GAC to Become DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Well if that's the case - (citation needed). Don't have this therapy session be at the expense of other park guests. I just don't see how a kid smacking their skull against a metal pole is fun for the child let alone an enjoyable experience for all of those in the queue
Yes, best to keep them shuttered up. It's the only way to be sure....:bored:

Last edited:

Gomer

Well if that's the case - (citation needed). Don't have this therapy session be at the expense of other park guests. I just don't see how a kid smacking their skull against a metal pole is fun for the child let alone an enjoyable experience for all of those in the queue
Are you upset that the person is looking for additional accommodation or that they disrupted other guests with their behavior?

I can buy an argument that they should be held to the same policies as other guests. Like I said, I am in favor of the GAC changes. I can see both sides to that argument.

If you want them to be held to the same policies, but then also stand silent and not cause any disruption to your day, then I have nothing to give you really. People disrupt other people. It’s the nature of being in a crowd…regardless of disabilities. I don't want to comment too much based on the story of this child hitting their head against the pole. Its 3rd hand information and we have no real insight into the details. But, people don't always act/think/speak the way you do. If someone is causing real physical or mental damage to those around them, it’s one thing. But I don't think it’s too much to ask someone to tolerate something outside of their comfort zone in a crowded place so that all can enjoy it. If people aren't willing to bend a little bit to other types of behavior, I would say it might be them that may be better off not going to a place like a theme park where they will be exposed to a wide variety of strange behaviors, rude people, and memorable body odor that you might find offensive or disruptive of your enjoyment. At least in the case of therapy for the disabled its for a good cause. The guy whose body odor nearly made me vomit online for TSMM this May had no greater purpose. He was just dirty. :)

Tom Morrow

Where did I say that it did?
As I also have said multiple times in this thread, I was in favor of the GAC changes. I think abuse was rampant and needed to be reined in.

My comments were directly in response to the suggestion that someone with sensory issues should not be in the park in the first place because it is "obvious" from the perspective of spectators that they are not enjoying themselves or getting anything out of the experience.
I understand, but a lot of the DAS outcriers are using this as justification for wanting unlimited FOTL access.

"My autistic son's favorite ride is Tower of Terror and he gets fixated on it so therefore we deserve to ride as many times as we want and you don't."

Gomer

I understand, but a lot of the DAS outcriers are using this as justification for wanting unlimited FOTL access.

"My autistic son's favorite ride is Tower of Terror and he gets fixated on it so therefore we deserve to ride as many times as we want and you don't."
Agreed. This is something I think we (ASD parents) need to give on a bit and work it on our end. With FP+ and DAS you can get two rides in a row on a specific attraction. Then you have to take a break. I don't think that's unreasonable.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Agreed. This is something I think we (ASD parents) need to give on a bit and work it on our end. With FP+ and DAS you can get two rides in a row on a specific attraction. Then you have to take a break. I don't think that's unreasonable.

I'd like to reach though the screen and give you a high five. Woot! The voice of reason.

Dasnowz

BTW the little boy did fabulous once he was one the ride. He did a total of 3 different rides all day. That was his limit. He said some of his first words on the ride. He is a non verbal child. I had a long discussion with his mom over an hour. My point was How DAS did not work. Even using the new system. He waited over 20 minutes to ride. He then was waiting in line for another long period of time. I am not saying FOTL just that there has to be an adjustment. When they got to the front they were held up for several trucks. someone wanted to be in that row with a family member who was driving so he was bumped. a disabled car came by so he was held up. another disabled truck went by and for some reason they loaded the row behind them. I witnessed the entire thing and finally stepped up and intervened. This was a military family that came over for one day only. This was his first trip. My point was the long lines do not work for some situations and something eventually will have to give or many many families will not be returning. I get that there are some on here who think that kids like him shouldn't be there. But you know what??? he has enough other everyday challenges that him and mom deserve a day of escape. So before you judge a disabled person I really think you should walk a day in the life of a disabled child with a military dad who deploys so mom was trying to make something special. I thought she was brilliant for going to AK and trying to keep the day low key for his first visit. She was testing what his limits were. I actually became friends with her and have kept in touch.

Dasnowz

And I have said numerous times that I am all for change. I just don't think a happy medium meeting needs has been found. I saw abuse first hand numerous times and could do nothing about and now I am seeing guests not being able to enjoy the parks. I have no solution.

natatomic

BTW the little boy did fabulous once he was one the ride. He did a total of 3 different rides all day. That was his limit. He said some of his first words on the ride. He is a non verbal child. I had a long discussion with his mom over an hour. My point was How DAS did not work. Even using the new system. He waited over 20 minutes to ride. He then was waiting in line for another long period of time. I am not saying FOTL just that there has to be an adjustment. When they got to the front they were held up for several trucks. someone wanted to be in that row with a family member who was driving so he was bumped. a disabled car came by so he was held up. another disabled truck went by and for some reason they loaded the row behind them. I witnessed the entire thing and finally stepped up and intervened. This was a military family that came over for one day only. This was his first trip. My point was the long lines do not work for some situations and something eventually will have to give or many many families will not be returning. I get that there are some on here who think that kids like him shouldn't be there. But you know what??? he has enough other everyday challenges that him and mom deserve a day of escape. So before you judge a disabled person I really think you should walk a day in the life of a disabled child with a military dad who deploys so mom was trying to make something special. I thought she was brilliant for going to AK and trying to keep the day low key for his first visit. She was testing what his limits were. I actually became friends with her and have kept in touch.

Wait, did they use the DAS on this ride, or did they use the regular line? If they used the regular line, then yes, they waited longer than they would have with a GAC. BUT if they used a DAS, the amount of time they waited in the line should be the exact same as the amount of time they would have waited in the line with a GAC, because both cards send/sent them through the exact same FP line (and then to a handicapped line where applicable on certain attractions). The only difference is that the DAS doesn't allow them to enter the FP line immediately. But again, if they had the GAC, they would have been sent through the exact same line as they entered with the DAS, so unless I've missed or misunderstood part of the story (which is always possible!), I don't think this particular anecdote demonstrates a flaw in the DAS card system itself.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward

I believe you said in your earlier post that the wait was longer because there was a problem with the ride. So the extra time would not have been normal. I'm glad he did so well at Disney. It must have been wonderful to hear those first words!

JimboJones123

You are now Chairperson of the Board.

If this was just accepted as okay, this whole conflict would disappear.

Tom Morrow

And I have said numerous times that I am all for change. I just don't think a happy medium meeting needs has been found. I saw abuse first hand numerous times and could do nothing about and now I am seeing guests not being able to enjoy the parks. I have no solution.
Your username is oddly relevant to the subject at hand!

Dasnowz

Wait, did they use the DAS on this ride, or did they use the regular line? If they used the regular line, then yes, they waited longer than they would have with a GAC. BUT if they used a DAS, the amount of time they waited in the line should be the exact same as the amount of time they would have waited in the line with a GAC, because both cards send/sent them through the exact same FP line (and then to a handicapped line where applicable on certain attractions). The only difference is that the DAS doesn't allow them to enter the FP line immediately. But again, if they had the GAC, they would have been sent through the exact same line as they entered with the DAS, so unless I've missed or misunderstood part of the story (which is always possible!), I don't think this particular anecdote demonstrates a flaw in the DAS card system itself.

They used DAS but there were problems with the fp line and the line alone for fp was 20 min. There were band issues at the front and it was holding things up. It was a major mess all around.

JLipnick

Please, please, please, don't ever have kids! :banghead:

Its this idea that you are the king of the park and no one should be allowed to interupt your day that is sending Disney in its current direction!

To all that have children, adults, friends with issues/disabilties/challenges that need "this therapy session". Please go ahead and have it at my expense, because whether I have to wait an extra 5 mins-30 mins or whatever, I can still go away and continue my day, continue my life, continue achieving my dreams, live a "normal" life. And I can come back tomorrow and ride/see/eat what I missed today, I appreciate your party might not be handle the stress of two days back to back when a member of the party faces some challenges in the park. so by all means, at my expense, please do whatever you need to do, take as long as you need to take, to get that magical experience for not only that person by the respite and relief that you probably need as well :)
Very well said! as a parent of a disabled 5 year old, thank you. Luckily there are more people in the parks like you than who complain that my child gets entitled to ride without waiting in lines. As i have said in many of my posts, my son is entitled to walk like any other 5 year old boy, but he can't. so every other 5 year old gets to do things at my son's expense every single day. why not let my son have his chance for a few days out of the year? I drive to WDW twice a year from Baltimore so my son can enjoy the parks after our normal weeks of school, PT 3 days a week, OT twice a week, speech therapy 3 days a week, etc. to a parent who doesn't have a child with a disability, it is hard to understand what our normal days are like. Maybe if they swapped places for a week they would understand.

CaptainessKylie

Very well said! as a parent of a disabled 5 year old, thank you. Luckily there are more people in the parks like you than who complain that my child gets entitled to ride without waiting in lines. As i have said in many of my posts, my son is entitled to walk like any other 5 year old boy, but he can't. so every other 5 year old gets to do things at my son's expense every single day. why not let my son have his chance for a few days out of the year? I drive to WDW twice a year from Baltimore so my son can enjoy the parks after our normal weeks of school, PT 3 days a week, OT twice a week, speech therapy 3 days a week, etc. to a parent who doesn't have a child with a disability, it is hard to understand what our normal days are like. Maybe if they swapped places for a week they would understand.

What a great parent you are, please don't ever change! I am so glad your 5 year old gets to enjoy Disney at such a high level because of your dedication. Sidenote: I noticed your picture, on one of your twice annual trips down please get in touch, my husband is "friends" with a stormtrooper and I'm sure he'd love to be apart of your son's magic.

I once complained about my brother getting "special treatment" (he has cerebal palsy), so for 3 days my mum made me wear one shoe that was 3 sizes too big and tied my right arm behind my back when it was dinner time to give me a sense of his difficutlies, that was the time he became my hero :) Gosh if only people could see it, could live it for a few days, then life would be a happy song!

Very well said! as a parent of a disabled 5 year old, thank you. Luckily there are more people in the parks like you than who complain that my child gets entitled to ride without waiting in lines. As i have said in many of my posts, my son is entitled to walk like any other 5 year old boy, but he can't. so every other 5 year old gets to do things at my son's expense every single day. why not let my son have his chance for a few days out of the year?

I hate to break it to you but if your son's disability is only physical, then he will not be entitled to the DAS and will have to wait in the lines (and then some because he will have to wait for a wheelchair accessible ride vehicle). Given the fact that the origin of these type passes go back to only those with physical disabilities, I find this new system ethically reprehensible on Disney's part (and for all those who support it). Your best bet is to throw in the "autism card" when describing his disabilities.

CaptainessKylie

I think a major flaw that Disney have overlooked with the new system, and one that has affected my brother and in turn us first hand is this:

Some people don't want a front of the line pass, they can wait 20-30 mins and they are happy too, they accept thats what a theme park is about, but that's their limit, the problem is the entire day needs to be able to be done in 4-6 hours at best. This can be due to the amount of walking that can be done with a leg splint, or how much quicker burnout is reached, which is part and parcel of some disabilites. The DAS takes that away. It means a day in the park is sometimes lengthier then it would be using the regular queue. This is something I have to applaud universal and their secondary system for because they have taken this into account but Disney haven't. I think Disney need to invest some in their training of cast members, monthly disability refreshers, espeiclally after the "service" we received at the weekend.

CaptainessKylie

I hate to break it to you but if your son's disability is only physical, then he will not be entitled to the DAS and will have to wait in the lines (and then some because he will have to wait for a wheelchair accessible ride vehicle). Given the fact that the origin of these type passes go back to only those with physical disabilities, I find this new system ethically reprehensible on Disney's part (and for all those who support it). Your best bet is to throw in the "autism card" when describing his disabilities.

Which is what we were told at the weekend...if you just tell me he's autistic the card is all yours! IT IS DISGUSTING. I'm still releatively new to the states so I don't know which charities or groups to contact like I would in the UK, any idea of any non-autism groups that I can make aware of this?

JLipnick

Which is what we were told at the weekend...if you just tell me he's autistic the card is all yours! IT IS DISGUSTING. I'm still releatively new to the states so I don't know which charities or groups to contact like I would in the UK, any idea of any non-autism groups that I can make aware of this?
I guarantee if they tell us we can't get a DAS when we go next June and they tell us he has to be in a stroller or a wheelchair, my wife will go ballistic. she can be very convincing. and both WDW and DVC will hear from us. We are perfectly fine with the changes from GAC to DAS, but any true disability should be entitled to the DAS, not just Autism. My son both requires and deserves the DAS. and as for my pic, my son was scared to do the jedi training academy as he was afraid he couldn't do it in his walker even though they said he could. so, they got us a meet and greet with Vader and the storm troopers! it was awesome. that is the disney we have come to love. oh, and don't think my son would pass for being on the autism spectrum. he is extremely outgoing and talks non stop to everyone, including strangers.

I'm still releatively new to the states so I don't know which charities or groups to contact like I would in the UK, any idea of any non-autism groups that I can make aware of this?

That would have no effect because the only reason Disney even has DAS is to keep those with autism and sensory disorders from repulsing the average guest with their strange behavior like banging their head against the rails, having a meltdown or exhibiting violent actions. Your best bet is to not bother fighting the discrimination and do like we do and go in September when you don’t really need a pass (or go to Universal where they don’t show prejudice against those with physical disabilities).

Gomer

You might be better off going TO an Autism based group for this. People lying about having autism is damaging and offensive to us (people dealing with ASD) just as it is to those with other disabilities. Because of the size of the demographic and the power and money behind some autism based charities and groups, they may have a stronger voice in stopping this practice than other disability groups would. But they need examples of this, and since people who do truly have autism and might have connections inside these groups don't experience the same problems at Guest Relations, it will likely go unnoticed by these groups.

Regardless, Disney having people lie about having Autism is offensive to me, demeaning to the daily struggles that my son deals with, and only aids in perpetuating the growing problem of villainizing autism in these sorts of debates. This upsets me far more than having to wait an hour between DAS uses. So, I think there is opportunity here for both ASD and other disabilities to push for loosening of restrictions around who gets a DAS as it is damaging on both sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom