Game of Thrones - Season 5

CaptainAmerica

Not so sure it is. On the making of part after the episode the writer says - "When George first told us about this....." I'm thinking we just saw something that will happen in the next book.

We need to remember that Stannis is a religious fanatic. He has been sacrificing people since we first saw him in season 2. It is a horrible scene but Stannis just has seemed good up until now when compared with all the other people we have been exposed too, plus the fact he hasn't killed anyone the audience has cared about. What do you think would have happened to Gendry if he hadn't escaped? Or any other of Robert's offspring he could have found? He also had no problem killing his own brother because he felt it was the right thing. What ever Stannis feels is right and honorable he does.
Stannis absolutely is not a religious fanatic. He expresses skepticism about the power of the Red God all the time. He goes along with it, because Mel has him thinking he's fulfilling some prophecy, but his wife is the fanatic. Also, he should know with certainty that Mel's "king's blood" powers are sketchy at best by the fact that Balon Greyjoy is still styling himself king over in Pyke. Mel's leeches were supposed to kill him.

Stannis' honor is a joke, IMO. Anyone that could kill his own brother is a POS.
His brother assembled an army, committed treason, and tried to usurp Stannis' throne.

Here is the exact quote - "When George first told us about this, it was one of those times that I remember looking at Dan, and going, god, that's so horrible, and it's so good, because it all comes together in a story sense.
Stannis is nowhere near Shireen in the books. She'll burn for sure, but it will be Mel with no consent from Stannis. Mel will burn Shireen to

save Jon Snow, awaking dragons from stone.

In a released excerpt from Winds:

"It may be that we shall lose this battle," the king said grimly. "In Braavos you may hear that I am dead. It may even be true. You shall find my sellswords nonetheless."
The knight hesitated. "Your Grace, if you are dead — "
" — you will avenge my death, and seat my daughter on the Iron Throne. Or die in the attempt."

Stannis is planning on making Shireen queen, not killing her.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Stannis absolutely is not a religious fanatic. He expresses skepticism about the power of the Red God all the time. He goes along with it, because Mel has him thinking he's fulfilling some prophecy, but his wife is the fanatic. Also, he should know with certainty that Mel's "king's blood" powers are sketchy at best by the fact that Balon Greyjoy is still styling himself king over in Pyke. Mel's leeches were supposed to kill him.

His brother assembled an army, committed treason, and tried to usurp Stannis' throne.

Stannis is nowhere near Shireen in the books. She'll burn for sure, but it will be Mel with no consent from Stannis. Mel will burn Shireen to

save Jon Snow, awaking dragons from stone.

In a released excerpt from Winds:

"It may be that we shall lose this battle," the king said grimly. "In Braavos you may hear that I am dead. It may even be true. You shall find my sellswords nonetheless."
The knight hesitated. "Your Grace, if you are dead — "
" — you will avenge my death, and seat my daughter on the Iron Throne. Or die in the attempt."

Stannis is planning on making Shireen queen, not killing her.

We don't know what happens after the battle. It's a big long book. Perhaps in defeat he finally breaks down and sacrifices his daughter. Maybe Mel does it without consent. We will have to wait and see.

Maybe Stannis isn't a religious fanatic but he is allowing Mel to burn random people so he can gain power. He's not some just and noble king.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/03/game-thrones-dinklage-clarke-interview

Interview with Dinklege and Clark about working together - I thought it was cute they were nervous -

"She’s commanded armies and dragons. She’s sparred with slave masters and horse lords. But what Emilia Clarke had to do on the Game of Thrones set last October left her unusually nervous: Sit and have a polite conversation. Sound easy? Not when the other actor is Clarke’s Emmy-winning co-star Peter Dinklage. This was the first time in the show’s five-year history that the two stars have ever shared a scene. Watching their iconic meetup was like witnessing a charmingly awkward first date as the two actors briefly struggled to find their conversational rhythm—complete with flubbed lines, accidentally spilled cups, and more than the usual number of takes as they worked their way through several pages of intricately composed dialogue."

Much more in the article.....

AEfx

Has anyone seen the leaked screenshots from episode 10? I won't post them here but one of them is a pretty major spoiler for TWOW.

If it's what I think you are talking about - shots from it have been out since they filmed it last year. The one that takes place in...public, right?

In any case, Sunday is going to be amazing. A lot of characters like Stannis last week are going to start coming to their natural character arc ends - things that seem so shocking but in retrospect you realize was right there all along. I was just explaining this to someone else privately, but the Stannis thing is a great example of the "hook" of GoT - they took you on a pretty typical journey (that of someone "sacrificing all they held dear", just like was predicted in S2 by Melisandre, playing the mystical lottery until he desperately bet it all) but at the end...everything told you that the scene with Shireen ended with one of her parents pulling her down. They didn't. Welcome to GoT.

There are at least 6-7 big things coming to a head, it's going to be like a Shireen every eight or ten minutes. :) Not necessarily deaths - though I'm sure there will be a few - but just shocking turns of events and character moments. What's fun is that about half of them are only things Sullied probably would know are going to happen, but the other half it's really up in the air because of the "butterfly ripple" effect of some of the changes. While all the important pieces will end up in the same spaces in the end, it's actually kind of fun having some of them a mystery.

In any case, I'm pretty excited. Even if I end up being totally off about the list, I'll still have a great time I am sure. (Jmm, maybe this weekend it would be fun to write down predictions and put them in a (spoiler) tag like predicting awards shows LOL - and see what they look like the next morning).

I can say right now, I would lay odds that I know the final camera transition effect that will be used this season...

Fade...to...white.

AEfx

We don't know what happens after the battle. It's a big long book. Perhaps in defeat he finally breaks down and sacrifices his daughter. Maybe Mel does it without consent. We will have to wait and see.

Maybe Stannis isn't a religious fanatic but he is allowing Mel to burn random people so he can gain power. He's not some just and noble king.

What's funny is that GRRM hasn't even written it yet - like, he hasn't actually put the scene that will be in the book on paper yet. He said that at his Blog the other day, so there literally is no one in the world yet who can know what's going on that page but GRRM - and even probably he doesn't (aside from whatever detail he provided to the producers).

And no matter what he ends up writing - if it goes with the show or a different direction - people are going to argue about it until the end of time because even when people can read it for themselves, those who don't like however it goes will say he was influenced by the show - either to do the same, or that he just needed to be different so he didn't.

In any case, silly to debate that part.

Obviously, though, this has been the arc of Stannis on this show. It began in S2, was predicted in S3, and S4, and this whole season has directly been building up to it. This is the journey of a man who everyone agrees didn't and still doesn't "believe" in the Red God, in his heart, but treats it like a cosmic vending machine that he appears to be granting his wishes. Like any gambler, he kept betting more and more until in desperation he "was all in" - and the moment he did, he wished he was up there himself.

The actor did such a fine job this whole time in making this obviously there behind his words as the inevitability, but without telegraphing it completely like he's Littlefinger (though that works for him in his own way as well, LOL). But if folks go back and re-watch the history of Stannis through new eyes, I think they will see a much different character than they may have seen the first time around. Again, that's Game of Thrones.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
What's funny is that GRRM hasn't even written it yet - like, he hasn't actually put the scene that will be in the book on paper yet. He said that at his Blog the other day, so there literally is no one in the world yet who can know what's going on that page but GRRM - and even probably he doesn't (aside from whatever detail he provided to the producers).

And no matter what he ends up writing - if it goes with the show or a different direction - people are going to argue about it until the end of time because even when people can read it for themselves, those who don't like however it goes will say he was influenced by the show - either to do the same, or that he just needed to be different so he didn't.

In any case, silly to debate that part.

Obviously, though, this has been the arc of Stannis on this show. It began in S2, was predicted in S3, and S4, and this whole season has directly been building up to it. This is the journey of a man who everyone agrees didn't and still doesn't "believe" in the Red God, in his heart, but treats it like a cosmic vending machine that he appears to be granting his wishes. Like any gambler, he kept betting more and more until in desperation he "was all in" - and the moment he did, he wished he was up there himself.

The actor did such a fine job this whole time in making this obviously there behind his words as the inevitability, but without telegraphing it completely like he's Littlefinger (though that works for him in his own way as well, LOL). But if folks go back and re-watch the history of Stannis through new eyes, I think they will see a much different character than they may have seen the first time around. Again, that's Game of Thrones.
I was reading an article where the author had gone back and rewatched the scene earlier this season where Stannis tells his daughter the story of how she got greyscale. If you rewatch it - everything he says about his daughter could be taken as a loving father or a man who did his duty. At the end the big hug. Stannis does not hug her. She hugs him and he just stands there.

CaptainAmerica

If it's what I think you are talking about - shots from it have been out since they filmed it last year. The one that takes place in...public, right?
No, much farther north than that scene. It concerns our Lord Commander and seems to answer the question that even book readers haven't had answered for us.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
No, much farther north than that scene. It concerns our Lord Commander and seems to answer the question that even book readers haven't had answered for us.

I REALLY thought the absence of Lady Stoneheart meant they would be altering Jon's story. Apparently not. Color me disappointed.

AEfx

I think Sansa will be LSH in the show.

I agree. That's a distinct possibility.

And that's why when folks get all freaked out about some changes ("unnecessary" drives me nuts - how do we know until it's over what was and wasn't necessary LOL) - let's say that does happen - it could have always been the end result anyway. Like, LSH from the books might pass it on to Sansa - this could just be cutting through that. Or it could be because Sansa is a much younger actress and they are already thinking spinoff. Who knows really.

But again, I do agree - that is a very firm possibility.

AEfx

I was reading an article where the author had gone back and rewatched the scene earlier this season where Stannis tells his daughter the story of how she got greyscale. If you rewatch it - everything he says about his daughter could be taken as a loving father or a man who did his duty. At the end the big hug. Stannis does not hug her. She hugs him and he just stands there.

Exactly. People I think that were shocked and thought it was out of character were taking everything he did/said at face value. I saw it as this huge internal struggle he was having. I honestly don't think he ever thought it would come down to it, trying to stave it off even though part of him knew it was inevitable. It was complex, emotional inner-work going on there - ironic because of his 'stoicism' - but then again - actually not so much - a lot of folks who appear stone on the outside actually do so because they are so highly emotional/conflicted inside.

Ah. Got ya. I just went and looked - looks legit to me, and that would actually be pretty hilarious for the opposite reasons the Stannis stuff is. That would absolutely confirm a fan-held wish/theory folks would be overjoyed about.

Interesting. Even more excited now. And actually it makes me stand even more by my (spoiler) marked prediction a few posts back.

Gosh, tomorrow can't come soon enough...but of course then it's 9.5 months till we get any more....GRRR, ARGHH! LOL. Oh well, at least pokey-mc-slowpoke supposedly will have another book out before then so we won't be totally dry.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
up yours GoT. You took the worst of Martins story telling and rammed it down our throats. Thought you were better then that.

OSUgirl77

Original Poster
That sucked. I can't believe we have to wait almost a year after that. I also can't believe I took time away from basketball to watch that...

At least I have the books to catch up on in the mean time. Thanks again for the idea @RandomPrincess, I've already gotten the first audio book. Hopefully I can get through them all before the next book comes out, whenever that's going to be. I really should've just read them all in the first place.

Last edited:

ProfSavage

Mel is at the Wall maybe she will save John!

Right! Remember, red priest/priestess of R'hllor can bring people back from the dead (kind of). Back in Season 3, they really hung a lantern on the fact that Thanos of Myr had brought back Lord Dondarrion several times. Since the *other* character that is brought back (kind of) in the books has been removed from the show, there seems to be no other reason to have all that exposition unless it'll be used later...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom