Galaxy Edge Rant

fctiger

Wait, didn't we already have one of these threads started already?

I know, I know, if its not on the front page people think it doesn't exist.

Well that thread is a bit different though. I only looked at that thread once months ago but that seem to be mostly people ranting about just having SWL in the park at all. This is thread is simply stating someone's actual criticism of the finished product itself, but not having an issue with it there. They even stated the area looks amazing just lacks more to do.

I suspect in a week there will be a lot of those complaints as well as I'm sure it will be many more people in the area than now and only SR to accommodate people and stuff like the Cantina just being too small. Lack of any real mass entertainment to distract people could be an issue as well.

Rich T

...Couldn’t they have had some small ride through rides like the size of Snow White and Mr Toad? I think Walt wouldn’t have allowed this land to open with just 1 ride. I think they should have put in several small scale rides also.

Your thoughts ?
bombad.jpg

DanielBB8

Maybe another spinning ride? Or a kids roller coaster ride? This is getting ridiculous. Star Wars is better served with big rides that serves the mystic. If you're looking for extra things to do, make a light saber or a droid.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Well that thread is a bit different though. I only looked at that thread once months ago but that seem to be mostly people ranting about just having SWL in the park at all. This is thread is simply stating someone's actual criticism of the finished product itself, but not having an issue with it there. They even stated the area looks amazing just lacks more to do.

I suspect in a week there will be a lot of those complaints as well as I'm sure it will be many more people in the area than now and only SR to accommodate people and stuff like the Cantina just being too small. Lack of any real mass entertainment to distract people could be an issue as well.
Well I would say the overall title of this thread is broad as its just states "Galaxy Edge Rant". So all of it could go into that other thread in my opinion. But c'est la vie.

Janir

One big thing to remember is that this Land is intended to grow as the SW universe grows with the new movies.
SWGE is considered CANNON as far as whats there and what happens. Any new changes in future movies will get reflected in the lands and vice versa. That's a totally new concept/experiment that will take time to see how it plays out overall.

Snapper Bean

I think by definition it is really difficult to create a ride with a very small footprint that works with the desire to be immersive. That being said, I'm kinda bummed/irked that they are opening with only one of the two rides that they intended to have ready.

Ismael Flores

Okay So first I love that Disney has put this much effort into a new land and the detail looks amazing. Like details we haven’t seen from Disney recently. But my biggest complaint with this new land is there is only one ride now and one more later on.

Come on, you’re going to build a 14 acre land and only have 2 rides? Couldn’t they have had some small ride through rides like the size of Snow White and Mr Toad? I think Walt wouldn’t have allowed this land to open with just 1 ride. I think they should have put in several small scale rides also.

Your thoughts ?

It would have been great to have an additional smaller ride but im guessing it would have had to be a spinner style ride or some kind of transportation ride. I am not sure to what extent a spinner would have had to be themed to be able to fit the realistic look of the rest of the land.

I also don't think that Disney will not build anymore Snow white or Toad style rides again unless they have enough land for a decent size showbuilding. ADA laws and requirements in California for new construction require for larger show buildings for evac purposes. Any of those rides in Fantasyland would probably require double to triple the footprint now a days for them to be built. The other option would be an omnimover stle ride like mermaid but not sure how that would work with the ever demanding pressure of the younger generation that do not like passive rides

Hopefully as the land clears up from the large crowds it will see next month when it is open to public we will get to see more entertainment in the land. Carsland seems to do well with the one large ride and two smaller ones. What really helps it even more is the ambience and entertainment that keeps the land entertaining and alive thru the day

Last edited:

Travel Junkie

I think we need to start thinking less in terms of ride counts and more about experiences and things to keep guests busy while in a space. GE has multiple experiences that you can either choose to do or not do. The lightsaber experience, droid experience, the cantina is an experience and the land itself is an experience.

Throwing in a spinner or some off the shelf 3rd ride would have destroyed the atmosphere they were trying to create.

DanielBB8

I also don't think that Disney will build anymore Snow white or Toad style rides again unless they have enough land for a decent size showbuilding. ADA laws and requirements in California for new construction require for larger show buildings for evac purposes. Any of those rides in Fantasyland would probably require double to triple the footprint now a days for them to be built. The other option would be an omnimover stle ride like mermaid but not sure how that would work with the ever demanding pressure of the younger generation that do not like passive rides
Even these rides are much bigger. Frozen and the anticipated Beauty and Beast are much bigger attractions than the traditional Fantasyland attractions. Mermaid is a large omnimover ride. The Rise of the Resistance is expected to have 3 segments. It's 3 rides in one. This is why its taking longer to open. If you're easily disappointed, it's better to wait a year until everything is ready and all rides are open.

fctiger

Well I would say the overall title of this thread is broad as its just states "Galaxy Edge Rant". So all of it could go into that other thread in my opinion. But c'est la vie.

OK but his actual issue is very different than what is in that link you highlighted. I went back and read a little of it and its literally people complaining about creating the land inside DL in principle. The OP is simply talking about what he perceive as flaws with it. Those are two different things.

And that thread is 3 years old with over 2000 posts lol. His post would get lost and people want to create something more relevant for today. It makes total sense to make a new thread. I suspect quite a few will be made in the next few weeks.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
OK but his actual issue is very different than what is in that link you highlighted. I went back and read a little of it and its literally people complaining about creating the land inside DL in principle. The OP is simply talking about what he perceive as flaws with it. Those are two different things.

And that thread is 3 years old with over 2000 posts lol. His post would get lost and people want to create something more relevant for today. It makes total sense to make a new thread. I suspect quite a few will be made in the next few weeks.
Its cool, that is why I said C'est La Vie. Or the better, Que sera sera...

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Meh, scream in the wind a bit harder. Maybe it might dislodge a few bytes of interest on a fan site, but it's impact on reality is the same: none.

The venue will rise or fall on its merits and ability to engage a portion of the customer base, or maybe in terms you might understand : Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Rich T

... ever demanding pressure of the younger generation that do not like passive rides
Good post, but... This one point drives me nuts when it gets brought up. The idea that "today's" theme park patrons shun passive rides is just not true. Teens and kids still love the likes of Toad, Space Mountain, Pirates, Splash and Mansion. Roller Coasters continue to huge crowd draws, and they're as non-interactive as a ride can get. Theme parks are more popular than ever, despite 99% of the available rides being non-interactive. I enjoy the heck out of Toy Story Mania, but give me a great roller coaster or non-interactive dark ride over that any day. And I'm not speaking just for my fossilized self, but also for the many younger members of my family whose favorite rides have nothing to do with controlling or shaping the experience.

Rich T

Meh, scream in the wind a bit harder. Maybe it might dislodge a few bytes of interest on a fan site, but it's impact on reality is the same: none.

The venue will rise or fall on its merits and ability to engage a portion of the customer base, or maybe in terms you might understand : Do. Or do not. There is no try.
No need to be rude here. Also, no need to quote pretentious handpuppets. :D

Walt_Disney

Original Poster

Yes thank you, Well said. I have no problem with the land it self. I just wish it had more rides. I think they’ve done an amazing job theming it and it’s one of the best projects Disney has done in years. It just needs more things to do. Maybe a small roller coaster or a small dark ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom