GAC to Become DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkerton

Banned
I imagine the criteria for getting a DAS card will be a lot more stringent than simply saying "I get tired out quickly". For instance, a guest with cancer who undergoes chemotherapy has significantly less stamina than a normal person. 2-3 hours outside may be enough to reach their maximum and risk passing out or collapsing in public.

I seriously doubt the GAC abusers used "I get tired out quickly" because that would have warranted the "get a wheelchair" response from the CM. I imagine the low-life scum would have used one of the invisible disabilities like:

BroganMc

I seriously doubt the GAC abusers used "I get tired out quickly" because that would have warranted the "get a wheelchair" response from the CM. I imagine the low-life scum would have used one of the invisible disabilities like:

Really rheumatoid arthritis is considered an "invisible" disability? I keep forgetting they have so many better treatments for it today. When I was diagnosed with JRA back in the 70's it was a prescription for joint deformity and disability (what happened to me). They had such crap medical treatments then.

I can see ADHD and Anxiety Disorder being abused easily. But how does "Food Allergy" affect one's ability to wait in line? And there are two mentions of depression: Depression and Major Depression. You'd think being in the Happiest Place on Earth would counteract those two. (Sorry being facetious there.)

From what I hear "autistic" was a frequently used buzzword.

I'm guessing with how the literature is written explaining the new program emphasizing the mainstreaming of wheelchairs and mobility access in queues, they'll be a lot more stringent when it comes to requests for a DAS on physical concerns alone. No more passes for guys showing up in leg braces or ladies saying their pregnancy made them tired. I expect we'll see less people getting a pass on the grounds of a broken foot.

BaconPancakes

Oh no! You'll only be able to ride the same amount as everyone else now instead of significantly more!

I wish I could have liked this twice.

I still can't wrap my head around those who say they must have immediate access to every attraction because their child will have a meltdown if they can't go on "right now". How do you deal with lines in the every day world such as the grocery store? Also how do you deal if the child has a meltdown and wants to buy every toy they see at WDW? Do you buy it? Or what if your child is hungry "right now", do you bypass the lines at CS? You can't cherry pick what you can and can't wait in line for. But this is just my opinion of course.

natatomic

I posted this somewhere before, but once when I was in the greeter position in front of a very popular e-ticket attraction, a woman showed me her Alt. Entrance- stamped GAC and said, "My husband got this because he wobbles when he stands too long. We get to go through fast pass right?"

If wobbling doesn't get you the wheelchair stamp, very little else will either.

(This was at a park that utilizes the wheelchair stamp, too, so it's not like they could only get the Alt Entrance stamp at this particular park.)

Last edited:

JerseyDad

invisibledisabilities_zps11d08429.jpg

Really rheumatoid arthritis is considered an "invisible" disability? I keep forgetting they have so many better treatments for it today. When I was diagnosed with JRA back in the 70's it was a prescription for joint deformity and disability (what happened to me). They had such crap medical treatments then.

I can see ADHD and Anxiety Disorder being abused easily. But how does "Food Allergy" affect one's ability to wait in line? And there are two mentions of depression: Depression and Major Depression. You'd think being in the Happiest Place on Earth would counteract those two. (Sorry being facetious there.)

From what I hear "autistic" was a frequently used buzzword.

I'm guessing with how the literature is written explaining the new program emphasizing the mainstreaming of wheelchairs and mobility access in queues, they'll be a lot more stringent when it comes to requests for a DAS on physical concerns alone. No more passes for guys showing up in leg braces or ladies saying their pregnancy made them tired. I expect we'll see less people getting a pass on the grounds of a broken foot.

......by quick count ....I saw about 45 afflictions on that list. So why is it that one seems to have taken center stage as the "worst" ...and that all changes to "the system" need to cater specifically to it?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
invisibledisabilities_zps11d08429.jpg

......by quick count ....I saw about 45 afflictions on that list. So why is it that one seems to have taken center stage as the "worst" ...and that all changes to "the system" need to cater specifically to it?

So being Lactose Intolerant means you need GAC?

Why would a narcoleptic need one? They'll just go to sleep in the attraction anyway.

Diabetus? Really.

Food allergies?

IBS? When you got to go...you got to go.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
....no "what if's" ......I bet you could do a pie-chart with all those listed ...and everyone gets a slice.
So why aren't they in here moaning that their golden pass has been taken away like the wheelchair and autism people?

JerseyDad

So why aren't they in here moaning that their golden pass has been taken away like the wheelchair and autism people?

....because ...as unsympathetic as it may sound (as if I could care less about that) ...autism is "in" right now. Just like there was a certain social 'status' of acceptance in the late 70's & early 80's when everyone was on some form of a tranquilizer like Valium ....or the boom in Prozac gobblers in the 90's ....being on the "spectrum" is the go-to phrase these days.

Because the system that's going in place will involve some planning and or thought about where to go and how to "kill time" between attractions, I think they are completely enveloped in an angry fog of revoked entitlement because their golden ticket is going bye-bye. Of the two factions that you mentioned ....one has been more vociferous than the other ...because even ADA rules are not good enough for them.

pddmom

....because ...as unsympathetic as it may sound (as if I could care less about that) ...autism is "in" right now. Just like there was a certain social 'status' of acceptance in the late 70's & early 80's when everyone was on some form of a tranquilizer like Valium ....or the boom in Prozac gobblers in the 90's ....being on the "spectrum" is the go-to phrase these days.

Because the system that's going in place will involve some planning and or thought about where to go and how to "kill time" between attractions, I think they are completely enveloped in an angry fog of revoked entitlement because their golden ticket is going bye-bye. Of the two factions that you mentioned ....one has been more vociferous than the other ...because even ADA rules are not good enough for them.
I will agree with you, you are unsympathetic, and it scares me that you have anything to do with kids with disabilities in the school system. You seem to have a very negative attitude, which is not what I would expect from someone who claims to deal with kids with disabilities, disturbing. I would agree with you again that there has been a lot of whining from a faction here, but not from those with disabilities, but mostly from the people who seem to be getting what they want. I would also say to those that make comments that are less than appropriate, or verge on insulting, shame on you. Abuse of the system is of course disgusting and no one wants that but the abusers, but some of you are just as blatantly disgusting in your comments about disabled people!! People that actually need assistance! So disheartening! I am sure your kids are so proud of you (only some of you) that yell disparaging comments to the disabled. Role models! Walt would be proud! and you say, to my suggestion that rides per day should be offered, accept your limitations! what i have to say to that can not be said here. bottom line, it is not nice, you have no empathy, i, and many others like me, are not asking for more or front of the line, but you are the angry ones, and then chastise us when we respond. Ridiculous, immature and I am sure any of you would cower if ever really confronted outside the internet like our children are daily!

pddmom

Um, I have traveled with plenty of people that can only handle limited time in the parks (2-3 hours).

You know what they did, reeled in their expectations. No matter the disability, one should not EXPECT to be able to to an entire theme park in several hours. We have extended vacations out to 10+ days to make sure that these members of out group were able to have a fulfilling time. Sometimes, those with disabilities must be willing yo accept the fact that you will have to accommodate as well.
ok jimbo, some of can't afford a month at Disney, you obviously can according to your post, but you still have problems with people with disabilities? lol!!!! I think we are getting a better picture of entitlement vs. empathy....i got it... how dare these "people" take away from my experience....the more i read "you guys" want the disabled to just stay home and not interfere with your magic! Not gonna happen Jimbo! maybe think about taking your kids to china or somewhere else where disabililties are note recognized

pddmom

I am new here and have already said that I am in favor of the DAS, but people on here....what they don't know..is a lot!

loboftbl

ok jimbo, some of can't afford a month at Disney, you obviously can according to your post, but you still have problems with people with disabilities? lol!!!! I think we are getting a better picture of entitlement vs. empathy....i got it... how dare these "people" take away from my experience....the more i read "you guys" want the disabled to just stay home and not interfere with your magic! Not gonna happen Jimbo! maybe think about taking your kids to china or somewhere else where disabililties are note recognized
What everyone wants is a fair system....not one with unequal access. Is it ok for a family with a GAC(real, fake or whatever need) to ride lets say Pooh 4 times while I am still in line for once? No one is saying keep the disabled kids at home. Disney has even acknowledged the rise in use of GAC by everyone is the reason it is ending. The only people I read getting upset are the ones losing the golden ticket.

PhotoDave219

If you read their blog they are traveler the woman writes about her trip to Italy in the same month she went to Disney and the Guy has pictures of him out sailing and mountain biking in the days leading up to Disney. It also seems the only people who pose for photos like this with the GAC are abusers. At least according to Google.

...they are also not very smart...as they have names that are clearly able to be read on the passes in those pictures.

We need better guests.

thelookingglass

Disney has even acknowledged the rise in use of GAC by everyone is the reason it is ending.
Yep, all anyone needed to do was idly observe a Fastpass entrance on a moderate to busy day. GAC, GAC, GAC, FP, GAC, FP, GAC. It's disgusting.

But it ends in 4 days. Hooray!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom