Gay Days

Scuttle

Ok I'm thinking of planning a trip june 3-6, but I know it's during gay days. What is gay days like? Do the gays have flags and all that over the top stuff or what? I know Disney does not advertise it or even acknowledge it, so I am curious to get some insider info.

yensid67

I just think this mentality is kind of silly. There are always gay people at WDW. This is no different. They just often are wearing red shirts. My thought is this doesn't even need explaining to a kid, because it's not something abnormal to see. Not picking on you, because I agre with you and do think kids need to be exposed to all types of diversity. I just wouldn't bother making an age statement. Nothing personal on you :)
Understand...I know you're not picking on me!

Upvote 0

hanwill

My husband and I have three kids.... one year we took the kids and my parents to the MK.... we both wore red shirts.... we had no idea, but the whole thing was so funny.... We also happened to go into the country bear jamboree and we in there during a special event... it was a riot... nothing out of the ordinary happened, but you could tell it was a different energy level. A kid would never notice. we said nothing to our kids about our red shorts, but we just laughed to ourselves....

Upvote 0

yensid67

No matter who you are, if you are open minded enough you will find that Gays are more fun to be around! They know how to have fun, be true to themselves and respect others. When you get them in a Gay Themed resort geared to their demographic, then you will see things you never knew about! LOL!

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
No matter who you are, if you are open minded enough you will find that Gays are more fun to be around! They know how to have fun, be true to themselves and respect others. When you get them in a Gay Themed resort geared to their demographic, then you will see things you never knew about! LOL!
As an open minded straight guy, I have found this to be true.

Upvote 0

heatherhy01

I see spandex on people who shouldn't be wearing it all the time in Disney, add low cut shirts, 2 sizes too small pants with "Juicy" or "sexy" stretched across someone's bottom... not exclusive to gay days.

Though now that I know Drag Queens are involved I would love to go. Gay days sound fun to me and I'm a straight female.

You and me both! I would love to go at that time of year just to enjoy the atmosphere and it sounds like SO MUCH FUN!!!

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

Just a PSA bump to this thread for anyone planning August of next year to note the date change. I was looking through my dates, getting ready to start planning dining, etc. and lo and behold, the dates changed. This is the third year in a row we've gone during Gay Days, and the only tip I have for people is to avoid Magic Kingdom on the big Saturday. The crowds are insane.

No matter who you are, if you are open minded enough you will find that Gays are more fun to be around! They know how to have fun, be true to themselves and respect others.
Generally true, however I've seen a handful of "Butt Pirates of the Caribbean" shirts and a few that are a bit worse. Two things can be true at once. 1) The vast majority of Gay Day participants are respectful of other guests and are there to enjoy the parks. 2) A small subset of Gay Day participants take pride (no pun intended) in being as shocking as possible to suburban soccer moms.

Upvote 0

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Just a PSA bump to this thread for anyone planning August of next year to note the date change. I was looking through my dates, getting ready to start planning dining, etc. and lo and behold, the dates changed. This is the third year in a row we've gone during Gay Days, and the only tip I have for people is to avoid Magic Kingdom on the big Saturday. The crowds are insane.

Generally true, however I've seen a handful of "Butt Pirates of the Caribbean" shirts and a few that are a bit worse. Two things can be true at once. 1) The vast majority of Gay Day participants are respectful of other guests and are there to enjoy the parks. 2) A small subset of Gay Day participants take pride (no pun intended) in being as shocking as possible to suburban soccer moms.

Aren't there now two Gay Days dates because of a split in the organizers?

As far as risque shirts go, I see the heterosexual ones all the time. A guy was wearing one that said, "She likes the D" with the 'D' in the iconic Walt Disney font.

Will no one think of the children being exposed to something so unfunny? It can damage their sense of humor for life!!

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

Aren't there now two Gay Days dates because of a split in the organizers?
My understanding is that it has, in fact, moved to August but that some people are speculating there will still be a crowd that goes in June more out of habit than any official event.

As far as risque shirts go, I see the heterosexual ones all the time. A guy was wearing one that said, "She likes the D" with the 'D' in the iconic Walt Disney font. Will no one think of the children being exposed to something so unfunny? It can damage their sense of humor for life!!
Of course. As I said, I've been to WDW during the last two Gay Days and I'm going again this August. I haven't kept my daughters away and I have no problem with the event, so please drop the mocking tone. However, it's disingenuous when folks like to pretend that the crowd at Gay Days is pure as the wind-driven snow. There are bad apples. Have you ever actually looked at the marketing for the event? It's sexually explicit. I'd have the same reservations visiting during a giant party for heterosexual folks that was marketed with skimpy bikinis, BDSM expos, and sex toy demonstrations. It's not a stretch to assume that people who travel for those kinds of events might not be the folks who are going to be on their best behavior in the Magic Kingdom, regardless of their sexuality.

Upvote 0

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
However, it's disingenuous when folks like to pretend that the crowd at Gay Days is pure as the wind-driven snow. There are bad apples. Have you ever actually looked at the marketing for the event? It's sexually explicit. I'd have the same reservations visiting during a giant party for heterosexual folks that was marketed with skimpy bikinis, BDSM expos, and sex toy demonstrations. It's not a stretch to assume that people who travel for those kinds of events might not be the folks who are going to be on their best behavior in the Magic Kingdom, regardless of their sexuality.

Well, all the explicit stuff is for the off-site hotel and concurrent convention.

As far as skimpiness in dress goes... Spring Break ads come to mind. ;)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom