Game of Throne Creators working on New Star Wars Films

Princess Leia

I think the two articles I posted today make the same thing apparent: they don't really get Star Wars and they're scrambling a bit with the spin.

Abrams opening his mouth looks bad.
Concentrate on the story and the mess you started, Bub...

As far as D&D...they went more provocative as a way to sell the product...and it worked. Thousands of pages of source material never works translated directly to screen play.

They don't have to do that with Star Wars. What I like about them is how they intelligently wrote the dialogue and shot the nuance of the characters...Tyrian, Jamie, Jorah, varys, oberyn, etc...
That is really needed here...they can't navigate the cannon with their corporate goals...so we need at least some memorable character performances.
Except Jaime unnecessarily went through development hell for no reason (other than D&D wanting him back with Cersei), and I think some of Tyrion’s great story from the books was also lost #JusticeForTysha

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Except Jaime unnecessarily went through development hell for no reason (other than D&D wanting him back with Cersei), and I think some of Tyrion’s great story from the books was also lost #JusticeForTysha

I think of it in these terms:

The hunt for red October and patriot games were basically short stories (300 pages) compared to tom Clancys mammoth techno thrillers...like Sum Of all fears and clear present danger

Which ones made good movies?

The point is you can't condense long prose that effectively into screen.

No doubt the GOT characters were deeper in the books...but what they've shot has been mostly memorable and effective...right actors and good scenes.

Star Wars currently has no memorable characters on any depth level. I guess I give driver and Ridley partial credit...the rest are paper thin.

Last edited:

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Surprised no one posted that this isn't happening now

Darkprime

Its been talked about in the main Episode IX thread.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Let’s play a game.

Let’s pretend that Disney in fact tried to replace all LFL management in 2018 after the last Jedi slit into their franchise appeal that they tracked to mean the decline of sales of ALL Star Wars product and the flop of Solo.

And let’s pretend that anyone they asked said no. Which makes a ton of sense given the situation in Hollywood.

And let’s pretend that every single person that watched game of thrones agreed that it was terrible...and ultimately the executives couldn’t come up with anything decent on their own.

So does that mean that potentially...this was a inevitable decision based on massive failure on BOTH sides?? Perhaps?

erasure fan1

Let’s play a game.

Let’s pretend that Disney in fact tried to replace all LFL management in 2018 after the last Jedi slit into their franchise appeal that they tracked to mean the decline of sales of ALL Star Wars product and the flop of Solo.

And let’s pretend that anyone they asked said no. Which makes a ton of sense given the situation in Hollywood.

And let’s pretend that every single person that watched game of thrones agreed that it was terrible...and ultimately the executives couldn’t come up with anything decent on their own.

So does that mean that potentially...this was a inevitable decision based on massive failure on BOTH sides?? Perhaps?
I'd say so. I personally believe this is all just Disney wiping the slate for the next person. I would bet that someone new coming in wouldn't want people as devisive as Dan and Dave are now anyway. So cut bait now, before you get too far into it, and save at least a little face.

Mouse Trap

Let’s play a game.

What's this "situation in Hollywood"?

Mouse Trap

I'd say so. I personally believe this is all just Disney wiping the slate for the next person. I would bet that someone new coming in wouldn't want people as devisive as Dan and Dave are now anyway. So cut bait now, before you get too far into it, and save at least a little face.

Their departure has a bit more to do with the $150+ million deal they got with Netflix than their creative issues. But the later was certainly a factor as well.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Their departure has a bit more to do with the $150+ million deal they got with Netflix than their creative issues. But the later was certainly a factor as well.
Kinda like abrams taking that $500 mil deal with warner earlier this year...perhaps knowing that his stock is about to fall?

Mouse Trap

Kinda like abrams taking that $500 mil deal with warner earlier this year...perhaps knowing that his stock is about to fall?

Why wouldn't he take that deal? It's massive for a producer (and his company) to get that kind of freedom and money. It has nothing to do with his "stock about to fall" - which I don't know of any evidence to support that claim. He'll be able to make almost whatever he wants at Warner for years to come.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not the same thing. Abrams has a major production company that will handle most of the day-to-day in this deal, not specifically Abrams himself.
Financial concerns of his production company is not his concern?

In Hollywood...kinda like his mentor Spielberg who spawn the current clueless chief of sensitivity at Lucasfilm?

As Dr. Evil would say: “....riiiiggghhhttt”

Disclaimer: I think abrams is involved in Star Wars for the money in the first place. It was his path to billionaire. Why would a 50 year old “diehard” Star Wars fan proceed to let Disney do a BAD reboot if it wasn’t just about the residuals?

It never made any sense.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Why wouldn't he take that deal? It's massive for a producer (and his company) to get that kind of freedom and money. It has nothing to do with his "stock about to fall" - which I don't know of any evidence to support that claim. He'll be able to make almost whatever he wants at Warner for years to come.

I don’t disagree with you there...but (hypothesis) wouldn’t being the head of LFL - as he was rumored to be offered in the summer of 2018 - be more lucrative longterm? A lot less stress if you have the bank of the mouse behind you, no?

Well maybe...maybe not.

I think the timing is curious. If you were making this “amazing” Star Wars franchise for Disney...wouldn’t you wait till you spew your “triumphant” final chapter before you sold yourself?

Or maybe the rumors or true and he took it before the public knew what was happening...charge of the light brigade on a spaceship flying around after being frozen.

You know: lord of the rings combined with captain America combined with top gun??

Mouse Trap

I don’t disagree with you there...but (hypothesis) wouldn’t being the head of LFL - as he was rumored to be offered in the summer of 2018 - be more lucrative longterm? A lot less stress if you have the bank of the mouse behind you, no?

No. Not nearly as lucrative or providing of the same amount of creative freedom. He leads his own quite large and very respected production company. Zero reason he'd take that job.

I think the timing is curious. If you were making this “amazing” Star Wars franchise for Disney...wouldn’t you wait till you spew your “triumphant” final chapter before you sold yourself?

Still no. That's not how the industry works. It's not professional sports where you "hold out" for a better contract. JJ Abrams directed and produced the #1 all-time domestic film and #4 all-time worldwide film at the box office. There is no more upside for him and he fetched a deal that very much represents that.

Everything you're saying is clearly driven by some vendetta against Dis/LF and think (hoping) that JJ is approaching his downfall because he was involved with Star Wars.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Everything you're saying is clearly driven by some vendetta against Dis/LF and think (hoping) that JJ is approaching his downfall because he was involved with Star Wars.
The record will speak for itself...in the longterm.

That’s Star Wars. That’s always been Star Wars. Dis/LF and JJ...and any other acronym you want. The die is cast.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom