GAC to Become DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerseyDad

I feel that this is true. I think that so many people just want something "normal" for their child and sometimes it is not what is best for the child. My sister and I talk about this all the time. There are so many other places that you can go instead of WDW, especially if the child has problems with crowds and loud noises. WDW is not a necessity. Like others have said, there are so many kids that do not go to WDW for a variety of reasons and grow up just fine. I never went as a child, neither did most of the kids I grew up with.

....makes one wonder if the parent is taking the kid to WDW for the kid's benefit ...or ...because the parent needs to say that THEY did something for their kid ....almost like they are trying to validate that they are a good parent?

duchess1

I've been reading a lot about the changes and I almost wish that the Today Show story had not come out. There were changes already in progress and the "for hire" crowd seems to be getting most of the blame instead of where the real breakdown of the system occurred - the overuse of the GAC by the disabled, in particular, the ones who "can not wait in line". Disney went way above what they were required to do and in creating magic for these guests, became a victim of their own policies.

The people I feel sorriest for are the CM's who will have to deal with this new policy and if they even get 1/3 of the vitriol that I've seen out on the internet, they will be very happy for the increased security. I can only hope that Disney management will back them up on enforcement and start barring people from the property if they start getting out of line with the CM's.

fosse76

Not a bad idea. I was thinking along the lines of something similar. You get X number of chances to use an alternate entrance in a day. Restrictions would have to apply for how long between visits if it's the same attraction too.

Back when I worked at Six Flags, that was the procedure. Even back then the person's picture was on the pass (see how far behind the times Disney is??). The guest with pass would enter through the exit...a host or hostess (as Six Flags employees were called back then) would note the time, attraction name and then initial. The guest could not use the pass at that attraction again for two hours.

The thing I have a difficult time getting over is that Disney actually gave these cards to people like that. They didn't seem to even try to regulate it sometimes. And yet I remember getting stopped because my GAC was scrutinized so well at a ride. Maybe there was some tension between ride CMs and Guest Services CMs over the issue? Like one could see the blatant abuse and the other just enabled it. Or maybe it was just a matter of not having very good rules governing its denial. Like the CM in this thread said: people complained and GS appeased.
This is going to be the issue. A good portion of the new DAS program seems dependent on CM enforcement of procedures that are also part of the GAC program. The CMs don't enforce those rules now, what makes anyone think that CMs will enforce these procedures under DAS?

I still didn't think the cheaters will be flooding GS next week. You'd have to be living under a rock not to know about the new policy. Disney's been using their media blitz to scare the cheaters away.
The thing about cheaters is that they know they are gaming the system, so they most certainly will try to continue cheating by testing the waters. They will be the ones making a huge scene when they don't get their way, and this is when we learn whether or Disney will enforce its policies or simply "grease the squeaky wheel."

I do think there will be a line of folks but that's mostly because of the added time it'll take to produce a photo card. It takes long enough to get a birthday button. I figure the time will equate more with getting an annual pass with a DVC discount. There's a conversation to prove you qualify for the discount, then payment and printing the pass with the name spelled correctly. When I get APs at Colonial Williamsburg they take a photo of you. That process takes a little bit because they don't always line the camera setup right or have other technical issues. Factor those two kinds of processes together and you have a good 10-15 minutes per person. Mostly it'll be people who are definitely qualifying or borderline seeking the pass. The flat out cheaters won't last long enough in the line to wait.
Depending on the length of the line, this could be a big deterrent (moreso at DLR, since the abuse comes almost entirely from locals, who would only be able to get the DAS one day at a time).

It'll be interesting to see what happens at GS on Wednesday. I really just want to go to be a fly on the wall more than test the system for myself. (My vacation will be ending so it doesn't really matter by then.)
I really really want to be there. I used to love watching the show Airline, because watching people make a scene when they are entirely in the wrong is really entertaining.

fosse76

ok jimbo, some of can't afford a month at Disney, you obviously can according to your post, but you still have problems with people with disabilities? lol!!!! I think we are getting a better picture of entitlement vs. empathy....i got it... how dare these "people" take away from my experience....the more i read "you guys" want the disabled to just stay home and not interfere with your magic! Not gonna happen Jimbo! maybe think about taking your kids to china or somewhere else where disabililties are note recognized
If stamina were a qualification for DAS or GAC, then everyone in the parks would qualify, since everyone has different levels of stamina with wich they are able to experience the park.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I just read this on a different board, and hope that it isn't true:

While each situation will be handled individually at Guest Relations, following are two examples of accommodations that could be offered based on a guests needs:
  • For a guest whose disability enables them to be in the park for only a limited time, the guest might be offered an accommodation that enables them to use the DAS Card in conjunction with access to a number of attractions without having to obtain a return time.
  • Another potential accommodation, based on a guests unique needs, might include providing access to a favorite attraction multiple times in a row without having to obtain a return time.
If true, there isn't any reason to change anything, because in a few months, the word will go out about exactly what to say at GR to get the FOTL pass again. I hope Disney does NOT allow this to happen.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The writing is already on the wall that those who are going to go through the lengths to demand some sort of 'FOTL' access are going to get it. Be it those in need, or abusers... through some form it sounds like Disney is going to accommodate their 'requests'.

The only hope is the system reduces the total number who go to that length.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward

While each situation will be handled individually at Guest Relations, following are two examples of accommodations that could be offered based on a guests needs:
  • For a guest whose disability enables them to be in the park for only a limited time, the guest might be offered an accommodation that enables them to use the DAS Card in conjunction with access to a number of attractions without having to obtain a return time.
  • Another potential accommodation, based on a guests unique needs, might include providing access to a favorite attraction multiple times in a row without having to obtain a return time.
If true, there isn't any reason to change anything, because in a few months, the word will go out about exactly what to say at GR to get the FOTL pass again. I hope Disney does NOT allow this to happen.
I have no problem with this as long as there is a limit. FOTL for a few hours only and then your pass is cut off for the day or a certain number of rides in a row and that is it for the day.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I have no problem with this as long as there is a limit. FOTL for a few hours only and then your pass is cut off for the day or a certain number of rides in a row and that is it for the day.
I would not have a major problem if they can ENFORCE a limit. Though I do not see why anyone should be able to ride, say, Peter Pans Flight, 10 times in a row, probably before anyone else has ridden once if the standby line is long. That needs to go away completely, as it is simply not fair. If you let even ONE person do it, then you have to let anyone who says they have the same condition to do it as well, and there we go, right back to where we started. That information will be all over the internet in a day.

Just so everyone knows. My wife has severe mobility issues that prevent us from spending more than a few hours a day in a park, unless we get her a wheelchair. That limits (as many here know), how many attractions, and which ones, we get to visit during a particular day. Someone going to GR and saying that my child can never wait in any line, and wants to go on Space Mountain 10 times in a row, should simply NOT be allowed to do so. I'm really sorry that people here do not understand that EVERYONE has certain issues. Anyone that thinks their child should be allowed better/faster/more access because of condition xyz is part of the problem, and needs to give up their entitlement mentality.

JerseyDad

...if that's the case (and this type of access is available in some form or another) ...I would guess then, that Disney cannot deny them ...nor (as we have learned) ask about the condition that the person has to justify said accommodation. Seems to me that as soon as a system is formulated ...someone else will be there trying to side-step it.

But, if such a "premium" access is allowed ...there needs to be some form of medical documentation required ...because it's so incredibly above the 'usual & customary" access that's provided.

BaconPancakes

I knew it...

flynnibus

Premium Member
But, if such a "premium" access is allowed ...there needs to be some form of medical documentation required ...because it's so incredibly above the 'usual & customary" access that's provided.

again.. no

If Disney offers it to them on the basis of an accommodation for a disability - they can't require proof. If they offer it as a courtesy on the basis of a disability... they open themselves to challenges from others with the same type of limitations to say that is the reasonable accommodation they deserve as well.

If they make the determination at all based on providing an accommodation for a protected disability.. they're screwed.

natatomic

For what it's worth, I just asked a GR CM next to me in the breakroom if he has heard this, and he said no, that the only additional accommodations being made are for the GKTW and MAW kids, and they'll get their special pass, not the DAS card.

We'll find out here soon enough though.

flynnibus

Premium Member
For what it's worth, I just asked a GR CM next to me in the breakroom if he has heard this, and he said no, that the only additional accommodations being made are for the GKTW and MAW kids, and they'll get their special pass, not the DAS card.

We'll find out here soon enough though.

Right in the letter from 'Meg' they say they will continue to make individual accommodations as necessary. That right there is enough to let you know they are going to make exceptions beyond the standard offering. The question is if they will offer MORE... or just different things.

natatomic

Right in the letter from 'Meg' they say they will continue to make individual accommodations as necessary. That right there is enough to let you know they are going to make exceptions beyond the standard offering. The question is if they will offer MORE... or just different things.

Yeah, but that could be something as simple as giving a DAS card to a person in a wheelchair despite not having other needs, maybe the parent being the one in the picture instead of the kids if the kid has autism and struggles with having his photo taken, or writing out a card for a family larger than 6.

Mr Bill

This is true, although it sounds like this will be offered far less than the "Golden Ticket" GACs. We'll find out soon enough.

Tom Morrow

The success of this absolutely depends on Disney / GR not caving in to complainers. If the same situation eventually happens again and masses of people start having some alternate form of FOTL, we'll be in the same situation the GAC has developed into now, and in that case I think everyone else needs to raise their voice and complain.

But for now, I'll keep my fingers crossed that the self-entitled complainers won't get what they want.

Goofyernmost

Even if they limit the number of times that someone can get up front (I'm talking about those with real disability problems) justifying the need to ride it over and over and over will be fairly difficult to do. That should cut down on a lot of problems right there. I doubt that people with "real" disabilities are abusing that very much anyway. They really want to get to see everything and not spend their limited time doing the same thing repeatedly. For those with children that will only do the one ride, you lose my sympathy. I had a daughter that only wanted to ride Pirates over and over. Guess what, she couldn't, she survived. That means that it more clearly targets the abusers then the legitimates. That alone should be a good sized improvement. To all those CM's out there...hope you have a good day and that Disney will backed you up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom