Game of Throne Creators working on New Star Wars Films

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
http://www.starwars.com/news/game-o...e-and-produce-a-new-series-of-star-wars-films

David Benioff and D.B. Weiss are going from Winterfell to a galaxy far, far away.
It was announced today that Benioff and Weiss, creators of the smash-hit, Emmy Award-winning television series Game of Thrones, will write and produce a new series of Star Wars films.
These new films will be separate from both the episodic Skywalker saga and the recently-announced trilogy being developed by Rian Johnson, writer-director of Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

1517949725168.png

http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/david-benioff-db-weiss.jpg

njDizFan

Well that pretty interesting. I'm happy for them they really brought the books to life for me. Unfortunately once the source material for GoT ran dry the story got kind of sloppy.

I hope they give the franchise a new life and new feel. We will be oversaturated after 9 episodes, the follow up trilogy and the back story pieces.

erasure fan1

It makes me wonder a bit what the thinking behind ep 7, 8 and 9 was. The reason being is that this and the Rian Johnson trilogy are all seperate from the Skywalker saga. I know they wanted to move into a new era and push the past away. So if you were going to have all these movies seperate, you should have kept 7, 8 & 9 centered with Luke to end the saga films. Give the fans the story they wanted then move to the new. While I do like 7 and 8, they just aren't as fulfilling as I wanted. I think you would have avoided a lot of the decisiveness that way.

Princess Leia

Worrying news, if you ask me.
Once these guys ran out of R.R. Martin books to adapt, their limited writing abilities were quickly exposed.
Same, my first thought was "ehhhhh..."
While the show wasn't perfect by any means in Seasons 1-4, it at least felt coherent. Things started changing in 5, and by 6, it was off the rails. Sure, some things have been great to watch in the last 2 seasons (Battle of the B_____s, Loot Train Attack), but then others have been painful (Whatever was going on with Arya in Season 7, Jaime waffling, complete lack of keeping time)... but nothing like the complete and total wreck called Dorne.

Bairstow

I do have to admit that it will be interesting to see the first Star Wars trilogy that features constant and explicit male and female nudity. It's a bold direction Disney is taking with Star Wars, but then this is a new generation of fans.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I like this move...and think it could lead to another definitely needed one.

The thing about game of thrones is that they had too much material to draw from for the first 6 years...and then George RR Martin quit because he was busy living his 15 minutes of comic cons for 7 freakin years...

But the other thing is that due to the rising costs/budgets, hbo put a cap on what they were willing to produce. With that being In play...I'm not sure they can be judged properly on their writing credentials. They had to condense what probably required 30 episodes of story lines to wrap up into 13...that completely is contrary to how the series was written/produced early.

I like it...these guys could use a big budget...and their acting/character development has been great...they hired the right people.

...something honestly that has been largely absent from Star Wars for 20-35 year - depending on your opinion.

njDizFan

Well I think they will bring a new voice to the SW universe. And hopefully with the Skywalker tale being told and finalized they can start with a fresh slate and unincumbered with telling someone else's story.

We'll see. As a older Gen Xer who saw the original trilogy in the theaters my preference still would strongly lean towards GoT as the stronger IP (let the flames ensue).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well I think they will bring a new voice to the SW universe. And hopefully with the Skywalker tale being told and finalized they can start with a fresh slate and unincumbered with telling someone else's story.

We'll see. As a older Gen Xer who saw the original trilogy in the theaters my preference still would strongly lean towards GoT as the stronger IP (let the flames ensue).

As far as character development goes? No doubt...

But they didn't write it...so they have a lot to improve.

I'd actually like to see what they could with Indy...cause their screenplays are witty and that's what they need...not dumbed down stupidity for 7 year olds and the East Asian markets.

But I get what you're saying about telling someone's else's story...a director might be inclined to just punt or go completely torch to it...
. . .

Princess Leia

As far as character development goes? No doubt...

But they didn't write it...so they have a lot to improve.

I'd actually like to see what they could with Indy...cause their screenplays are witty and that's what they need...not dumbed down stupidity for 7 year olds and the East Asian markets.

But I get what you're saying about telling someone's else's story...a director might be inclined to just punt or go completely torch to it...
. . .
Are you saying they’ll bring better character development to Star Wars or worse? Because I really don’t trust them in that department.
-Jaime had a great arc in the books, D&D screwed that up
-Arya’s development took a weird and dark turn that didn’t seem right for what we had seen previously
-literally every single one of the Dornish characters that was not named Oberyn had their book characteristics demolished
-Ros, an original character that they created was killed off when the actress didn’t want to do nudity anymore

I’ll still watch the show next year, But only because I am majorly curious. And impatient to get some answers since George is taking his sweet time finishing his books. But based on Season 7 alone, I don’t trust D&D with Star Wars

Princess Leia

Okay I take offense to this line-
“George R.R. Martin’s fantasy world is one where characters die horribly, especially women.“
Far fewer women die in A Song of Ice and Fire opposes to Game of Thrones. Yes, that could still change (the books are now behind the show), but D&D took the source material and made it a lot more sexually violent.

Going to need to use the spoiler tag- and I’m choosing to not include Lyanna Stark and Elia Martell since their stories ended before the books.
Mirri Maz Dur
Catelyn Stark
Doreah
Lysa Arryn
Ygritte
Shae

Mirri Maz Dur
Catelyn Stark
Talisa Stark
Irri
Doreah
Fat Walda Frey (I did not name her)
Myranda
Lysa Arryn
Ygritte
Shae
Myrcella Baratheon- going to die in the books too at some point
Margaery Tyrell
Selise Baratheon
Shireen Baratheon
Ros
Lots of other characters that I can’t think of

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
“George R.R. Martin’s fantasy world is one where characters die horribly, especially women.“
Far fewer women die in A Song of Ice and Fire opposes to Game of Thrones. Yes, that could still change (the books are now behind the show), but D&D took the source material and made it a lot more sexually violent.

Going to need to use the spoiler tag- and I’m choosing to not include Lyanna Stark and Elia Martell since their stories ended before the books.
Mirri Maz Dur
Catelyn Stark
Doreah
Lysa Arryn
Ygritte
Shae

Mirri Maz Dur
Catelyn Stark
Talisa Stark
Irri
Doreah
Myranda
Lysa Arryn
Ygritte
Shae
Margaery Tyrell
Selise Baratheon
Shireen Baratheon
Ros

I think the two articles I posted today make the same thing apparent: they don't really get Star Wars and they're scrambling a bit with the spin.

Abrams opening his mouth looks bad.
Concentrate on the story and the mess you started, Bub...

As far as D&D...they went more provocative as a way to sell the product...and it worked. Thousands of pages of source material never works translated directly to screen play.

They don't have to do that with Star Wars. What I like about them is how they intelligently wrote the dialogue and shot the nuance of the characters...Tyrian, Jamie, Jorah, varys, oberyn, etc...
That is really needed here...they can't navigate the cannon with their corporate goals...so we need at least some memorable character performances.

Bairstow

Mirri Maz Dur
Catelyn Stark
Doreah
Lysa Arryn
Ygritte
Shae

Mirri Maz Dur
Catelyn Stark
Talisa Stark
Irri
Doreah
Myranda
Lysa Arryn
Ygritte
Shae
Margaery Tyrell
Selise Baratheon
Shireen Baratheon
Ros

Ábrar Morghūlis?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom