Game Systems Question ???????

maggiegrace1

Original Poster
Ok, I am sure some of you have already seen my exciting post in Chit Chat about how I just got a WII!!!:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

We have Original Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64..how many they have..we have them all..and we have gamecube.

I also have an Xbox360 that we have not even opened yet and Drew was going to get some games for it this weekend and then we got a WII!:sohappy::sohappy: as a gift from my brother..:D

My question is..should we even keep the 360 now that we have the WII?

What are the major differences and what are the pros and cons of keeping the 360 along with the wii?

Thanks in advance..:wave:

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
And do you have them all hooked up to the same TV? :lol:

I think you will find the two systems fairly different both from an operational standpoint and from the type of gaming available.

XBox 360 has a very big library of games including exclusive Halo and Gears of War access. Many geared more to adults and teen boys. It is currently the frontrunner, so offers the potential for the most new games in the near future. (PS 3 is competing heavily)

The Wii of course has the unique controller system which makes it a very different experience. You have the unique games that only work with Wii, like fit, bowling etc. Wii also seems to take a much more family/group oriented approach with softer games and more interaction. (as compared to lots more blood and guts and mayhem with XBox games). Also has the Mario franchise.

So they are different, pretty much a matter of taste. My sons have little interest in Wii, but do enjoy bowling and tennis when visiting. They'd rather blow things up, kill mutants and zombies and race real vehicles rather than Mario cart.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
By all means keep the Xbox360 but to bring it to it's fullest potential you will need an HD TV. The Wii is really aimed at casual gamers that are not into high end graphics, first person shooters etc. It is the perfect party game system but it can not hold a candle to the 360 or PS3 when it comes to high end, high resolution gaming. I have both systems and could not even imagine giving up my 360 for my Wii.

dxwwf3

You can't really compare the 360 and the Wii if you're serious about video games. The PS3/360 is in a whole other league. The success of the Wii is mind blowing for many reasons and you have to give Nintendo credit. But I don't have one, won't have one, and don't want one.

maggiegrace1

Original Poster
And do you have them all hooked up to the same TV? :lol:

I think you will find the two systems fairly different both from an operational standpoint and from the type of gaming available.

XBox 360 has a very big library of games including exclusive Halo and Gears of War access. Many geared more to adults and teen boys. It is currently the frontrunner, so offers the potential for the most new games in the near future. (PS 3 is competing heavily)

The Wii of course has the unique controller system which makes it a very different experience. You have the unique games that only work with Wii, like fit, bowling etc. Wii also seems to take a much more family/group oriented approach with softer games and more interaction. (as compared to lots more blood and guts and mayhem with XBox games). Also has the Mario franchise.

So they are different, pretty much a matter of taste. My sons have little interest in Wii, but do enjoy bowling and tennis when visiting. They'd rather blow things up, kill mutants and zombies and race real vehicles rather than Mario cart.

By all means keep the Xbox360 but to bring it to it's fullest potential you will need an HD TV. The Wii is really aimed at casual gamers that are not into high end graphics, first person shooters etc. It is the perfect party game system but it can not hold a candle to the 360 or PS3 when it comes to high end, high resolution gaming. I have both systems and could not even imagine giving up my 360 for my Wii.

You can't really compare the 360 and the Wii if you're serious about video games. The PS3/360 is in a whole other league. The success of the Wii is mind blowing for many reasons and you have to give Nintendo credit. But I don't have one, won't have one, and don't want one.
Ok..I am more into the Wii game thing..and it seems like Drew will like the guy, shooting, bloody, beating things up kind of games it seems like are Xbox360 games..

Thanks all..:).I think we will keep it and hook the 360 up in or bedroom and keep the wii in the living room..

Oh and No, Dave..they are not all hooked up to the same TV..:lol:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Ok..I am more into the Wii game thing..and it seems like Drew will like the guy, shooting, bloody, beating things up kind of games it seems like are Xbox360 games..

Thanks all..:).I think we will keep it and hook the 360 up in or bedroom and keep the wii in the living room..

Oh and No, Dave..they are not all hooked up to the same TV..:lol:
Get him Half Life 2: The orange box. This game has been out for for a while and can be had easily for $20-30. Half Life 2 is incredibly good with a deep story and incredible game play. The game also contains the game Portal which is a puzzle game done like a first person shooter. For the money it is IMHO one of the best game packages ever released for the Xbox 360.

erasure fan1

I agree, the 360 and the wii are on opposite ends of the spectrum. We bought a wii for my 7yr old daughter for xmas and after a lot of play time, I will rank it as the worst system I have ever played. That may seem harsh but I am a serious gamer. I think its great that nintendo is getting people who never had an intrest in games and younger kids into gaming as there hasnt been anything for them.

maggiegrace1

Original Poster
Get him Half Life 2: The orange box. This game has been out for for a while and can be had easily for $20-30. Half Life 2 is incredibly good with a deep story and incredible game play. The game also contains the game Portal which is a puzzle game done like a first person shooter. For the money it is IMHO one of the best game packages ever released for the Xbox 360.
I will look into that..Thanks..:)

My brother is here this week so they are going to go look for games..we have not used it yet as we have been playing the Wii..but I think he will start this weekend..

Salty-

Maggiegrace - You describe my current gaming situation perfectly. I too own a Xbox 360 (bought in 2005) and a Wii (bought in early 2008). I love them both because while still video game systems, they are still quite different from each other.

I have a 5 year old daughter and she loves both systems. Right now, she actually PLAYS the Wii more than I do. But she loves to WATCH me play the 360 and all the extras that the 360 can do.

I am a big video gamer (although my time in front of a system is really only a few hours a week), so please excuse me upfront if I get too long winded in my response.:eek:

I have had the Xbox 360 longer so my game library is bigger than my Wii software library, but I have been careful to choose good games for both. There are a bunch of great games for both systems, but there are also some junk games for both. I have noticed that as the Wii becomes more and more popular, the Wii market has been flooded by a bunch of below-average games. Just ask a few questions to friends and family about games that you enjoy and good word of mouth will help you find good games.

The Wii is EXTREMELY easy to pick up and play. The controls of waving the remote around (if correctly implemented in a game) are very natural. This is the Wiis biggest strength and weakness. The controls can be very fun to wave around, but I find there are times that I just want to PLAY a game, not wave my arms around moving a character.
My recommendations for the Wii that can be fun for you as a parent and your kids could enjoy would be Mario Kart Wii, Boom Blox, de Blob, and Rayman Raving Rabbids(1st one) -a game iself with a bunch of crazy mini-games.
My daughter (being the Disney fan she is) enjoys Disney Princess Enchanted Enchanted Journey (adventure game)and Hannah Montana: Spotlight World Tour (music rhythm game). Both of these games I got cheap during Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals.

The Xbox 360 is a different system altogether. Like Master Yoda has said, if you take advantage of an HDTV, this thing is gorgeous. There are tons of games for the system (it has been on the market since 2005) and the online features for the Xbox 360 are astounding. You can connect the Xbox 360 to the internet to download games, TV shows, and even rent movies. I like to buy classic games from the 80's (Pacman, Galaga, etc) through a service called Xbox Live Arcade. Games on this service can be purchased aprox. in the $5 to $10 range. They are yours to keep after that. My daughter LOVES the Disney show Phineas and Ferb. For a $1 or $2 I can buy individual episodes (commercial free) and they also are mine to keep. You will also find shows like Lost, The Office, 30 Rock, etc that you can buy. You can also rent movies via Netflix service. There are also more geeky things you can do with it, but I've gone on way too long.

You have the best of both worlds in gaming systems. Enjoy! Ask us questions here. There have been some great responses here already. Ask friends and family what they like to play. Games for the parents, games for the kids, etc. :wave:

baz212

One game that would be good on the Wii for your daughter would be Cosmic Family. It didn't get great reviews but, Early childhood games for consoles rarely do because of the age and life experiences of most video game reviewers. My son loved the game and could pick it up and successfully play on easy shortly before he turned 3.

maggiegrace1

Original Poster
Maggiegrace - You describe my current gaming situation perfectly. I too own a Xbox 360 (bought in 2005) and a Wii (bought in early 2008). I love them both because while still video game systems, they are still quite different from each other.

I have a 5 year old daughter and she loves both systems. Right now, she actually PLAYS the Wii more than I do. But she loves to WATCH me play the 360 and all the extras that the 360 can do.

I am a big video gamer (although my time in front of a system is really only a few hours a week), so please excuse me upfront if I get too long winded in my response.:eek:

I have had the Xbox 360 longer so my game library is bigger than my Wii software library, but I have been careful to choose good games for both. There are a bunch of great games for both systems, but there are also some junk games for both. I have noticed that as the Wii becomes more and more popular, the Wii market has been flooded by a bunch of below-average games. Just ask a few questions to friends and family about games that you enjoy and good word of mouth will help you find good games.

The Wii is EXTREMELY easy to pick up and play. The controls of waving the remote around (if correctly implemented in a game) are very natural. This is the Wiis biggest strength and weakness. The controls can be very fun to wave around, but I find there are times that I just want to PLAY a game, not wave my arms around moving a character.
My recommendations for the Wii that can be fun for you as a parent and your kids could enjoy would be Mario Kart Wii, Boom Blox, de Blob, and Rayman Raving Rabbids(1st one) -a game iself with a bunch of crazy mini-games.
My daughter (being the Disney fan she is) enjoys Disney Princess Enchanted Enchanted Journey (adventure game)and Hannah Montana: Spotlight World Tour (music rhythm game). Both of these games I got cheap during Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals.

The Xbox 360 is a different system altogether. Like Master Yoda has said, if you take advantage of an HDTV, this thing is gorgeous. There are tons of games for the system (it has been on the market since 2005) and the online features for the Xbox 360 are astounding. You can connect the Xbox 360 to the internet to download games, TV shows, and even rent movies. I like to buy classic games from the 80's (Pacman, Galaga, etc) through a service called Xbox Live Arcade. Games on this service can be purchased aprox. in the $5 to $10 range. They are yours to keep after that. My daughter LOVES the Disney show Phineas and Ferb. For a $1 or $2 I can buy individual episodes (commercial free) and they also are mine to keep. You will also find shows like Lost, The Office, 30 Rock, etc that you can buy. You can also rent movies via Netflix service. There are also more geeky things you can do with it, but I've gone on way too long.

You have the best of both worlds in gaming systems. Enjoy! Ask us questions here. There have been some great responses here already. Ask friends and family what they like to play. Games for the parents, games for the kids, etc. :wave:
Thanks so much!

He has been playing some game his friend lent him and he loves it..I will need to get the name as I do not remember...He is also liking the Madden Football one.

We still have not investigated the whole system but I will and look into the internet thing for it.

As for the Wii we LOVE it..and have competitions all the time..I want the Raving Rapids one and will probably get that this weekend..:)

Now as soon as I get a Wii fit I will be set!:D
One game that would be good on the Wii for your daughter would be Cosmic Family. It didn't get great reviews but, Early childhood games for consoles rarely do because of the age and life experiences of most video game reviewers. My son loved the game and could pick it up and successfully play on easy shortly before he turned 3.
Thanks..I will look into that one.:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom