GAC to Become DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkerton

Banned
Unfortunately this was the exact same flaw in the old GAC program. The only way a wheelchair non-transfer guest could get into those wheelchair car lines was to have a special stamp putting them there. Then the cheaters found out about it and Disney gave it out willy nilly to everyone. Had they simply limited that GAC to guests who "could not transfer" then we wouldn't have seen so many abusers and miracle walkers at the loading bays.
Disney knows this and I am confident by the time all is said and done, those who cannot transfer will be granted GAC-type passes again (at least on those rides that require you to wait on a wheelchair accessible ride vehicle).

cmellito

This new program will not work..Hershey Park has this also. So after I get a return time what am I supposed to do with my autistic child who can't wait in lines? Are we supposed to walk around and do nothing and then come back for our for return time? All the rides will have waits, so we can't go to another ride.

flynnibus

Premium Member
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/disney-parks-disability-access-service-card-fact-sheet/
  • What will Disney Parks do if a Guest is concerned the DAS Card doesn’t meet their needs?
    Disney Parks have long recognized and accommodated guests with varying needs and will continue to work individually with guests with disabilities to provide assistance that is responsive to their unique circumstances. Guests should visit Guest Relations to discuss their individual needs.
I wonder how long till the new 'code phrases' are widely circulated so people know what to say to get the 'special' treatment.. :/

flynnibus

Premium Member
also interesting.. is Disney flat out admitting the abuse problem

" Disney Parks also hopes it will help control abuse that was, unfortunately, widespread and growing at an alarming rate"

So much for all those who tried to deny the problem existed.
"Why doesn’t Disney Parks ask for proof of disability, such as a doctor’s note?Disney Parks takes Guests at their word and there are legal restrictions around asking for proof"

I also like they finally mentioned this as well. I don't know how often we can say it, but maybe the dense now will start to accept it.

IWantMyMagicBand

What are the restrictions on storing guest data? It will be interesting to see how the actual registration process will work, and how the information will be stored, and if the technology would be an online system that could flag abusers if they use different excuses.
I'd like to see how someone would be challenged.

"Disney Parks takes guests at their word"...... Isn't this how they got in this mess to start with?!?!?

BroganMc

Once you go up the stairs it is a matter of probably 5-7 minutes. It is quick from there. Just one switchback and down the other set of stairs to the load area.

Oh if only that's how long it really took. Just for kicks I timed my trip thru TSM today. From starting up the ramp to boarding my vehicle time was 20 mins and 47 seconds. Fortunately there were only two wheelchairs in front of me, both transfers and they pulled up an 8 seater to load both parties. That was actually a good wait. Usually I'm on the third car if I see that many wheelchairs ahead of me.

I counted How many guests made it up and down the staircase to load by the time I got on: 203.

They were busy today. Standby was 80 mins when I went in. FPs were gone by 1pm when I arrived.

Had a nice conversation with the CMs about their new training. I asked if there were any special guidelines for folks like me. Nope. Still tweaking the system they told me.

They did have an issue with the tiedowns for my chair. Had to call maintenance for a new set. That delayed things a bit. So it was another 10:43 mins by the time I took off. Got back to a full wheelchair loading queue. The 6 person family me split up so 4 could ride with me. Their other 2 boarded my vehicle when it returned. Don't know why they didn't get on an alternating vehicle while we were out.

You have to remember when you're dealing with a nontransfer things always take longer... except if it is theatre seating.

Last edited:

natatomic

This new program will not work..Hershey Park has this also. So after I get a return time what am I supposed to do with my autistic child who can't wait in lines? Are we supposed to walk around and to do nothing and then come back for our for return time? All the rides will have waits, so we can't go to another ride.

No, not all rides have waits. There are many of rides that have consistently shorter waits. There are also plenty of shows to see. Also, you will still be able to plan out your three FPs a day, and since you can schedule those ahead of time (and since your DAS return times don't expire), you can easily work them all in together. So a day a Magic Kingdom: Choose your three regular FPs, get a return time with your DAS pass in between all of those, and mix all that up with a nearby show or two (Country Bears, Monsters Inc., etc.) and those less busy rides (TTC, Haunted Mansion, Pirates.

LucyK

This new program will not work..Hershey Park has this also. So after I get a return time what am I supposed to do with my autistic child who can't wait in lines? Are we supposed to walk around and to do nothing and then come back for our for return time? All the rides will have waits, so we can't go to another ride.
So you admit you used the GAC as a front of the line pass each and every time you went to WDW?

LucyK

• Does the DAS Cardholder have to be present to obtain a return time at an attraction?
    No. Another member of the DAS Cardholder’s travel party may obtain a return time but the DAS Cardholder must board the attraction with his or her party.

• Where do DAS Cardholders go to receive return times?At Disneyland Resort, guests will go to Guest Relations kiosks located throughout the parks to receive a return time. At Walt Disney World Resort, guests will go to the attraction to receive a return time.

This seems to respond to all who were wondering if their child would have a meltdown because they'd see IASW but not ride it immediately.

crispy

" Disney Parks also hopes it will help control abuse that was, unfortunately, widespread and growing at an alarming rate"

"Why doesn’t Disney Parks ask for proof of disability, such as a doctor’s note?Disney Parks takes Guests at their word and there are legal restrictions around asking for proof"

I also like they finally mentioned this as well. I don't know how often we can say it, but maybe the dense now will start to accept it.

They actually mentioned the abuse twice so they are definitely trying to emphasize it.

Makes me want to yell, "...and this is why we can't have nice things!" (That is a general we since I have never needed or used a GAC). Shame on people who abuse things like this.

BroganMc

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/disney-parks-disability-access-service-card-fact-sheet/
  • What will Disney Parks do if a Guest is concerned the DAS Card doesn’t meet their needs?
    Disney Parks have long recognized and accommodated guests with varying needs and will continue to work individually with guests with disabilities to provide assistance that is responsive to their unique circumstances. Guests should visit Guest Relations to discuss their individual needs.
I wonder how long till the new 'code phrases' are widely circulated so people know what to say to get the 'special' treatment.. :/
Given that the new program essentially Is just awarding you an extra FP, I doubt there is as much incentive to cheat. That should discourage abuse itself.

What I find fascinating is how folks think this will their standby times. Once DAS is in force and it still takes 90 mins to go thru TSM what will people complain about next? MagicBands probably. I can imagine the thread now with people saying "I saw these people with magic bracelets jump the line ahead of me. They didn't even have a FP ticket. Is this the new handicap program? I hear you have to pay for it then you get to go to the front of the line. It's not FAIR!"

IWantMyMagicBand

Given that the new program essentially Is just awarding you an extra FP, I doubt there is as much incentive to cheat. That should discourage abuse itself.

What I find fascinating is how folks think this will their standby times. Once DAS is in force and it still takes 90 mins to go thru TSM what will people complain about next? MagicBands probably. I can imagine the thread now with people saying "I saw these people with magic bracelets jump the line ahead of me. They didn't even have a FP ticket. Is this the new handicap program? I hear you have to pay for it then you get to go to the front of the line. It's not FAIR!"
You know, I think you're right. I know some people who stay offsite, rock up on the first day and buy park tickets. They don't research before they go. My mum is planning on going next year and hadn't even heard of fastpass. My travel agent didn't know about MM+ either! I had to give him a quick lesson!

WDWBrit

I am not so sure about this. Once FP+ rolls out and the paper FPs are withdrawn, the attraction of "unlimited Fastpass" that the DAS offers could spur even greater abuse.

Tom Morrow

Oh no! You'll only be able to ride the same amount as everyone else now instead of significantly more!

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR

I too wonder about how long before guests find a way to abuse the new system also.

But to answer your question Disney cannot by law ask for proof of a disability. It is written into the law nobody can ask you to prove you are disabled before granting accommodations.

Having a disability, I am hearing impaired, I volunteer information about myself and make suggestions, it is information that makes it easier for them to accommodate. I've been an elected official for years but when I attend other meetings I give them a heads up. They accommodate me, I accommodate them, so I give them info about me and tell them to please ask if they need more details. My DD is hypoglycemic but school nurses could not 'share' confidential medical info. My solution for this was to email all the staff she comes in contact with and share her condition and the to do's and not to do's so they have a clue to what they are dealing with. I can volunteer information, they cannot ask for it, but they are required to accommodate even if I don't volunteer information.

When I am the empress of the World, my law would be similar to a disability parking pass/plate. At our DMV you have to Prove with Doctors orders and diagnosis why you need disability parking. Only once every few years do you have to renew or temp for a few months if situation will change. Nobody else can borrow your pass.

My idea of a disability accommodation will have a scan bar for details on specific accommodations needed without having to reshare with businesses your health information. Not too many Doc's will put in writing they are confined to a wheelchair, stroller, EVC if that is not the case. This would work for autism too because it would be the same accommodations for school or themepark. Either they are inclusion or not in a gen ed classroom. If a child cannot go on field trips due to stamina issues, be out of their chair or stroller in a lunch line then obviously they shouldn't at Disney either. If at school they can be in a general ed classroom with 25 or so people around them and have the endurance to go a full school day that would be an indicator, if they are not in general ed and need constant accommodations, naps, etc., that would be a different indicator. It would be the same for adults, what they can do at work would be the same as what they could do in a themepark. But our lawmakers need to adjust the laws like they did for parking passes before places like Disney can start to legally differentiate.

As a disabled person and a school board member I see 'some' parents play the disability so many different ways, the child needs ****** but oh no, he will be fine to go on the overnight trip to the Capitol. What? The flip flopping drives me batty.

Yensid1974

Disney knows this and I am confident by the time all is said and done, those who cannot transfer will be granted GAC-type passes again (at least on those rides that require you to wait on a wheelchair accessible ride vehicle).

I wouldn't count on that. They may make adjustments to the times you wait but I don't think they'll go back to front of line passes for the bulk of disabled guests ever again.

Tom Morrow

Yep, I am actually kind of surprised by this as well. I figured they would sugar coat it and continue to say "due to the growing number of requests for disabled access", etc. But nope, flat out admitted it. As they should have!

Pinkerton

Banned
Teach your child to wait? I sure wish I could teach my severely mentally and physically handicapped child to wait. Not going to happen but your child has it all. Do it!!

Pinkerton

Banned
You have to remember when you're dealing with a non-transfer things always take longer... except if it is theatre seating.
Again, as a father who has a wheelchair bound daughter who can't transfer, it will be only be a matter of time that Disney reverts back to a GAC-type pass for the truly disabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom