GAC to Become DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

NowInc

I think people, especially parents of disabled children, are upset because until now Disney allowed a better situation for their children than the real world. I've said it before, but I'll say it again just to be careful. I am not opposed to the changes. I think they were a necessary evil. It is upsetting that it came to this, but I understand why it is being done and will change the way I vacation accordingly because I do not feel entitled to the previous system. However, that doesn't mean the previous system didn't have its benefits.

People on here ask how my son would handle the TSA line? He doesn't. It sucks. (So does the grocery store, traffic, waiting rooms, and any other piece of mundane life that requires waiting. The GAC program gave parents a respite from that. A place where the needs of the disabled was put ahead of all else. It was a wonderful thing for people who had to fight so much to get through their daily lives to have a place where they didn't have to face those same struggles. The system was so embraced that certain disabilities had started to use it as therapy. Yes, I’ve done Pooh 3 times in a row on GAC before, but only as a reward because my son had shown so much patience in waiting for IASW just before. It was used as a responsible reinforcer to show ( in his terms) the benefits of showing patience ( a great struggle for those with autism). Unfortunately not all people used the GAC responsibly. Even those with real physical or mental disabilities. I always restrained our use, because the deal was too good to be true. I knew that this would happen someday and I didn't want my son to row dependent on the card.

From my point of view, the GAC was never about allowing disabled people to equal the access of normal life. It was a gift to those who face such intense struggles everywhere else from a company that historically gone the extra mile for people who need it (be it an upset guest with a QC issue, or someone with a disability). It was a useful tool for therapy and education. Something that could be used responsibly to enrich the lives of those who could reap its benefits. But, that was destroyed by those who couldn't restrain themselves from using it too much and abusers who had no right to be using it at all.
Anyway, gone on too long. Point was, there were valid uses for the access. And yes. people could do something else, and they do face these issues in everyday life. But for a time they didn't have to at WDW. Some people react to that with sadness as I do. Others lash out, but will eventually calm down. Others may stop going completely. In the end, it couldn't be avoided forever. Not with the ever increasing incidence of disability in this country ( and not all from over diagnosis as some may have you believe). There are just too many of us and too many abusers for the system to function as it did before.

First off..thank you for your reply :) Its always easier to read a post without name calling or childish accusations..

Second..I see your side and I can see how it can be frustrating to those used to the system. The issue a few are seeing is the fact that the GAC (by some peoples definitions) was intended to give those who need it an EQUAL experience (meaning filling in the difficulties one would have going to WDW if it didn't exist), and not one that makes it better than anyone elses. Personally, I see both points of view and am sympathetic all around. I can see why to everybody else, it seems unfair, but at the same time I can COMPLETELY understand the flip side, the people who need it and how its helped them achieve something that would otherwise be impossible.

In the end, I don't think anyone disagrees with the abuse and the problems it caused. Something had to be done, and sacrifices sadly had to be made in order to preserve the guest experiences from all around (and to those who dispute on the fact that the GAC abuse was bad for everyone, ESPECIALLY those who had a valid need for them...I say they need to re-evaluate their though process).

The system kicks in tomorrow, and on their own site about it, it says it will require tweaking. I see them giving this a LOT of attention in the coming weeks in order to "find a balance" that works the best (although not an IDEAL system by any means).

JimboJones123

Thank you for this post, I think it is very respectful in everything but "If a family can't handle Disney without a GAC, maybe your family does not need to go". I am paraphrasing, but I do not agree. Because Disney has offered this many families have been going for years. My kids love it, I am not forcing them to do anything, as suggested by previous posts. And since we have trip already paid for in December we have to be ready. I am not sure how it will go, I am doing some extra planning and talking to the kids. I love Disney so much, and now my kids do too. It really is the only thing we do, and we plan for it all year so I would never take it away because others feel they can't handle it. We do need the extra assistance and gladly accept it, also with humility and graciousness to all Disney employees. I do worry about families with younger kids who are new to Disney, (with disabilities) who are more extreme in their behaviors and how they will navigate the new system. Disney can be therapeutic for many disabilities, including autism. Again, altough I don't agree with everything, I agree with most, and really appreciate you being respectful. No torches.
Nobody was telling you specifically not to go. My statement was that if a party acts as if this is a deal breaker, then maybe it should just be a deal breaker. Guess what, my family has never once been able to take a ski vacation. I don't blame the mountain. Yes, there are opportunities there to help disabled members of my party ski, but we just don't feel like it is worth the trouble. Maybe, if it is no longer worth the trouble to experience Disney World, a party just does not experience Disney World.

Again, a great many wonderful Disney Vacations can be had without filling out a ride quota sheet. There are a vast number of attractions that are walk on, even on Christmas week, that one could enjoy. It need not be Peter Pan/Pooh/Space Mountain or my family is being ripped off. There are some great walks to be had around Disney as well. Disney World is not all about the rides.

If a group is truly hung up on getting the most out of a limited time, a DAS should give you 2-3 ride reservations, on top of the 3 you can get with FP+ and another 1-2 with regular Fastpass. That is about 7 rides/attractions that could be done in about 3-4 hours. Disney averages a 8 attractions per guest per day. This means you would only have to find one single stand by line to sit through to hit the average guest experience. I cannot see how that would be so very disappointing to a party unless they just have expectations that cannot be met realistically without the "Golden Ticket" option.

Gomer

First off..thank you for your reply :) Its always easier to read a post without name calling or childish accusations..

Second..I see your side and I can see how it can be frustrating to those used to the system. The issue a few are seeing is the fact that the GAC (by some peoples definitions) was intended to give those who need it an EQUAL experience (meaning filling in the difficulties one would have going to WDW if it didn't exist), and not one that makes it better than anyone elses. Personally, I see both points of view and am sympathetic all around. I can see why to everybody else, it seems unfair, but at the same time I can COMPLETELY understand the flip side, the people who need it and how its helped them achieve something that would otherwise be impossible.

In the end, I don't think anyone disagrees with the abuse and the problems it caused. Something had to be done, and sacrifices sadly had to be made in order to preserve the guest experiences from all around (and to those who dispute on the fact that the GAC abuse was bad for everyone, ESPECIALLY those who had a valid need for them...I say they need to re-evaluate their though process).

Oh, I agree. Although I have no info to back this up, it makes logical sense that the original GAC program was designed with mostly physical disabilities in mind and intended to give them equal access. But since that time, incidence of the so called "invisible disabilities" has skyrocketed and Disney's kindness in allowing their program to evolve to meet the needs of those affected was a great gift to us. In the end, that well intended gift ( although it benefits Disney as well, since WDW has become the go to vacation destination for ASD families due to a variety of factors not only restricted to GAC policies) was also what allowed the abuse. Additionally, the current corporate culture of DIsney isn't so keen on going the extra mile like they used to. That combined with an unsustainable system led to the changes.

But I agree, I am anxiously awaiting the results and I'm rooting for it to work out. I know [plenty of disgruntled parents that are not as willing to embrace the change as I am, but I really do hope it works as I am willing to sacrifice some of the benefits we have received over the years to both make the overall park experience better to all guests, and to a give a little @#$$ you to the abusers that faked disabilities to do this.

I'm also pretty thrilled that I'll never again have to listen to some obnoxious know it all guest telling me how lucky I am to have a disabled kid when enterring the queue with a GAC. Its honestly happened twice. Kind of steals your confidence in the human race. But ahh, if my looks could kill there'd be a few less judgmental people walking around florida.

BigThunderMatt

Out at WDW, barely 1,500 people using a GAC were creating vastly less impact spread amongst the 150,000 visitors roaming the four parks of Walt Disney World on a typical day."

Full article: http://micechat.com/44830-disneyland-das/

That assumes both coasts were accurately tracking with extreme precision even during the busiest of times, which is not very likely. Have you seen the typical morning line up at any WDW guest relations location? That's a lot more than 200 GACs a day I can assure you.

BigThunderMatt

But it is a right to go to Disney if one can afford it, yes? Or, are you people suggesting Disney tell those who can't handle the queue or heat to stay away? Sure sounds like the latter to me.

Going to Disney is never a RIGHT. It's a privilege. Something that you cannot live a happy, free life without is a fundamental right. Though there are some warped individuals who might argue to the contrary, visiting a theme park is not one of those things.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Some interesting stats from Miceage this morning comparing the number of GAC's used at DLR compared to WDW:

"On recent autumn Fridays, as attendance at both Disneyland and DCA quickly swells by 30,000 or more after 5:00 p.m. when the local Annual Passholders get off work, TDA asked Guest Relations to compile statistics on how many GAC passes were issued daily now that GACs were no longer being issued for months at a time. Meanwhile, Team Disney Orlando staff were compiling the same types of statistics on GAC passes issued out of the four WDW parks on their typical busy days. The answer was shocking to the execs in TDA, but not at all surprising to the Guest Relations CM’s who crank out hundreds of passes per hour from the desks at City Hall and Chamber of Commerce. On the average Friday in autumn, when few if any Annual Passholder blockouts are in effect, the Disneyland Resort was issuing just over 2,000 GAC passes per day, roughly split evenly between Disneyland’s City Hall and DCA’s Chamber of Commerce. On similarly busy days at Walt Disney World, the four theme parks combined were issuing just 250 GAC passes, with about 100 passes going out of Magic Kingdom’s City Hall daily, and the remaining 150 passes split between the Guest Relations offices in Epcot, Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios.
Since the average GAC in Anaheim is valid for 5 people, that means that 10,000 people out of an average Friday’s combined two-park attendance of 75,000 visitors is roaming the parks using a GAC to enter any Fastpass lane or ride exit they want with no questions asked. Assuming the average GAC party boarded 3 E Ticket rides during a four hour Friday evening visit, that’s 30,000 Fastpasses per day that couldn’t be issued to the tourists who got to the park much earlier in the morning. (No wonder the Fastpasses for Radiator Springs Racers are gone within two hours every morning) Out at WDW, barely 1,500 people using a GAC were creating vastly less impact spread amongst the 150,000 visitors roaming the four parks of Walt Disney World on a typical day."

Full article: http://micechat.com/44830-disneyland-das/

Great summation!!! 1% of guests at WDW were using GAC while 13% of guests at DL/DCA were using GAC. That is a spectacular difference and level of use (or abuse) compared to WDW. Given the real numbers here it does not look like there will much if any impact to standby lines at WDW while DL/DCA will see a vastly different scenerio.

Pinkerton

Banned
Can you please explain how your child who can't handle lines is any different than my hot, hungry, tired 4-year old who can't handle lines? You and I both make the decision to go to WDW understanding the limitations (and pay the same ticket price), but you are asking for something special. Now you seem to be upset because a "right" is being taken away from you.

That's fundamentally why you are reading these posts as "hate" when most of us are just looking at an objective situation and asking honest questions.
We go during September so minimal waiting and come to think it, I don't even know if we used the GAC that much because our daughter can't transfer and the rides she went on all had accessible entrances. Believe me, I was right there with you regarding those who abused the GAC (especially those with Autism) but now I am sympathetic towards these people because of how they and their children are obviously judged by the likes of you and many others inside and outside of Disney. Autism is 24/7 and these parents never get a break from the judgmental and their children's affliction. I guess after Disney read all the negative and judgmental responses in the forums, they agreed and relaxed DAS to accommodate these people.

Pinkerton

Banned
Going to Disney is never a RIGHT. It's a privilege. Something that you cannot live a happy, free life without is a fundamental right. Though there are some warped individuals who might argue to the contrary, visiting a theme park is not one of those things.

Going to Disney is a privilege? No, driving is a privilege and the government can keep you from doing it but you judgmental people with your private club attitudes can't keep those with disabilities from executing their right to go to Disney.

JGamer

Going to Disney is a privilege? No, driving is a privilege and the government can keep you from doing it but you judgmental people with your private club attitudes can't keep those with disabilities from executing their right to go to Disney.

But no one is saying people are excluded from going. Most people are just asking for equality with the number of rides they are able to go on compared to someone with a DAS. Most people just want a system that is fair for EVERYONE.

JimboJones123

We go during September so minimal waiting and come to think it, I don't even know if we used the GAC that much because our daughter can't transfer and the rides she went on all had accessible entrances. Believe me, I was right there with you regarding those who abused the GAC (especially those with Autism) but now I am sympathetic towards these people because of how they and their children are obviously judged by the likes of you and many others inside and outside of Disney. Autism is 24/7 and these parents never get a break from the judgmental and their children's affliction. I guess after Disney read all the negative and judgmental responses in the forums, they agreed and relaxed DAS to accommodate these people.
This is another factor that we consider when taking a trip to ANYTHING with a disabled family member. Will it be busy? 70% of ourvacations to WDW took place durong September because it was dead. This happems for a reason. Amazing how proper planning can be much more beneficial than "requiring" a company to bend over backwards for you. Going to WDW on Christmas week for the disabled offers the sae challenges as it does to those not. If one cannot understand that Disney simply cannot logistically handle handing out 200% GACs during that week, then one might needa reality check. Simple solution, go late January, after marathon weekend. Your trip will be loads cheaper too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom