Gaston and LeFou Statue/Fountain

TyrantBoss

Once again Disney caves to the PC and goes Anti-Gun by eliminating the hunting rifle that Gaston originally had slung over his left shoulder.

In the movie he is an avid hunter. He also uses the gun to try to shoot the Beast.
So why change the statue? By changing the statue you minimize the character and give in to anyone you may be afraid to offend.

But if that's the case, why doesn't Disney ban all of the gunfire in the Pirates of the Caribbean ride?
Why don't they get rid of the Shooting Gallery in Frontierland?
And Why don't they stop selling toy muskets in the POC gift shop?
These promoting shooting as well....don't they?

I am also wondering, as I have read descriptions of the inside of Gaston's tavern, that it will be adorned with antlers because, as Gaston said, "I use antlers in all of my decorating".
How did those antlers get there then? Did Gaston hit the deer over the head with a barrel?

Hey Disney....can you give people SOME credit for being able to separate fantasy from fact. Seriously?
Disappointing...and bit sad

Ignohippo

So you expected the statue to be roughly the size of a barge?

Huh? How do you figure? Right now, judging from the construction workers walking right by it, it's life-size. Making it 30% larger wouldn't make it make it huge by any means. It would give it the majesty of Gaston's impressive ego.

Statues like this are generally a bit larger than life.

Ignohippo

I think it's kind of interesting that in the concept art shown in the post, he's holding a gun, but now in the finished statue it's been replaced by a barrel.

That is REALLY ridiculous!!!! They have a shooting gallery in Frontierland for heaven's sakes!!!
(I'd better not give them any ideas. Before you know it, we'll be shooting the animals with barrels.)

MansionGoer13z

Um...I would have expected it to be a bit larger. It looks to be about life-sized. I would have thought it would have been about 30% larger.

After all, someone like Gaston wouldn't want a statue the size of a mere mortal!

Yeah I know what you mean. An egostistical villian like Gaston (and myself, might I add,) would want a hulking statue that was maybe 3x as large as the actual stature and muscle mass. Disney you need to read more deeply into your characters and use it in a better design. But I guess what's done is done. I'm disappointed there is no hunting rifle.

MagicMike

Huh? How do you figure? Right now, judging from the construction workers walking right by it, it's life-size. Making it 30% larger wouldn't make it make it huge by any means. It would give it the majesty of Gaston's impressive ego.

Statues like this are generally a bit larger than life.

I was just making a little joke.

You know, like Gaston's song from Beauty And The Beast. "Now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaaaarge."

Ha! Disney Humor.

MagicMike

Hey Disney....can you give people SOME credit for being able to separate fantasy from fact. Seriously?

Just a thought before we jump head first into the PC debate. Perhaps they scrapped the rifle from the statue simply so it wouldn't so closely resemble the portrait design featured inside Gaston's tavern...
aid220197SMALL.jpg

"And check out this portrait of Gaston, who strives to strike the “perfect” hunting pose – so much so that it’s humorous. This portrait will hold a place of honor as one of the main pieces of artwork in Gaston’s Tavern"

MansionGoer13z

Just a thought before we jump head first into the PC debate. Perhaps they scrapped the rifle from the statue simply so it wouldn't so closely resemble the portrait design featured inside Gaston's tavern...
aid220197SMALL.jpg

"And check out this portrait of Gaston, who strives to strike the “perfect” hunting pose – so much so that it’s humorous. This portrait will hold a place of honor as one of the main pieces of artwork in Gaston’s Tavern"

Works for me. But I still think the statue needs to be bigger.

Ignohippo

aid220197SMALL.jpg

I unfortunately haven't seen the movie in ages, but isn't the statue taken directly from the movie? I doubt they'd change the statue just so it didn't look like the painting (that people may or may not even see).

I wonder if it's because they thought it would be better to add more water effects? I hate to think they'd change it just to be PC (even though that's probably the case).

toolsnspools

Once again Disney caves to the PC and goes Anti-Gun by eliminating the hunting rifle that Gaston originally had slung over his left shoulder.
But if that's the case, why doesn't Disney ban all of the gunfire in the Pirates of the Caribbean ride?

Don't give them any more bad ideas... We used to learn by knowing, understanding, respecting and using tools appropriately. Now we think we're smarter to hide them? There's a generation growing up whose only experience with a weapon is on the game console. When we need to use them again we'll be in serious trouble...

Donald96

In the movie he is an avid hunter. He also uses the gun to try to shoot the Beast.
So why change the statue? By changing the statue you minimize the character and give in to anyone you may be afraid to offend.

These promoting shooting as well....don't they?

I am also wondering, as I have read descriptions of the inside of Gaston's tavern, that it will be adorned with antlers because, as Gaston said, "I use antlers in all of my decorating".
How did those antlers get there then? Did Gaston hit the deer over the head with a barrel?

Actually he shoots the Beast with a bow and arrow, as I hate to be a "beast" but you never know when Disney Trivia might strike and I'd hate for you to be wrong. ;)

Cmdr_Crimson

I also noticed the angle that Lefou's positon is quite....um...Disturbing as he looks like he's looking at um....well, watch the video again and see what I'm talking about...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I unfortunately haven't seen the movie in ages, but isn't the statue taken directly from the movie? I doubt they'd change the statue just so it didn't look like the painting (that people may or may not even see).

I wonder if it's because they thought it would be better to add more water effects? I hate to think they'd change it just to be PC (even though that's probably the case).

Is the statue even in the movie? I just searched through the movie and haven't been able to find it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom