Gay Day 2005 Crowds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone ever been during Gay Day/Weekend? How crowded are the parks? Is it as crowded as during spring break and Christmas? I don't want to haul the kids all the way to Orlando if the crowds are overwhelming. Thanks.

cherrynegra

If you check out the official site for Gay Days 2005, they've historically expected up to 150,000 people to attend. This year is the 15th anniversary of their gatherings so expect it to be larger than in the past. I seem to remember a post where someone got their schedule and just planned on hitting a park that they weren't scheduling meets to avoid the crowds. They are also planning the main parties at Universal, but I'm not sure what effect that will have to alleviate crowds at WDW. You can find their schedule of events at their website. http://www.gayday.com/default.asp

Upvote 0

Atta83

My parents are going the week after to avoid all the crowds, we went one year while that was happening, but that was like 2-3 years ago. But I was there the past two summers and have seen them grow. So my parents are going to week after which should be ok.

Upvote 0

egionet

I was a CM in Fantasyland last year during Gay Days and it was definitely a little more crowded than the other weekends during the same time period. Certainly no where as close to as crowded during Christmas/spring break/4th of July, but still crowded nevertheless. I do have to say it was by far my most favorite day on my CP. The guests were sooooo much fun and just had a blast acting like little kids all day!

Upvote 0

GaryT977

The schedule this year is different, with the main event, Saturday at the Magic Kingdom, being moved to Sunday. The Saturday event is being held at Islands Of Adventure. The reason for this is that Universal is much more willing to promote a Gay Day event. I guess they don't have that family friendly image to worry about.

This has resulted in a split. Some people are going to ignore the new schedule and go to the Magic Kingdom anyway. Others, like myself, are going to give IOA a try. How this will affect crowds at WDW remains to be seen. Should be an interesting few days, anyway.

Upvote 0

jacksnightmare

Gay day, or days, is the best time of the year to go. We went last year not knowing that it was Gay day but we managed to have one of the best trips ever. Every day they go to a different park and the 3 other parks are empty. We walked onto every ride with little wait. We did happen to go to MK on the day they were there and it was packed right at opening, so as long as you go to a different park you will have that park to yourself.

Upvote 0

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
Kudos to everyone for keeping this thread on topic. Anyone who's been around here for awhile knows how gay day threads usually end up, so I'll be keeping my eye on this :lol: . Keep up the good work and keep it on topic! :wave: Thanks!

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Jacksnightmare is right. I was there with my family last year. MK was a little crowded while the other 3 parks had pretty light crowds.

Upvote 0

fuentesalex

something to keep in mind. the same weekend as gay days is the same weekend as MGM's SWW. So if you want to avoid crowds, on Sat, avoid both MK and MGM. Go to AK or Epcot.

Upvote 0

signerdreams

correct me if i am wrong, but dont ...how can i say this politly...i think gays wear a certain color shirt each year....what color is it this year (my cousin and his family are going down at this time)

Upvote 0

cherrynegra

Yes, the participants are usually encouraged to wear the same colored shirt. The color is red. That's alway been the color as far as I know and I don't think that's going to change this year.

Upvote 0

kal1484

It's the best time to go, personally. All the guests are usually in a good mood, hence the cast members are in good moods. I didn't really notice any incrace in the attendence.

Upvote 0

tk421-sw

cherrynegra said:
Yes, the participants are usually encouraged to wear the same colored shirt. The color is red. That's alway been the color as far as I know and I don't think that's going to change this year.

I was there last year for SWW, (They landed on each other , or maybe the year before...) but anyways, the tv said that if you were wearing a red shirt and felt unconfortable, that they would provide you with another shirt.. Just thought that was interesting. And I was ak MGM so I didn't see much of a differance, though there was a little cross over with SWW and Gay Days.:) It was all fun though.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom