Garden Grill - what's the consensus?

rufio

Original Poster
Right now I have reservations this December for Garden Grill. My fiance chose it for the two of us plus his twin brother and his girlfriend. Apparently they used to love Chip & Dale as kids, so he thinks it'll be fun.

However, I've recently gotten some intel that the food there is straight up nasty. I've read mixed reviews. So what's the consensus on Garden Grill? Is the food good? Worth the trip? We'll be in Epcot that night anyway.

Thanks!

Jo DeVil

Hi we have never been big fans of the food but to get Chip and Dale all to ourselves, is the attraction. We do the DDDP plan so the value for money isn't the issue. The DDDP has spoilt us as we do all the character meals DS 8 now does not queue for autographs, so if we want Chip and Dale we have to go there. I liked the rumours that they might being trying the character lunch, which would fit in better for us, but I haven't heard any more for a couple of months. So you have to work out the balance how important is seeing Chip and Dale (Pluto and Farmer Mickey) to having a fantastic meal? Good luck working it out. TTFN Jo

Pepe195

We always go to the Garden Grill (except for last year when we just didn't have time) and in all the years never had a bad meal there yet!

Alison1975

Right now I have reservations this December for Garden Grill. My fiance chose it for the two of us plus his twin brother and his girlfriend. Apparently they used to love Chip & Dale as kids, so he thinks it'll be fun.

However, I've recently gotten some intel that the food there is straight up nasty. I've read mixed reviews. So what's the consensus on Garden Grill? Is the food good? Worth the trip? We'll be in Epcot that night anyway.

Thanks!

Ate there a few weeks ago..one of our top 3 meals.. characters are great..service was good and the food was yummy ( and unlimited)..

Sharired

I've always heard mixed reviews, but we are trying it anyway during our trip in December. We love Living with the Land and every time we ride it, we say we need to try Garden Grill!

DizneyPryncess

We love Garden Grill! Have been there 3 times, and haven't had a bad meal yet. We've had great customer service as well. Going again in a few weeks! =)

crispy

We ate dinner there for the first time in October. I thought the food was very good especially the turkey, dressing, and potatoes. Everything tasted very fresh. The service and the character interaction was stellar. It ended up being our favorite meal of the trip.

Does anyone remember when the did the Ice Cream Social there? That was so much fun!

Mrs.Toad

That is why I have never gone there. Very good or very bad reviews, consistently over many years.

Is the steak still flank? My biggest issues are I am not a big turkey person. Once a year on Thanksgiving and otherwise I don't have a real hankering for it. And I am a medium rare person, and flank can be tricky, so I figure it may just come out on any given day cooked one way to suit everyone, and it is a limited menu there so it is probably prepared in bulk, (could be wrong though) and I can't get with that. I am picky with steaks, burgers, etc. Anything done more than medium and I can't get it down. So I figure it would not be worth it for me. But I may have to wave the white flag one day if he wants to go, because my DH is the opposite and loves everything well done.

Rob562

We ate there for dinner on our arrival day last June.
We were seated quickly after checking in, and the restaurant wasn't full. Of the three meats, the turkey was hands-down the favorite. I found the other two tied for second plane, though my friend wasn't a fan of the mahi-mahi (he's not much of a seafood man, though).

Service was great, except at the end when it came time to get the check, and then to pay the bill. Our server disappeared for quite a while, and we were hoping to get out into the park in time for Illuminations. As it was, we were only just able to leave the restaurant and rush downstairs to pop in the line for Soarin right before they closed it off at 9:00.

-Rob

Phonedave

That is why I have never gone there. Very good or very bad reviews, consistently over many years.

Is the steak still flank? My biggest issues are I am not a big turkey person. Once a year on Thanksgiving and otherwise I don't have a real hankering for it. And I am a medium rare person, and flank can be tricky, so I figure it may just come out on any given day cooked one way to suit everyone, and it is a limited menu there so it is probably prepared in bulk, (could be wrong though) and I can't get with that. I am picky with steaks, burgers, etc. Anything done more than medium and I can't get it down. So I figure it would not be worth it for me. But I may have to wave the white flag one day if he wants to go, because my DH is the opposite and loves everything well done.

You about nailed it. The GG, and the flank steak in particular, is my daughters favorite food - when it is "on". When it is off, she gets a very disappointed look. :(

I have eaten at GG about a half dozen times. It was never downright bad, but on some nights it is was just not up to where it used to be. It seems to be hit or miss. I make the steak at home (the recipie is in the sticky thread) because, as I said, my daughter loves it. It does have to marinate for at least 24 hours, and it really should not be cooked beyond meduium (medium rare is better). I can see on certain nights that they are pull the steaks out early and over cooking them a touch. You can ask for a peice that is not as well done (I have) and sometimes they have it. I normaly just ask for "as rare as possible". We continue to go, because it is not a bad place, and the kids like it, but it does have its ups and downs.

-dave

Mrs.Toad

That's it. Flank cooking temp can make or break it if you love it med. rare. Gotta check out your recipe.
Another thing that has me apprehensive is that I like a way I do flank, and why order it out if I am setting myself up for disappointment?

erstwo

We love the Garden Grill. I'll see if I can find some pictures in my old trip reports and post the links (all of my photos past 2012 were recently moved to some external drive by my husband and I find it terribly difficult to navigate/ find pictures on there. Don't want you to think that I'm promoting my old trip reports. :) Just thought some pictures might be helpful. :D)
Here's one (scroll to the bottom of the page): http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...friends-fun-and-disney-at-forty.803260/page-3

lebeau

Most under-rated character meal on property. Don't miss it!

I have heard some complaints about the food. But when we went, the food was quite good. Not the star of the meal. But good and plenty of it. Better than a typical buffet.

The reason to go is the great character interactions (you'll get lots of face time with the characters) and the fun atmosphere. As a bonus, the food is quite good.

Disney2010JoeyChipGG.jpg

Disney2010JoeyPlutoGG.jpg

G00fyDad

We go every trip. We love the atmosphere and food. Chip, Dale, Mickey, etc. are really fun to have around too, but the food is great. Especially the boneless catfish. :p

coachwnh

wouldnt say the food was nasty. its by no means a must do for us, but again, i wouldnt use the word nasty. we had nice dinners there. the place itself is cool. the characters have always been great. But the food is not the best in WDW. I wouldnt say its the worst either. dont let others influence you. if your boyfriend wants to try it out, then you guys should go with an open mind and enjoy yourself. im sure youll have a great time!

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Most under-rated character meal on property. Don't miss it!

I have heard some complaints about the food. But when we went, the food was quite good. Not the star of the meal. But good and plenty of it. Better than a typical buffet.

The reason to go is the great character interactions (you'll get lots of face time with the characters) and the fun atmosphere. As a bonus, the food is quite good.

Disney2010JoeyChipGG.jpg

Disney2010JoeyPlutoGG.jpg
Agree 100% My (teenage) kids (and me) had just as much fun as labeau's little one. If your friends are Chip and Dale fans then it's a no brainer.
I have to say other than the comment about the flank steak needing to be medium rare (which ours always has been) I really don't get the negative reviews about the food.
Everything is always fresh and delicious here, and there desserts (last time was a blueberry pie of some sort) are always delicious and topped with their home made whipping cream mmmm!!

lebeau

Everything is always fresh and delicious here, and there desserts (last time was a blueberry pie of some sort) are always delicious and topped with their home made whipping cream mmmm!!

We had some kind of berry cobbler. And it was killer. I was stuffed, but it was so good I pushed myself to the limit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom