched or read about it.

Bairstow

Bumblebee has me worried. It's not a perfect movie, and it's no where near as good as Spiderverse, but it's such a dramatic improvement in quality from the other Transformers "films" that its failure would teach the industry the wrong lessons. At least its budget was smaller.

Princess Leia

Bumblebee has me worried. It's not a perfect movie, and it's no where near as good as Spiderverse, but it's such a dramatic improvement in quality from the other Transformers "films" that its failure would teach the industry the wrong lessons. At least its budget was smaller.
Had it released in Asia yet?

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Original Poster
Has anyone watched Bird Box yet? I keep seeing the memes referenced on social media and what not and I know what the plot is but haven't really shown any interest in it. Should I?

NateD1226

Has anyone watched Bird Box yet? I keep seeing the memes referenced on social media and what not and I know what the plot is but haven't really shown any interest in it. Should I?
I have! It actually isn't that scary. There is only one scene that is really intense but other than that, it was an ok movie. They left a lot of unanswered questions.

Bairstow

Watched it and thought it was dumb and badly directed.
The movie doesn't have anything interesting to say about sight, survival, or being open to emotional connections with other people, though it does make feeble attempts to address all three.
It's a bad mashup of the zombie apocalypse genre and Shyamalan's "The Happening" that fails to be half as suspenseful or interesting as "A Quiet Place."

If you're not going to watch "A Quiet Place" just watch this instead.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom