GAC to Become DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
While you might think of this as 'rubbing salt in..' - no one thinks Celebrities wait on line with everyone else in the parks. DL regulars are well aware of the plaids and VIP access rich people leverage at Disney. And WDW fans are used to seeing the special attention Celebs get too (like those Disney photos on the lawn in front of the castle, etc)

I wouldn't think they would, but yeah, the salt in the wound for 6 times, yep.

Gabe1

I didn't see the show but did she say that it was the sixth time that day or the sixth time since it opened, you know like once a month for six months or once a week for six weeks or once a day for six days? Or maybe even once a couple times a day for 3 days. The combinations are limitless. If she said, today, then the conclusion is that shouldn't have happened, if she didn't then a giant leap of assumptions has just been made.

Leap for a Celebrity son, who's Mom is shooting an ABC show at Disneyland? Leap, don't think so. Have you ever heard Kelly Ripa another celebrity Mom that has shot her show at WDW many many times tell the story of the first time she had them stand in lines over VIPing it and how one kid bulked? You think the View Cast at Disney is treated differently than the Live Cast at WDW? Doubtful I'm taking any leaps.

StarWarsGirl

I can't believe this didn't get edited out...The show The View has been broadcasting from Disneyland this week.

Earlier this week, the blonde co-host is shown in a clip riding Cars with her son. Then goes onto say that was his 6th time riding already. The moment of truth when the naive celebrate puts her foot in Disney's mouth.
LOL, with that line? Even people using the GAC couldn't ride it that many times. I know because we used the GAC while out there (my brother has autism and his meltdowns were worse that usual out there) and I didn't get on it that many times! I think 4 times over 6 days was it.

bhg469

I listened to wdw kingdomcast , an adult themed disney podcast yesterday.. ONE of the hosts who is a double amputee was totally treated poorly. I did not realize that gac was killed off for a program that only helps people with autism. This blows my mind! Shame on Disney for not making a plan that did not account for mobily disabled people. That guy took it well but he made some major valid points.

StarWarsGirl

I listened to wdw kingdomcast , an adult themed disney podcast yesterday.. ONE of the hosts who is a double amputee was totally treated poorly. I did not realize that gac was killed off for a program that only helps people with autism. This blows my mind! Shame on Disney for not making a plan that did not account for mobily disabled people. That guy took it well but he made some major valid points.
Was this in Disneyland or World? My finding was that some of the CMs in DL are just plain rude about following the rules to the letter. It was annoying and one of the low points about the trip.

bhg469

His trip was wdw and said some castmembers pretty much went against policy to help him out but he was ssure it was because they were avoiding a problem.

Tom Morrow

LOL, with that line? Even people using the GAC couldn't ride it that many times. I know because we used the GAC while out there (my brother has autism and his meltdowns were worse that usual out there) and I didn't get on it that many times! I think 4 times over 6 days was it.
As any CM who has worked a high demand FP attraction will tell you, it was extremely common for GAC parties to ride over and over and over while everyone else had to wait an hour or wait for their Fastpass time to ride once.

The difference here is that the celebrities are shelling out tons of extra cash for this privilege, not just lying or exploiting a disability.

StarWarsGirl

As any CM who has worked a high demand FP attraction will tell you, it was extremely common for GAC parties to ride over and over and over while everyone else had to wait an hour or wait for their Fastpass time to ride once.

The difference here is that the celebrities are shelling out tons of extra cash for this privilege, not just lying or exploiting a disability.
Except Racers worked like DAS... they'd add 45 minutes to an hour to the pass and you'd come back, plus FP was about a 20 minute wait. Admittedly we rode TSM a few times in a row. I can understand the celebrities getting shorter wait times to a degree though. Security issues for one, second they might not be able to stay as long, third they might have to stop to sign autographs.

Goofyernmost

Leap for a Celebrity son, who's Mom is shooting an ABC show at Disneyland? Leap, don't think so. Have you ever heard Kelly Ripa another celebrity Mom that has shot her show at WDW many many times tell the story of the first time she had them stand in lines over VIPing it and how one kid bulked? You think the View Cast at Disney is treated differently than the Live Cast at WDW? Doubtful I'm taking any leaps.
The fact that they could have edited it out is one of the reasons for my giving the benefit of the doubt. The phrase itself is not even close to relevant with the argument. For example, I could say that I have ridden SSE about 50 times, but with no time reference how does one know if that is since 1983 or just today. You may be correct, but I think it is making a leap to assume that they meant "in a row" or even one day, celebrity or not. And since Disney had the opportunity to edit it, I'm inclined to go with over time and not against the rules. It's not against the rules to ride it 6 times anyway as long as the line is used. Part of the problems that Disney Guest have with their experience is making assumptions, be it handicaps or accidental stroller bumping, and if we all stopped being quite so literal and tried to imagine what other reason might exist, we all would be much happier.

Gabe1

I understand the point you are making. In this instance I doubt they were paying tons of extra cash for the privilege, doubt they were paying anything, but have no way of knowing. The ABC owned show was being filmed at DL over many days. My guess is Disney wasn't charging their Co-hosts likely the entire trip was comp'd.

Gabe1

The fact that they could have edited it out is one of the reasons for my giving the benefit of the doubt. The phrase itself is not even close to relevant with the argument. For example, I could say that I have ridden SSE about 50 times, but with no time reference how does one know if that is since 1983 or just today. You may be correct, but I think it is making a leap to assume that they meant "in a row" or even one day, celebrity or not. And since Disney had the opportunity to edit it, I'm inclined to go with over time and not against the rules. It's not against the rules to ride it 6 times anyway as long as the line is used. Part of the problems that Disney Guest have with their experience is making assumptions, be it handicaps or accidental stroller bumping, and if we all stopped being quite so literal and tried to imagine what other reason might exist, we all would be much happier.

Okie Dokie. :bored:

Last edited:

willtravel

While you might think of this as 'rubbing salt in..' - no one thinks Celebrities wait on line with everyone else in the parks. DL regulars are well aware of the plaids and VIP access rich people leverage at Disney. And WDW fans are used to seeing the special attention Celebs get too (like those Disney photos on the lawn in front of the castle, etc)

Now that topic would be worth a podcast...

peachykeen

I understand the point you are making. In this instance I doubt they were paying tons of extra cash for the privilege, doubt they were paying anything, but have no way of knowing. The ABC owned show was being filmed at DL over many days. My guess is Disney wasn't charging their Co-hosts likely the entire trip was comp'd.

You are probably right. VIP Guests who are on property for something business-related do not pay for their VIP Tour Guide. So for example when Michael Strahan visited last year for Christmas Parade filming, he did not pay for his Guide, even if the Guide was with the family riding attractions. However, a VIP Guest who visits on vacation will pay the same rate as any other Guest who wishes to have a VIP Guide.

Just spent a few hours at MK, and I didn't see one Disney wheelchair or ECV anywhere in the park. I did see people in their own personal wheelchairs and ECVs. Amazing to me that I literally so NO Disney owned wheelchair or ECVs, it just proves that there were a LOT (not all) of guests who used them for line jumping.

Tom Morrow

Just spent a few hours at MK, and I didn't see one Disney wheelchair or ECV anywhere in the park. I did see people in their own personal wheelchairs and ECVs. Amazing to me that I literally so NO Disney owned wheelchair or ECVs, it just proves that there were a LOT (not all) of guests who used them for line jumping.
No, this assumption is wrong, because simply having a wheelchair or ECV did not grant you the "skip the line" GAC.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Sorry...your logic is illogical.
spock.jpg

No, this assumption is wrong, because simply having a wheelchair or ECV did not grant you the "skip the line" GAC.
As a parent of a disabled child, I saw first-hand the abuse that took place with GAC and most of it was by those with ECVs and wheelchairs (who did receive FOTL access). A vast majority of these people were totally healthy and not once did I witness one of these low-lifes actually use the wheelchair accessible ride vehicle. However, I did witness a lot of miracles of people being able to get up and walk onto the first ride vehicle that came by.

flynnibus

Premium Member

The smart ones know its better to rent from 3rd party providers.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
As a parent of a disabled child, I saw first-hand the abuse that took place with GAC and most of it was by those with ECVs and wheelchairs (who did receive FOTL access). A vast majority of these people were totally healthy and not once did I witness one of these low-lifes actually use the wheelchair accessible ride vehicle. However, I did witness a lot of miracles of people being able to get up and walk onto the first ride vehicle that came by.
Not everyone that must use a wheelchair is 100% incapacitated. They could have invisible disabilities that you are unaware of.

You would think that a parent of a disabled child would have a little more compassion for those who are not so lucky in life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom