GAC to Become DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerseyDad

I really wish I could have read those comments before she disabled them on the GAC videos...

......you're not missing much. Ever see ANY Charlie Brown cartoon where the teacher is talking to them?

......that's what it sounded like: "Waap Waap Waa Waa Waap Waap Waaaaaaaaa"...but ...with less intelligent content.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
To be fair, she even does have a few good points. I understand that autistic children will get fixated on a ride, especially if they see it, and don't understand that they can't ride it right then. Which is why it seems like Disneyland's "kiosk" method would work better than requiring someone in the party to walk to the attraction to get a return time. But this was literally day one of the new procedures, and its going to take time and trial and error to find something that works best. But rather than even attempt to try out the new system or voice her concerns to Disney in a professional manner, she immediately threw her arms in the air and said its horrible and went the "I want attention so I'm taking this to the media!" and "I want compensation and free stuff!" route.
Tom, not directed at you personally. So what happens when that ride they are fixated on is in refurb during their vacation? What do you tell them? What if you didn't do your research beforehand, and don't find out that it's closed down before you get there? Oh wait, I know. They'll be going to GR to complain that their vacation is ruined, and they need some sort of compensation to make up for it. :rolleyes:

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Apparently she's now bragging that she "won" because Disney awarded her 33 fastpasses. Oh and her videos are now private.

Bragging, how disappointing. Disney stated that they will retain customer DAS data. Wonder what will come up on CMs screen the next time she wants FPs. No doubt Disney legal and Executives are following her adventure.
If true, (33 fastpasses are a lot to collect) Disney's likely contemplating an adjustment to the FP allowance all together since they have a quick slap in the face that demonstrates just how far some parents are willing to go to abuse the new system.

Wonder if she gave thought that the bragging of 33 fastpasses might just kill the FP allotment for children like her son? And this is considered Saintly by some, go figure. I further ponder, how does anyone that severely disabled have the endurance to use 33 FPs in a day? She just might have demonstrated the opposite, more the lack of need of special service FP's.

The one thing she did prove is Disney needs to make very timely adjustments, if a guest can obtain 33 FPs in a day the system needs major tweaking, they didn't obviously anticipate the antics of some parents. And it will only take a few to corrupt the system for the well intentioned.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Well Disney gave her the 33 passes so they knows exactly what's up. The question is is what will they do in the future when people like this keep complaining and won't give up.

Disney is still showing they don't or won't say no. With people like this woman who think they deserve this they will just keep pushing Disney will keep bending and will be back where we were before.

daisyduckie

As someone else said, I can't believe this woman is publicly "wishing" autistic children on anyone who disagrees with her. She is not saying it as an encouragement to others to stand in her shoes, but merely as an insult, as though an autistic child is a "curse" to be wished on enemies. Knowing (and loving) several autistic children of friends and family, it makes my blood boil. A statement like that is more insulting to children with autism than any change to a disability assistance program could ever be.

Which just goes to show her true character. And that she is out to make herself look like a victim. Poor me, I have to chase after my child through the park and look at my phone. Wah wah. She is disgusting.

natatomic

Analogy time :)
Imagine you are eating liver and brussel sprouts every day (sorry to anyone who likes liver and brussel sprouts) except for Sundays where you are allowed to eat chocolate cake. Everyone around you eats chicken every day (seems like a good choice for normal). You are getting a raw deal 6 days out of the week and a great deal on Sundays. But now someone comes along and says Sundays you need to eat chicken like everyone else. You now have 6 days of Brussel Sprouts and 1 day of chicken. To the people you are eating with on Sunday, that seems fair, but you know how much the rest of your week is going to suck. So, you are upset.

Disney was a place where people living hard lives got to get special treatment for a few days or a week. And people are losing something that was a huge gift to them. We all lost our chocolate cake, so they are going to be ed whether their Sundays are fair or not. This is not to say the outcry is correct. But I do think it is understandable during this transition period.

Finally, just to protect myself for the 16th time in this thread. I am not against the change, I understand the need for it. I'm just trying to give a glimpse into the mental state of those affected by it.

This is a terrible analogy, because it assumes that the autistic child/person (eating liver) knows what it is like to be non-autistic (i.e., knows what chicken tastes like). But in their mind, being autistic is just being. Just as you and I can never know what it is truly like to be autistic, they don't know what it's like to not. For each of us, our way of being is our own personal normal. There are even sets of little people and deaf people who use IVF to up the chances of having little/deaf children. It's a normal way of life for them that they want to pass on to their children. To those of us who are average height and hearing, we can't fathom that there might be some good that comes from these "disabilities." Obviously autism is hard on the family, but to the autistic child, they simply don't know any other way to be. They don't know what chicken tastes like. Nor do non-autistic people know what liver tastes like. Who is to say which one tastes "better?"

Beyond that, you keep acting like Autism is the worst thing in the world that could possibly happen to anyone, thus they "deserve" better treatment than anyone. I agree they might need help and special accessibility, but sweetheart, we ALL have our crosses to bear, and who are you or I to decide who deserves to be treated BETTER? My father went to prison for child p*rnography 10 years ago; he lost our house, our family business, and all our money. We had to move away from our home town because of how much people talked. They all assumed I had been abused (I wasn't), and all of my friends' parents assumed their kids had been abused whenever they had come over to my house (they weren't). But my mom and I might as well have had the plague, because no one came around to help us out. I never was able to finish college because there was just no money left (my dad had severe credit card debt that we didn't know about, and since my parents were divorced and I was the only child, guess who they called all hours of the night trying to get the money they were owed?) We had no choice to to start our lives completely over.

I'm not telling you this for your pity - I'm not looking for pity or special treatment or whatever, though of course it would have been nice to have a trip to Disney with unlimited access to rides to escape the heck I went through - but who are you to say who has it hardest? Just as there are "hidden disabilities," there are also "hidden struggles." My entire life was affected by my father's terrible decision, and while I have since forgiven him as he continues to pay his debt to society, and I have been able to pick up the pieces of what little life I had left and rebuild, my life has been forever altered and changed, and it has not been easy.

And even then, there are children who ARE abused in various ways. There are children who are starving. There are orphans. There are kids born with disfigurations. These are all very real struggles that can affect them for their entire lives, yet none of these on a trip to Disney qualifies them for any sort of GAC/DAS. Do they not also "deserve" better treatment?

Bottom line, life is not fair. And just because not all of us have autistic children does not mean that our lives are all rainbows and unicorns. So please don't tell us that one set of people deserve better treatment than others when you don't know the struggles of ANYONE else but your own.

Last edited:

asianway

Well Disney gave her the 33 passes so they knows exactly what's up. The question is is what will they do in the future when people like this keep complaining and won't give up.

Disney is still showing they don't or won't say no. With people like this woman who think they deserve this they will just keep pushing Disney will keep bending and will be back where we were before.
Flynn, did you have the over or under on this one?

Gomer

This is a terrible analogy, because it assumes that the autistic child/person (eating liver) knows what it is like to be non-autistic (i.e., knows what chicken tastes like). But in their mind, being autistic is just being. Just as you and I can never know what it is truly like to be autistic, they don't know what it's like to not. For each of us, our way of being is our own personal normal. There are even sets of little people and deaf people who use IVF to up the chances of having little/deaf children. It's a normal way of life for them that they want to pass on to their children. To those of us who are average height and hearing, we can't fathom that there might be some good that comes from these "disabilities." Obviously autism is hard on the family, but to the autistic child, they simply don't know any other way to be. They don't know what chicken tastes like. Nor do non-autistic people know what liver tastes like. Who is to say which one tastes "better?"

Beyond that, you keep acting like Autism is the worst thing in the world that could possibly happen to anyone, thus they "deserve" better treatment than anyone. I agree they might need help and special accessibility, but sweetheart, we ALL have our crosses to bear, and who are you or I to decide who deserves to be treated BETTER? My father went to prison for child p*rnography 10 years ago; he lost our house, our family business, and all our money. We had to move away from our home town because of how much people talked. They all assumed I had been abused (I wasn't), and all of my friends' parents assumed their kids had been abused whenever they had come over to my house (they weren't). But my mom and I might as well have had the plague, because no one came around to help us out. I never was able to finish college because there was just no money left (my dad had severe credit card debt that we didn't know about, and since my parents were divorced and I was the only child, guess who they called all hours of the night trying to get the money they were owed?) We had no choice to to start our lives completely over.

I'm not telling you this for your pity - I'm not looking for pity or special treatment or whatever, though of course it would have been nice to have a trip to Disney with unlimited access to rides to escape the heck I went through - but who are you to say who has it hardest? Just as there are "hidden disabilities," there are also "hidden struggles." My entire life was affected by my father's terrible decision, and while I have since forgiven him as he continues to pay his debt to society, and I have been able to pick up the pieces of what little life I had left and rebuild, my life has been forever altered and changed, and it has not been easy.

And even then, there are children who ARE abused in various ways. There are children who are starving. There are orphans. There are kids born with disfigurations. These are all very real struggles that can affect them for their entire lives, yet none of these on a trip to Disney qualifies them for any sort of GAC/DAS. Do they not also "deserve" better treatment?

Bottom line, life is not fair. And just because not all of us have autistic children does not mean that our lives are all rainbows and unicorns. So please don't tell us that one set of people deserve better treatment than others when you don't know the struggles of ANYONE else but your own.

First, you misinterpreted my intent and analogy. The analogy was to express the lack of accommodations to disability in every day life vs the previous accommodations made during GAC. There was no comparison of struggles. If you read on in the thread, you will see that I already addressed that with another poster who took my post the same way you did.

Secondly, you may be confusing me with another poster, but I never expressed any opinions that Autism was the worst thing in the world to happen. Quite the contrary, i am one of those who believes it has some positives and some negatives. But there are a great many struggles for Autistic people in a world not built for them. Those struggles are what I was referring to.

Finally, if you read any of my posts, it would be clear that I am not in favor of special treatment and that I support the change from GAC to DAS.

I'm sorry for your personal struggles, but I think you may have projected some intent onto my posts that was not there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom