GAC to Become DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainessKylie

Tirades like these really stretch credulity. Does anyone really believe that a cast member 'went on to try to embarrass' a child, even a 'disabled' one? It reminds me of all the shenanigans that go on at the Special Olympics....but, that's another can of worms.

I can 100% assure you that although you see this as a tirade, I am merely trying to convey a full story of something that happened for 20 minutes. As an ex cast member I was more ashamed by how she treated my brother because yes a cast member repeatedly tried to embarrass him. He is 22 so not a child and the assistance is not only designed for children. As he became clearly frustrated which should have been more than enough "evidence" for her she embarrassed him again and again. Unless you think asking someone how someone became "so" disabled in front of that person but refusing to talk to them isn't embarrassing. But CP comes with a lot of sensitivity and a lot of social angst.

The sad thing is that these things happen but people won't believe it, like yourself. I have nothing to gain from this and want nothing but to share how horrendous the whole experience was and we will be voting with our feet and not returning.

CaptainessKylie

Had "Taylor from IL" tried to embarrass my disabled child, Disney would have had to change her name tag to "Toothless Taylor from IL".

I appreciate what you are saying but then I would have been worse a person than her. By keeping my cool as mic has possible I can now email some of the leads and parks ops managers that I have access to and hopefully Taylor will a) not do the same thing to someone again and b) be removed from the empowered job that is guest relations

Belowthesurface

I appreciate what you are saying but then I would have been worse a person than her. By keeping my cool as mic has possible I can now email some of the leads and parks ops managers that I have access to and hopefully Taylor will a) not do the same thing to someone again and b) be removed from the empowered job that is guest relations

If there is no precedent with this Cast Member, nothing will be done.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Pay no attention to the basketball behind the bars.

Goofyernmost

I can 100% assure you that although you see this as a tirade, I am merely trying to convey a full story of something that happened for 20 minutes. As an ex cast member I was more ashamed by how she treated my brother because yes a cast member repeatedly tried to embarrass him. He is 22 so not a child and the assistance is not only designed for children. As he became clearly frustrated which should have been more than enough "evidence" for her she embarrassed him again and again. Unless you think asking someone how someone became "so" disabled in front of that person but refusing to talk to them isn't embarrassing. But CP comes with a lot of sensitivity and a lot of social angst.

The sad thing is that these things happen but people won't believe it, like yourself. I have nothing to gain from this and want nothing but to share how horrendous the whole experience was and we will be voting with our feet and not returning.
There are lots of reasons why someone would, how do I put this, over dramatize a situation looking for the attention or support. It comes about by exaggeration of a small misunderstanding that they perceived happening and then amplified by a complete lack of a sense of humor or taking oneself to seriously. Actually a pretty strong trademark of today's world. None of this may apply to you, but, if you wanted an idea why people, in general, tend to be skeptical...that would be the reason.

bhg469

Did disney even attempt to accommodate people with "mobile disability"? I understand that what sparked this was the tour group in the times but there were also many many people who lied and abused the system like my scummy brother in law who has 2 healthy non autistic children yet somehow used gac.

Can't they just say you have one person with a gac, so one person may go with them to the ride? I feel for parents with autistic children but for them to be the only ones disney is catering to, just seems awful. Again this is just my opinion but I feel like a double amputee should be able to avoid a line before just about anyone.

Gomer

Can't they just say you have one person with a gac, so one person may go with them to the ride? I feel for parents with autistic children but for them to be the only ones disney is catering to, just seems awful. Again this is just my opinion but I feel like a double amputee should be able to avoid a line before just about anyone.

That only works if there is 1:1 ratio of non-disabled to disabled in the party. It was brought up early in this thread and was discounted due to single parents with multiple children (one being disabled). You can't leave one kid sitting outside the ride by themself while you take your disabled child on the ride. Even without that though...I don't want to split my party up and have my son segregated from his brother when we use the DAS. Considering by bringing 4 people vs 2 on most rides won't reduce capacity as we will all be in one ride vehicle, I don't think the benefit is worth it for the negatives that would come from it.

That being said, I agree that they are being too harsh with physical disabilities. My guess is, and someone else alluded to this earlier, is that they are taking a hard line now to scare away the scammers and will relax restrictions once people are convinced that DAS isn't a free for all cheat anymore. I think that Disney likely would have loved to crack down accross the board but were fearful of the powerful, large, and vocal autistic community and therefore have placated us (meaning those with autism or those with ASD family members) through this process by leaving the DAS process in place for cognitive disabilities "including autism".

Hopefully, they ease restrictions soon. It's one thing to tell someone who twisted their ankle skiing to get a wheelchair and take it through the standby line, but doing that to someone with CP or a paraplegic seems overly harsh. The pendulum may have swung too far in favor of increased restrictions. I hope it levels out soon.

Also, it seems like they might want to start training their GR cast memebers on different disabilities and how exactly they present themselves. From the story relayed here, it would seem that the cast member didn't really know what CP was. Maybe training would result in additional sensitivity, even if it didn't result in changed policies.

Dasnowz

The problem is this. Since you went in 1999 the lines have increased tenfold. When you brought your aunt in the 80's it was nothing like today. There are seas of strollers. Lines over 2 hours long some days. The crowds are progressively getting larger and larger. And that is the problem.

In early Nov.I witnessed a young boy about 2 year old who has a sensory disorder. He had waited in line for a time already. When he got to the front of the line they were delayed yet another 15 min for 3 different reasons. About 5 min into the delay the child began hitting his head repetitively against the bars in the queue. His mom tried to no avail to get him to stop. As I spoke with the mom she let me know that they were at about a 20 min wait in line with a DAS card already. This was for the safari ride in AK. He did finally ride but we did also take him over to medical to make sure he didn't harm himself. SO how does a DAS card help him? This was their first visit. I could only imagine how bad MK would have been for him.

Lucky

Tirades like these really stretch credulity. Does anyone really believe that a cast member 'went on to try to embarrass' a child, even a 'disabled' one? It reminds me of all the shenanigans that go on at the Special Olympics....but, that's another can of worms.
Huh? Do you mean the Paralympics (which coordinates with the IOC)? Or Special Olympics (started by Eunice Kennedy Shriver)?

Belowthesurface

There are lots of reasons why someone would, how do I put this, over dramatize a situation looking for the attention or support. It comes about by exaggeration of a small misunderstanding that they perceived happening and then amplified by a complete lack of a sense of humor or taking oneself to seriously. Actually a pretty strong trademark of today's world. None of this may apply to you, but, if you wanted an idea why people, in general, tend to be skeptical...that would be the reason.

Which is what usually happens when a Guest "is going to Guest Services!"

CaptainessKylie

Which is what usually happens when a Guest "is going to Guest Services!"

I was at Guest Relations so there was no dramatizing required....the people involved were there! Sadly this is the thing if you are a guest with a complaint it would seem people will always point a finger at you, oh the guest must be exaggerating the guest must be lying. When sometimes it's simply a case of a really bad cast member that needs to be moved from a position with some "power". Just like some terrible coordinators there are now. I really wish I had exaggerated this story it left such a sour taste in my mouth, I tried to shake it all day as it was my brothers birthday but it was just one of those things that each of us would just suddenly go I can't believe when she said that...and it would be brought to the top again.

psukardi

The problem is this. Since you went in 1999 the lines have increased tenfold. When you brought your aunt in the 80's it was nothing like today. There are seas of strollers. Lines over 2 hours long some days. The crowds are progressively getting larger and larger. And that is the problem.

In early Nov.I witnessed a young boy about 2 year old who has a sensory disorder. He had waited in line for a time already. When he got to the front of the line they were delayed yet another 15 min for 3 different reasons. About 5 min into the delay the child began hitting his head repetitively against the bars in the queue. His mom tried to no avail to get him to stop. As I spoke with the mom she let me know that they were at about a 20 min wait in line with a DAS card already. This was for the safari ride in AK. He did finally ride but we did also take him over to medical to make sure he didn't harm himself. SO how does a DAS card help him? This was their first visit. I could only imagine how bad MK would have been for him.

Perhaps if the child is in that state - the park isn't the best place for them to be. I know I'm cold and heartless and don't have a soul and will rot in the fiery pits of Moredore; however, taking a 2 year old with a sensory disorder to a place like Disney probably isn't the best idea. A child that's 2 years old is still in that development stage where they can't truly process memories so it's not like they will look back on the experience when they are older with glee. The parents obviously will not enjoy the experience because they will see nothing but pain and anguish through the childs eyes (see above).

Accommodating that guest at the expense of others is what Disney is trying to do. A DAS card was given and if these accommodations aren't enough then maybe this isn't the place to be taking your precious snowflake.

Yes, I know I should be thankful I don't have a child with that kind of condition. I should pray to the old gods and the new that it doesn't happen to me. I'll take my 15 lashings now from the politically correct crowd now....

Gomer

Perhaps if the child is in that state - the park isn't the best place for them to be. I know I'm cold and heartless and don't have a soul and will rot in the fiery pits of Moredore; however, taking a 2 year old with a sensory disorder to a place like Disney probably isn't the best idea. A child that's 2 years old is still in that development stage where they can't truly process memories so it's not like they will look back on the experience when they are older with glee. The parents obviously will not enjoy the experience because they will see nothing but pain and anguish through the childs eyes (see above).

Accommodating that guest at the expense of others is what Disney is trying to do. A DAS card was given and if these accommodations aren't enough then maybe this isn't the place to be taking your precious snowflake.

Yes, I know I should be thankful I don't have a child with that kind of condition. I should pray to the old gods and the new that it doesn't happen to me. I'll take my 15 lashings now from the politically correct crowd now....

I've said this a few times in this thread whenever this idea is brought up. WDW can be used as a therapeutic experience for disabled children that fall into either the sensory seeking or sensory sensitive categories. The stimuli present in both motion, as well as sensory input (sound, smell, sight) is near impossible to find elsewhere in a package that presents itself in such a fun and palatable way to children. Its a unique experience that is a useful tool to both the parents and children affected, and even though in that small slice of time you see them melting down or seemingly unhappy, that is not always the entire story. A lot of children get a great deal of lasting impact from that park which is one of the reasons it has become so popular for families dealing with cognitive disabilities. Its done wonders for my son. If you need examples of how it has worked for me, please look back at my posts in this thread.

Tom Morrow

I've said this a few times in this thread whenever this idea is brought up. WDW can be used as a therapeutic experience for disabled children that fall into either the sensory seeking or sensory sensitive categories. The stimuli present in both motion, as well as sensory input (sound, smell, sight) is near impossible to find elsewhere in a package that presents itself in such a fun and palatable way to children. Its a unique experience that is a useful tool to both the parents and children affected, and even though in that small slice of time you see them melting down or seemingly unhappy, that is not always the entire story. A lot of children get a great deal of lasting impact from that park which is one of the reasons it has become so popular for families dealing with cognitive disabilities. Its done wonders for my son. If you need examples of how it has worked for me, please look back at my posts in this thread.
Right, but WDW is not intended to be therapy, and that doesn't entitle someone to be able to ride as much as they want at the expense of everyone else.

Gomer

Right, but WDW is not intended to be therapy, and that doesn't entitle someone to be able to ride as much as they want at the expense of everyone else.

Where did I say that it did?
As I also have said multiple times in this thread, I was in favor of the GAC changes. I think abuse was rampant and needed to be reined in.

My comments were directly in response to the suggestion that someone with sensory issues should not be in the park in the first place because it is "obvious" from the perspective of spectators that they are not enjoying themselves or getting anything out of the experience.

psukardi

Well if that's the case - (citation needed). Don't have this therapy session be at the expense of other park guests. I just don't see how a kid smacking their skull against a metal pole is fun for the child let alone an enjoyable experience for all of those in the queue

raymusiccity

Huh? Do you mean the Paralympics (which coordinates with the IOC)? Or Special Olympics (started by Eunice Kennedy Shriver)?

Both actually, but, I'll use this as one example. It seems no matter what the rules are, there's always someone looking to take advantage. :-(

"Cheating at the Paralympic Games has caused scandals that have significantly changed the way in which the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) manages the events. Testing for performance-enhancing drugs has become increasingly strict and more widespread throughout the Games, with powerlifting seeing the most positive results. Competitors without disabilities have also competed in some Paralympic Games, with the Spanish entry in the intellectually disabled basketball tournament at the 2000 Summer Paralympics being the most controversial."

CaptainessKylie

Don't have this therapy session be at the expense of other park guests.

Please, please, please, don't ever have kids! :banghead:

Its this idea that you are the king of the park and no one should be allowed to interupt your day that is sending Disney in its current direction!

To all that have children, adults, friends with issues/disabilties/challenges that need "this therapy session". Please go ahead and have it at my expense, because whether I have to wait an extra 5 mins-30 mins or whatever, I can still go away and continue my day, continue my life, continue achieving my dreams, live a "normal" life. And I can come back tomorrow and ride/see/eat what I missed today, I appreciate your party might not be handle the stress of two days back to back when a member of the party faces some challenges in the park. so by all means, at my expense, please do whatever you need to do, take as long as you need to take, to get that magical experience for not only that person by the respite and relief that you probably need as well :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom