GAC to Become DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I just found this blog online this person brags about her misuse of the GAC. From poking around her blog she had a perfectly normal pregnancy.

Best part of being pregnant at Disney World? If you go to Guest Services and tell them, they give you a Guest Assistance Card. Flash that bad boy and it basically gets you to the front of every line!!

Here's another one. I just Googled Disney Guest Assistance card and stated looking a images.

I’ve wanted to go to Disneyland my entire life and was super curious about what were the best rides and attractions seek out. When we told the guys that we only had one day to experience the whole park they insisted that we use a common trick to avoid the crazy line-ups. They told us that if one of us wore a knee or ankle brace and went to City Hall on Main Street, USA in the park we would easily be given a special pass. Our friends assured us that it would be simple, easy and that people do it all the time. Enoch, one of Keith’s roommates lent Collin an ankle brace. Sure enough, Collin had a really easy time acquiring a Guest Assistance Card, or what we like to call our ‘Golden Ticket.’ There were several times we walked right past a couple hundred people waiting in line and went right to the front. We laughed a whole lot about it.

Last edited:

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Yep. Despicable people like that represent the a HUGE chunk of people using the cards.

I can't wait for these people to be told NO, finally.
If you read their blog they are traveler the woman writes about her trip to Italy in the same month she went to Disney and the Guy has pictures of him out sailing and mountain biking in the days leading up to Disney. It also seems the only people who pose for photos like this with the GAC are abusers. At least according to Google.

crispy

There are people on this forum who admitted it. There was one poster here (who seemed to be obsessed with Bon Jovi, cinnamon rolls, and DVC) who said he got a GAC because standing in line hurt his back. You know what? When I was a 100 pounds overweight, my legs hurt terribly after spending a day walking around Disney. I am sure front of the line access would have made my trips much easier, but since I was fat and not disabled, the idea of getting one never crossed my mind.

(Before my statements are taken out of context, I want to clarify that I am not saying that overweight people who use the GAC are faking. I realize that sometimes weight gain is a symptom of medical issues and not the cause. I am hypothyroid which initially caused weight gain, but most of my weight gain was from overeating plain and simple. Even though I am a normal weight now, I will always struggle with the compulsion to overeat.)

BroganMc

So in essence it is what we used to call regular fastpass before the new hyper-planner system went into effect?

A FastPass that requires one to submit to an inquisition and get a photo ID assuming they can endure the long line at Guest Relations in the morning. It went out the door at Hollywood Studios today around 5pm.

jrlbc06

A FastPass that requires one to submit to an inquisition and get a photo ID assuming they can endure the long line at Guest Relations in the morning. It went out the door at Hollywood Studios today around 5pm.

The line at guest relations will be no different than it was before DAS.In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it was shorter.

Explaining what accommodation you need is not an inquisition. It is the law.

If you are not willing to submit photo ID then too bad. It is a requirement of the accommodation. Your posts in this thread have degenerated into a litany of nitpicking over every little piece of this program that you are not even going to lose. I understand that you are nervous about how it will impact you. I encourage you to give the program a try before ripping it apart. I think you may find that you are pleasantly surprised by the decrease in number of guests in the wheelchair lines for the no-transfer cars. I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the more rapid pace at which the standby line will move without literally 30-40% of the fastpass line being filled with GAC users and their front-of-the line pass and multiple rides utilization. And I say this as a GAC user.

pddmom

I just found this blog online this person brags about her misuse of the GAC. From poking around her blog she had a perfectly normal pregnancy.

Best part of being pregnant at Disney World? If you go to Guest Services and tell them, they give you a Guest Assistance Card. Flash that bad boy and it basically gets you to the front of every line!!

Here's another one. I just Googled Disney Guest Assistance card and stated looking a images.

I’ve wanted to go to Disneyland my entire life and was super curious about what were the best rides and attractions seek out. When we told the guys that we only had one day to experience the whole park they insisted that we use a common trick to avoid the crazy line-ups. They told us that if one of us wore a knee or ankle brace and went to City Hall on Main Street, USA in the park we would easily be given a special pass. Our friends assured us that it would be simple, easy and that people do it all the time. Enoch, one of Keith’s roommates lent Collin an ankle brace. Sure enough, Collin had a really easy time acquiring a Guest Assistance Card, or what we like to call our ‘Golden Ticket.’ There were several times we walked right past a couple hundred people waiting in line and went right to the front. We laughed a whole lot about it.

pddmom

Wow, blatantly showing this off. I am disgusted by this, but please don't group us, people with real need, in with these people. By that I am speaking about the whole thread and not to the person who posted this.

pddmom

I think Disney should offer an alternative to the DAS for people who can only tolerate the parks for short periods. It would be to either get the DAS or something similar to the GAC but for a limited amount of rides, ie; 5. People could choose which based on their need. But the whole thing would need to be tied to a database so there is no double dipping.

bhg469

This was almost exactly how I heard about my wife's brother and their friend. They made me sick to my stomach. I just hope that one day their perfectly healthy children don't need one for real or they grow up to realize their parents are total trash.

luv

Wow, blatantly showing this off. I am disgusted by this, but please don't group us, people with real need, in with these people. By that I am speaking about the whole thread and not to the person who posted this.
Most of the people who got GACs and were cheating and only too happy to show off. It really was disgusting.

I don't think anyone is mixing up those who actually need it with those who just didn't feel like waiting.

I'm just sorry that those who truly need it lose out because of those who cheated. :(

I don't see these changes as a success. I see them as a big, fat failure and exactly what I feared when the cheaters were doing their thing. :(

I hope people like Julia Washburn are proud of themselves now that they've made life harder for those who already had it rough.

BroganMc

I think Disney should offer an alternative to the DAS for people who can only tolerate the parks for short periods. It would be to either get the DAS or something similar to the GAC but for a limited amount of rides, ie; 5. People could choose which based on their need. But the whole thing would need to be tied to a database so there is no double dipping.

Not a bad idea. I was thinking along the lines of something similar. You get X number of chances to use an alternate entrance in a day. Restrictions would have to apply for how long between visits if it's the same attraction too.

Not that it matters but I always tried to self regulate. If I did TSM twice in a day it was once in early afternoon and again in the later evening before I went home. My trips to TSM on NYE were always after midnight when the park closed except to resort guests.

Most of the people who got GACs and were cheating and only too happy to show off. It really was disgusting.

I don't think anyone is mixing up those who actually need it with those who just didn't feel like waiting.

I'm just sorry that those who truly need it lose out because of those who cheated. :(

I don't see these changes as a success. I see them as a big, fat failure and exactly what I feared when the cheaters were doing their thing. :(

I hope people like Julia Washburn are proud of themselves now that they've made life harder for those who already had it rough.

The thing I have a difficult time getting over is that Disney actually gave these cards to people like that. They didn't seem to even try to regulate it sometimes. And yet I remember getting stopped because my GAC was scrutinized so well at a ride. Maybe there was some tension between ride CMs and Guest Services CMs over the issue? Like one could see the blatant abuse and the other just enabled it. Or maybe it was just a matter of not having very good rules governing its denial. Like the CM in this thread said: people complained and GS appeased.

It's a sad state of affairs. I know I and my family always tried to handled it's use with great care and ethics.

I still didn't think the cheaters will be flooding GS next week. You'd have to be living under a rock not to know about the new policy. Disney's been using their media blitz to scare the cheaters away.

I do think there will be a line of folks but that's mostly because of the added time it'll take to produce a photo card. It takes long enough to get a birthday button. I figure the time will equate more with getting an annual pass with a DVC discount. There's a conversation to prove you qualify for the discount, then payment and printing the pass with the name spelled correctly. When I get APs at Colonial Williamsburg they take a photo of you. That process takes a little bit because they don't always line the camera setup right or have other technical issues. Factor those two kinds of processes together and you have a good 10-15 minutes per person. Mostly it'll be people who are definitely qualifying or borderline seeking the pass. The flat out cheaters won't last long enough in the line to wait.

It'll be interesting to see what happens at GS on Wednesday. I really just want to go to be a fly on the wall more than test the system for myself. (My vacation will be ending so it doesn't really matter by then.)

natatomic

The thing I have a difficult time getting over is that Disney actually gave these cards to people like that. They didn't seem to even try to regulate it sometimes. And yet I remember getting stopped because my GAC was scrutinized so well at a ride. Maybe there was some tension between ride CMs and Guest Services CMs over the issue? Like one could see the blatant abuse and the other just enabled it. Or maybe it was just a matter of not having very good rules governing its denial. Like the CM in this thread said: people complained and GS appeased.

It's a sad state of affairs. I know I and my family always tried to handled it's use with great care and ethics.

I think Disney had to because there was no way to prove who was faking and who wasn't. They couldn't ask for proof, and their only requirement was to hear those certain keywords: autism, claustrophobia, Downs, CP, sun sensitivity, lupus, MS. Obviously, some of those aren't at all physically noticeable, so it would not be a fun day in the GR office if you were the CM who tried to deny a GAC to someone who wasn't faking one of those disabilities (even if they genuinely seemed to be faking). Honestly, it wouldn't be a fun day if you were the CM who tried to deny a GAC to someone who WAS faking it, because you still couldn't prove they were faking, and there are plenty of guests who know that and could easily get more than just a GAC by accusing a CM of discrimination.

As for the Guest Relations CMs, I think they knew the crazy amount they were giving out first hand and knew it was probably an issue, but the ones that didn't have attractions backgrounds probably had no clue just how much the GACs were clogging up the line. And even if they did know, again, there wasn't much they could do about it. They can't deny them the card, but an attractions CM can at least look at the card to see if there is anything wrong with it and deny them access based on that.

JimboJones123

Um, I have traveled with plenty of people that can only handle limited time in the parks (2-3 hours).

You know what they did, reeled in their expectations. No matter the disability, one should not EXPECT to be able to to an entire theme park in several hours. We have extended vacations out to 10+ days to make sure that these members of out group were able to have a fulfilling time. Sometimes, those with disabilities must be willing yo accpet the fact that you will have to accomidate as well.

Wikkler

So basically if I have a disabled child, I can follow outdated touring plans or some crazy thing like that?

Pinkerton

Banned
If you read their blog they are traveler the woman writes about her trip to Italy in the same month she went to Disney and the Guy has pictures of him out sailing and mountain biking in the days leading up to Disney. It also seems the only people who pose for photos like this with the GAC are abusers. At least according to Google.

Can you post a link to her blog?

BroganMc

Um, I have traveled with plenty of people that can only handle limited time in the parks (2-3 hours).

You know what they did, reeled in their expectations. No matter the disability, one should not EXPECT to be able to to an entire theme park in several hours. We have extended vacations out to 10+ days to make sure that these members of out group were able to have a fulfilling time. Sometimes, those with disabilities must be willing yo accpet the fact that you will have to accomidate as well.

I am a DVC Member (which allows me to afford longer stays on property throughout the year) and have an Annual Pass for that very reason. Long gone are the days I felt like I needed to be in a park 8-10 hours to justify the price of my ticket.

I think the issue with stamina concerns is not every guest has the ability to afford DVC or return throughout the year. In parks that have limited accessibility, they offer financial discounts on day tickets to disabled guests. That way even if they can only manage a few things they don't feel like they've overpaid for the experience. I doubt Disney wants to go down that route. So instead they chose the enable the disabled to maximize their time as much as possible.

The return time ticket will allow those guests to take in another attraction without a significant wait while being in the virtual queue for another. It just also allows them to accommodate for not being able to participate fully in the FP system by getting to a park early enough to grab one.

For instance, I was unable to get to Hollywood Studios yesterday until 1pm. (That's a frequent thing for me.) By then the FPs for TSM were long gone. With the current GAC system I spent less time waiting to experience TSM which allowed me to also experience Muppets 3D and Beauty and the Beast. With a return time ticket under the new DAS program, I'd be able to stop at TSM for a time then go to Muppets. Beauty has a hard start time so I'd work my return time TSM around that, maybe going to Beauty first or after. It changes the order in which I do things but the result is the same.

An issue for stamina guests who are ambulatory is all the extra walking around to get return times. That in itself is an added burden to a guest with special needs. They may find it too hard to go to TSM then Muppets then Beauty and all the way back to TSM. (Yes I know some able-bodied folks will think "Hey my feet get tired too" but we're talking about folks with dramatically limited stamina. Most able-bodied people can handle at least 8 hours in a park. Many do 10-12. A stamina-limited person can manage maybe 4-5 before their health dramatically deteriorates.) Disney wants all guests to get their money's worth from a park ticket by accommodating the special need to get it done quickly. It's the same as Extra Magic Hours helps resort guests have an opportunity to enjoy attractions they may be unable to when the day crowd takes over. Difference being some guests are unable to utilize these because their conditions prohibit early mornings or late nights.

I imagine the criteria for getting a DAS card will be a lot more stringent than simply saying "I get tired out quickly". For instance, a guest with cancer who undergoes chemotherapy has significantly less stamina than a normal person. 2-3 hours outside may be enough to reach their maximum and risk passing out or collapsing in public.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom