GAC to Become DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

pddmom

only people without disabilities or abusers call it a golden ticket, i honestly never heard that till this thread
What everyone wants is a fair system....not one with unequal access. Is it ok for a family with a GAC(real, fake or whatever need) to ride lets say Pooh 4 times while I am still in line for once? No one is saying keep the disabled kids at home. Disney has even acknowledged the rise in use of GAC by everyone is the reason it is ending. The only people I read getting upset are the ones losing the golden ticket.
yes! that is what i am saying! i have 2 sons with autism and want the abuse to stop and am willing to accept the changes, the naysayers, ie typical parents keep complaining and want to rub our noses in it, not nice.

pddmom

Lets just face facts: The Guests who come to Disney have turned into [Pick your Vulgarity].

We need better guests.
all i can say is Thanks! i hope i am taking your comment correctly in that people need to be nicer to each other, if no other time than when they are at disney.

JerseyDad

I will agree with you, you are unsympathetic, and it scares me that you have anything to do with kids with disabilities in the school system. You seem to have a very negative attitude, which is not what I would expect from someone who claims to deal with kids with disabilities, disturbing. I would agree with you again that there has been a lot of whining from a faction here, but not from those with disabilities, but mostly from the people who seem to be getting what they want. I would also say to those that make comments that are less than appropriate, or verge on insulting, shame on you. Abuse of the system is of course disgusting and no one wants that but the abusers, but some of you are just as blatantly disgusting in your comments about disabled people!! People that actually need assistance! So disheartening! I am sure your kids are so proud of you (only some of you) that yell disparaging comments to the disabled. Role models! Walt would be proud! and you say, to my suggestion that rides per day should be offered, accept your limitations! what i have to say to that can not be said here. bottom line, it is not nice, you have no empathy, i, and many others like me, are not asking for more or front of the line, but you are the angry ones, and then chastise us when we respond. Ridiculous, immature and I am sure any of you would cower if ever really confronted outside the internet like our children are daily!

......nowhere ...at no time ...did I say that I have ANYTHING to do with kids in a school system ...or that I deal with disabled kids.

.....abuse of the system is rampant ....but don't simply look at the "phonies" as those responsible for the breakdown ...start looking toward yourself: http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201309/3695/

LucyK

.....abuse of the system is rampant ....but don't simply look at the "phonies" as those responsible for the breakdown ...start looking toward yourself: http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201309/3695/
Great article! Everyone saying how the DAS will make their touring impossible should take a hard long look at themselves and how they've been using the GAC system. What some are failing to grasp is that GAC was never meant to be a FOTL pass (it even said so in the card) but to help with waiting in line.

I fail to understand how one can go to Disney and not expect to wait at least 10-30 minutes for a ride. Sure you coached your kid to wait out the ride till you get to Disney so why not coach him to wait to ride Pooh? The disabled child wasn't born riding Pooh with not wait so someone taught him that Pooh could be ridden 4 times in a row with no wait. Well, now it's your job as a parent to teach him something new.

JimboJones123

ok jimbo, some of can't afford a month at Disney, you obviously can according to your post, but you still have problems with people with disabilities? lol!!!! I think we are getting a better picture of entitlement vs. empathy....i got it... how dare these "people" take away from my experience....the more i read "you guys" want the disabled to just stay home and not interfere with your magic! Not gonna happen Jimbo! maybe think about taking your kids to china or somewhere else where disabililties are note recognized
Most people cannot afford nor would want amonth long trip to Diseny.

But, to have 10+ day trips, we made sure to save where it counted. Our kids always packed lunches for school. We never went out to eat. I worked 55+ hours a week. We scraped and got by. Trust me, Autism is not the worst disease to go to Disney World with. People get by and enjoy themselves with far greater burdons than that. A great percentage of them would additionally be satisfied by just experiencing going to Disney in general. It is not a ride quota system for most guests with disabilities. In fact, it is not a ride quota for many guests.

Again, if you are unsatisfied, hop on down to Universal, or Busch Gardens where they have THE EXACT SAME SYSTEM.

For all the offense you have taken over the term entitlement, you define it perfectly.

Questioning my empathy? I want disabled people to stay home?

You post is an abomination. Seriously, stop trolling the boards.

Instead of being upset because Disney is dialing the program back to match the marketplace, be glad you were able to take advantage of the system before the change.

Think of it this way, if there were no GAC and DAS was the first ever system that WDW implemented, would you not be overjoyed? It would at just a pinch more flex into your schedule than you would have had with no system in place. What a blessing, huh?

jrlbc06

http://www.goodtherapy.org/blog/disneys-new-disability-assistance-system-fails-my-family-0930134

in their lives. They are intelligent human beings locked away in bodies that don’t process the world the way others do, living in a society that views them as “Dopey.” Part of the magic of Disney is knowing my kid can ride Soarin’ repeatedly and dream of being the airplane pilot he may never actually have the opportunity to be.
[/URL]

It was not just the fakers abusing the GAC. Who wouldn't like to ride Space Mountain 8 times in a row without even leaving the seat! Or ride Soarin' repeatedly. In what world is that not abuse?

BroganMc

http://www.goodtherapy.org/blog/disneys-new-disability-assistance-system-fails-my-family-0930134

It was not just the fakers abusing the GAC. Who wouldn't like to ride Space Mountain 8 times in a row without even leaving the seat! Or ride Soarin' repeatedly. In what world is that not abuse?

That's a laugh. You NEVER get to ride Soarin' repeatedly. You also don't get to ride TSM again because there's a person waiting for your seat. You will get the chance to ride Test Track, Haunted Mansion, Buzz Lightyear, and Winnie the Pooh again. Max is 2 trips (on rare occasions 3) and only if there isn't someone waiting for that wheelchair car on Buzz and Pooh.

Reason why CMs allow these guests to stay on and ride again? Because to get them off makes the ride stop for everyone. Now in Haunted Mansion guests don't mind being stopped in the ride. Buzz, Pooh and Test Track it's downright annoying. You don't get to play any of the games in Buzz, Pooh's music stops and you hear Tigger incessantly apologize, and Test Track you just sit there. But when there's a special vehicle involved you don't get the offer to ride again if someone shows up in line behind you. That's usually the case with TSM. (In the years since that ride opened I was offered a rare second ride around the track a week ago. No one showed up to use the car until my second round trip. Since the car is never used for the regular Standby queue, it had no impact on them.)

But trust me there is a limit to repeats. If a guest was allowed more than twice chances are it was a time when the ride was not busy. One EMH night at Hollywood Studios I and 5 other people got to ride Star Tours 6 times in a row. It was a blast. No one entered the queue to join us for the last couple rides. We stopped because the CMs said they had to close down the ride for the night.

Pinkerton

Banned
So being Lactose Intolerant means you need GAC?
Yes, allergies are now considered a disability and I bet people were telling CMs that they were considered "disabled" and needed a GAC. Moreover, I bet when they were questioned on what type disability by the CM, they told them that it was none of their business.

Pinkerton

Banned

The greatest abuse was by those with the "borderline invisible disabilities". They were physically able to wait out the queues but legally able to consider themselves disabled and warrant the "golden ticket". I consider these people the scum of the scum because they betrayed their own kind.

Pinkerton

Banned
i have 2 sons with autism and want the abuse to stop and am willing to accept the changes, the naysayers, ie typical parents keep complaining and want to rub our noses in it, not nice.

I am not a typical parent (father of DD9 who has severe Cerebral Palsy) and I guess I am a naysayer too because I am for DAS just to stop the abuse and cherish in those low-life scum who are losing out. It is the likes of you who have children with "invisible disabilities" who are physically healthy and can handle a queue yet took advantage of your child's disability to score a FOTL pass. You did your child no favors by not teaching them to learn how to wait and all you did is teach your child to cheat. I LOVE THE FACT THAT YOU ARE NOW GOING TO HAVE TO WAIT!! HA, HA, HA.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I am not a typical parent (father of DD9 who has severe Cerebral Palsy) and I guess I am a naysayer too because I am for DAS just to stop the abuse and cherish in those low-life scum who are losing out. It is the likes of you who have children with "invisible disabilities" who are physically healthy and can handle a queue yet took advantage of your child's disability to score a FOTL pass. You did your child no favors by not teaching them to learn how to wait and all you did is teach your child to cheat. I LOVE THE FACT THAT YOU ARE NOW GOING TO HAVE TO WAIT!! HA, HA, HA.
So you have taken it upon yourself to deem autism an unfit disability for GAC/DAS ?

Nemo14

So having fathered a child with CP makes you an expert on all other disabiities? No one is denying your child anything, but you seem to think that autism is just a matter of discipline? Perhaps we al need to walk a mile in each other's shoes.

pddmom

First, I am in favor of the change and also want the abuse to stop. My point was about people saying negative things about people with disabilities. Second, how is it cheating if my children are truly disabled and the pass was authorized by Disney? Third, your post really makes my point.

BaconPancakes

Thank you for posting that article, I just read that one recently. It appears that it's not the "evil abusers" who caused this revision, but the overwhelming amount of people with disabilities who felt they were entitled to unlimited and immediate access to every attraction on property.

I can't think of many disabilities where it would be necessary for someone to bypass an entire line of people, not to mention bypass the line multiple times in a row. Most lines are wheelchair accessible, and if you are physically incapable of waiting in a line, then Disney has given you the option to come back at a later time. There's no reason why someone shouldn't have to wait the same amount of time as the people physically standing in line.

It works at Universal and I'm sure it will work out fine here, well once the people who used these as a golden ticket stop stomping their feet and pouting.

JerseyDad

".....consider creating an autism spectrum pass—one that would consider the specific needs of these families, such as safety (our kids also like to run away when stressed) and comfort (not having to check-in and come back to a favorite ride or wait beyond 15 to 20 minutes for anything, including food and transportation if possible). What if a pass were created that could include just three favorite rides where these special accommodations could be made?...."

.....the above is an excerpt from the referenced linked article. Reading it, and the rest of her pity-party soaked rant began to make me see red.

.....the absurd level of entitlement expressed in that piece just boggles the mind, as do many of the comments that follow in support of what was written. Let me get this straight ....she wants SEPARATE rules just for her affliction? What seems to be getting missed by her (and her supporters) was that the ADA endeavored to get rid of the SEPARATE aspects related to the disabled. Yet for her that is not enough? Someone needs to clarify to her that ...it's the "Americans with Disabilities Act" ......not the "Autism Disability Act". Trying to be separate of "the system" ...is what will be a set-back to the disabled ...not Disney changing their rules!!

.....if she got her way ...in theory ...WDW could accommodate her in the ultimate manner ...giving complete ...unrestricted access to all rides and attractions to all those stricken with autism. However, since the number of children between the ages of 3 - 17 with some form of autism is about 1.0% ....Disney could also choose to make the 'special pass' available on 1% of the days in a year ...or about 4 days ...of their choosing.

.....so being separate could be definitely not be the wisest choice (though it'll not happen because of the laws that are already in place)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom