GAC to Become DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goofyernmost

Just for some support here, I have been turned away from using the ramp to special boarding at Toy Story Mania because I didn't have a GAC card. I use a customized personal wheelchair which I too can't leave all day at the park. It is obvious that I cannot use the staircase or even stand up, but I was told the only way to enter was with a card. I had used a fast pass but they said that wasn't enough. So I got a card, went through the fast pass line and was allowed to go up the ramp and ride the special wheelchair car. This probably speaks to inconsistent training, but I wasn't allowed on the ramp without a card.
I think what you are presently seeing is an advance transition to what will be solid on October 9, 2013. They want to stop those that rent a wheelchair to get up front attention. As you said, simply getting the card took care of that. I don't think that I would blame the CM's for this...in life timing is everything.

Goofyernmost

Because of their siblings? Just because our 9 year old daughter has severe Cerebral Palsy and can't tolerate the heat well, doesn't mean that her siblings (13, 7 and 5) can't enjoy Disney. This was another reason why Disney was so tolerant toward those who are "truly disabled" and their families. Disney knew that the siblings gave up a lot for their handicapped sibling and they wanted to do something special for them. This has now been be taken away by those with "borderline invisible and physical disabilities" who abused the system. Way to go you losers.
Hey, that's cool. Call me a loser that will make me fall right into line with your thinking. The fellow that I took to WDW years ago also had CP and he never even got to go anywhere until he was in his 60's. Life deals us nasty blows sometimes. We cannot control it and sacrifices are made. Sad, but a true picture of life. Besides, as has been repeated over and over and over and over, there are many options available and basically your daughter will not be denied any needed and possible accommodations, so I don't see the problem.

If your daughter cannot tolerate heat it just seems logical that Florida is not the place to bring her. There are many wonderful things to see and do in the world of cooler climate that don't involve people with foam heads running around but are also equipped to help those with disabilities. I think that you are selling her siblings a little short as well. Remember the words "He ain't heavy, he's my brother".

jaklgreen

Just for some support here, I have been turned away from using the ramp to special boarding at Toy Story Mania because I didn't have a GAC card. I use a customized personal wheelchair which I too can't leave all day at the park. It is obvious that I cannot use the staircase or even stand up, but I was told the only way to enter was with a card. I had used a fast pass but they said that wasn't enough. So I got a card, went through the fast pass line and was allowed to go up the ramp and ride the special wheelchair car. This probably speaks to inconsistent training, but I wasn't allowed on the ramp without a card.
This is sad. Hearing stories like this makes me wonder if everyone has lost all common sense. It is obvious that you needed your wheelchair and not just using a rented one to get what people assume will be the FOTL access. It is a sad state that there is so much abuse that they have started treating everyone like they are faking a disability. I know there are people reading this that have faked a disability to get the GAC. SHAME ON YOU!

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Just like @startraveler stated, my wife was repeatedly denided access to the wheelchair entrances the first couple trips in her chair until she relented and requested a GAC, subsequently she has been accomodated as much as possible by most CMs. Occasionally there have been issues, once at HM with a GAC that the date was slightly smudged when the GR created it, the CM was quite accusatory but their manager took the questionable card and replaced it while we rode which was above and beyond our expectations.

Disney has always been very accomodating to her needs with the exception of shows, parades and fireworks, many times due to limited space for wheelchairs resulting in us forgoing the experiences to stay together. Most show seating is in the rear of the theater and as she is not very tall and in a chair, taller guests seem to usually sit in front of her resulting in absolutely no view and a miserable experience or they used to separate us by only allowing one guest to sit with her, as happens every time we try to watch Fantasmic! at HS or sit in the accessible areas for parades at MK.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Sounds like WDW is forcing wheelchairs to have GAC... where DLR they actually try to reduce GACs by recommending wheelchairs.

natatomic

At the 9 attractions I've worked, I've never seen any CMs require a wheelchair bound guest to show a GAC. At two of these attractions, there was a specific wheelchair line (one attraction had it divert from the FP line, the other one you could use either the FP line or Stand-by line most of the way, and then you had to be diverted midway through by a CM), and FP or no, GAC or no, if they had a wheelchair or ECV, we'd let them use the ramp/wheelchair queue. After all, there was no other possible way for them to enter the attraction, and we don't need a wheelchair GAC to see that they indeed have a wheelchair.
Now, at the other attractions, both lines (FP and SB) were wheelchair accessible the entire way through. So unless you had a FP or an "Alternate Entrance" GAC, you would use the regular line. I might be misunderstanding some of your stories, but for some of you (notice I said SOME!), it almost sounds like because you were directed into the Standby line, you took it as being "denied" access to the wheelchair line (though there wasn't a specific one), even though the standby queue would accommodate you the entire way through. If wheelchair accessibility is the only accommodation you require, then a GAC is not needed. So either you misunderstood the fact that you were being accommodated or you dealt with a poorly-trained CM who didn't know better. But seriously, I have never worked with a CM who denied ramp access (versus the stair entrance) to a family with a wheelchair, GAC or no. I mean, if they have a wheelchair, then stairs are impossible. If you experienced this, I'm sorry for the incompetence of the CMs you encountered. But again, I've never seen anyone deny a wheelchair party either.

Last edited:

Pinkerton

Banned
If her sibling can't understand that their sister shouldn't be in the tropics to begin with then....well I give up. I'm not so sure who is the loser.
So are you saying that my non-disabled children shouldn't have the opportunity to visit Disney due to their sibling being disabled?

Tom Morrow

You draw it at 30 minutes, like I said...
If you do this, then the standby line inflates since the card holders are once again able to ride over and over again while everyone else has to wait 30 minutes. It defeats the whole purpose of all of this, which is to stop the cards from being "golden ticket" unlimited Fastpasses. 10-15 minutes is completely reasonable.

Pinkerton

Banned
Hey, that's cool. Call me a loser that will make me fall right into line with your thinking.
So you admit to being one of those in a wheelchair who used their GAC to access the alternate entrance and then miraculously transferred to the first ride vehicle that came by instead of going through the stand-by queue? I hope you enjoyed your FOTL unlimited FastPass while you could.

If your daughter cannot tolerate heat it just seems logical that Florida is not the place to bring her. There are many wonderful things to see and do in the world of cooler climate that don't involve people with foam heads running around but are also equipped to help those with disabilities. I think that you are selling her siblings a little short as well. Remember the words "He ain't heavy, he's my brother".

Many severely disabled cannot tolerate heat but that is one of the reasons why Disney created these special passes. So, are you another disgruntled GAC abuser who thinks my non-disabled children shouldn't have the opportunity to visit Disney just because they have a disabled sibling?

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I was just reading an article about Radiator Springs being the attraction that ultimately pushed GAC topple. The final straw. Guest relations doing studies of RS, and with the approximate 20,000 per day capacity 5,000 GAC requests for front of the line. DCA had to dial down general guests access to FPs to accommodate the 5000 GAC's and FPs for RS were gone in less than an hour in the morning forcing general guests into standby queues with waits of 2 hours or more so the 25% of the guests could go to the front of the line.

RS tested the DAS with the new podium distributing FPs with specific return times to RS. Guess it worked and the system is now expanding to DL and WDW parks.

Pinkerton

Banned
I was just reading an article about Radiator Springs being the attraction that ultimately pushed GAC topple. The final straw. Guest relations doing studies of RS, and with the approximate 20,000 per day capacity 5,000 GAC requests for front of the line. DCA had to dial down general guests access to FPs to accommodate the 5000 GAC's and FPs for RS were gone in less than an hour in the morning forcing general guests into standby queues with waits of 2 hours or more so the 25% of the guests could go to the front of the line.
Disgusting and I hope when the GAC abusers go to the Pearly Gates, GOD makes them wait before letting them in. :)

BroganMc

So what?

SNIP FOR BREVITY

I am not against you or anyone like you, but, ask me to be upset that you "have" to get a card to insure that you continue to get that individual treatment and you will have lost me. If the world weren't so full of low life, dishonest people I would agree with you, but that isn't reality. This is an effort to control the scum of the world and help you get through your day. Perhaps even with a little less judgmental glances. Why isn't that a good thing?

Here's the thing. According to the published rules and what I'm being told I am not entitled to get a DAS card. My issue is not waiting in a line or having to come back with a return ticket. It's that I cannot transfer out of my chair to a ride vehicle UNLESS it is a specifically accessible vehicle or I bring along my cadre of strong helpers to lift me. (As in the case of Test Track or POTC or Maelstrom where my ability to enjoy these attractions is completely dependent on having strong helpers who can lift me in and out of the boat/car. I cannot stay in rooms without roll-in showers because I have no other way of bathing. I cannot use pools or hot tubs without pool lifts.)

This is a loophole to the new DAS plan I am trying to educate you about. It does not adequately cover guests like myself who were directed to get the GAC with alternate entrances because CMs realized in practice they would always wait longer than the regular guest whether utilizing FP or Standby. But the new system says guests like myself should not get a DAS and should just go to the ride where they are directed to use Standby or FP, thus they are treated UNFAIRLY by necessity of having to wait longer for an appropriate ride vehicle.

I'm giving you a hard time about your knowledge because you've said some some things here that make me think you know a lot less than you think you do and are a little insensitive. (Like telling the parent with a child with CP she shouldn't bring her daughter to Disney because it's too hot.) I question if any caregiver can really know what the disabled person goes with unless they personally experienced the difficulties themselves. I've had issues where the people who helped me and thought they understood what I went thru suddenly had to endure a disability of their own. It was a completely different experience for them. (On my trip in 2008 my 70-something dad tripped, fell and broke his hip. Fortunately I could drive by then, had enough independence of my own that with a little help from CMs, strangers and a cadre of rotating family that I could exist and become a caretaker for him. We learned a lot that trip, mostly because I had experience knowing how to cope with physical disability and could effectively guide him. And he learned just how hard and defeating it was to not be able to walk, struggle to go to the bathroom, deal with pain and limitation. Poor man was ready to give up 3 days into rehab when I pointed out he still had more physical ability than I did in his arms/hands and he would get more ability back in weeks then I ever had.)

Problem is people who live with disabilities encounter so many little obstacles they refuse to make a big fuss over because it just wastes valuable energy. Often times it is just too difficult for companions to appreciate the hardness endured by viewing alone. Same as I cannot fully appreciate how a deaf or blind person goes through life. This is why sensitivity classes have students simulate blindness, deafness, limited mobility for themselves. It's not enough to just be told.

BroganMc

At the 9 attractions I've worked, I've never seen any CMs require a wheelchair bound guest to show a GAC. At two of these attractions, there was a specific wheelchair line (one attraction had it divert from the FP line, the other one you could use either the FP line or Stand-by line most of the way, and then you had to be diverted midway through by a CM), and FP or no, GAC or no, if they had a wheelchair or ECV, we'd let them use the ramp/wheelchair queue. After all, there was no other possible way for them to enter the attraction, and we don't need a wheelchair GAC to see that they indeed have a wheelchair.
Now, at the other attractions, both lines (FP and SB) were wheelchair accessible the entire way through. So unless you had a FP or an "Alternate Entrance" GAC, you would use the regular line. I might be misunderstanding some of your stories, but for some of you (notice I said SOME!), it almost sounds like because you were directed into the Standby line, you took it as being "denied" access to the wheelchair line (though there wasn't a specific one), even though the standby queue would accommodate you the entire way through. If wheelchair accessibility is the only accommodation you require, then a GAC is not needed. So either you misunderstood the fact that you were being accommodated or you dealt with a poorly-trained CM who didn't know better. But seriously, I have never worked with a CM who denied ramp access (versus the stair entrance) to a family with a wheelchair, GAC or no. I mean, if they have a wheelchair, then stairs are impossible. If you experienced this, I'm sorry for the incompetence of the CMs you encountered. But again, I've never seen anyone deny a wheelchair party either.

Here's how that split works in practice at Buzz Lightyear in Magic Kingdom WDW. You enter the Standby or FP lines depending on whatever ticket or pass you have. FP lines are merged with Standby by the animated Buzz Lightyear. Then you proceed down a hallway to the boarding zone. When it is your turn to board a CM asks you if you can transfer. If yes, you board the ride and your wheelchair/vehicle is taken down a small hallway to the exit to wait for you. If not, then you are sent down that hallway and are told to wait behind a chain until a CM can serve you. This is a busy exit place so sometimes you'll have to signal the CM to get their attention. The meek tend to wait a little longer until a CM notices them. Again you are asked how many in your party and whether you can transfer. If you need the wheelchair car you are told it will take X number of minutes to cycle thru the ride. Sometimes that car just went past you and is already in the regular boarding area. No one rides the wheelchair car but a guest in a wheelchair so it's not taking up a space a Standby guest could use.

When it gets to be a couple minutes before the car comes, the CM undoes the chain and sends you along a walkway parallel to the moving exit belt where you wait behind another chainlink. When the wheelchair vehicle comes thru, the CM slows the ride to a crawl then deploys the ramp and ushers you and one companion to board the vehicle. The companion boards first and then you drive your chair into it. The ramp is closed up behind you. If you have more people in your party, they are boarded onto other regular vehicles around you. Then you ride from the exit to the entrance where the CM there stops the loading process of regular guests just until they have some empty cars to ride.

Because it takes longer to load/unload wheelchair guests during this process, CMs will allow you to stay on the ride for a second turn provided there's not a line of other wheelchair guests waiting. If your party is more than 6, the excess are always loaded in the regular boarding area. I have never been allowed or seen a larger party go to this wheelchair queue.

But here's the thing. Because you need an accessible vehicle and that determination is not made until the actual boarding area, a non-transfer guest must ALWAYS wait longer than a Standby of FP guest. If the goal with this new system is to make everything fair and equal, then how in the heck is that fair?

Similar things happen at all attractions where there are limited wheelchair vehicles or viewing spots. Being a wheelie who cannot transfer means you are more likely to be turned away or asked to wait for the next turn/showing/etc.

Under the old system, the solution for non-transfer wheelies was to recommend guests who needed accessible vehicles get a GAC marked with "May use alternate entrances". This mitigated wait times for them and accounted for situations when the wheelchair car line is backed up or seating is limited. The new system however, specifically says such guests are already accommodated with an accessible queue line and areas at the venue.

It's a problem with the proposed system that is not being thought of. CMs tell me that I'll just get a return ticket (which I have no objection to), but when I tell them that's only with a DAS card which I'm not supposed to get, they then tell me to make sure I raise that point with GR next week. It's a concern that must be addressed and my concern it is being overlooked.

You're in a Catch 22 here. The very reason the GAC was invented was because dishonest guests rented wheelchairs and faked disability. So granting access based on wheelchair only invites that to come back. But the only way to systematically accommodate these folks is to grant them access to a system that isn't really supposed to apply to them.

I really don't want to be put in a situation where I feel like I'm stretching the truth of what I can and cannot do just to have a chance at an experience on par with my ablebodied family. Truth is having a GAC has given me the opportunity to cater to my physical needs more than I could without. I don't have to force myself to get up earlier than I'm able just to get a FP for a popular ride like TSM. I don't have to struggle with the FP machines. (Arthritis and severe joint contractures make my ability to fiddle with key cards and paper slips difficult at best. Heck I I'm typing this using a pointer in one hand and the backs of two fingers with the other because I don't have full use of my 10 fingers.) It's ok if I have to leave the park after a few hours because my pain is getting too much or my legs have swollen from sitting in a wheelchair for hours. I don't have to wait for that FP time to return. I don't have to watch my feet and guard against being trampled in a tight 70 minute queue line. (You would not believe the people who step over a wheelchair person's feet or encroach on their personal space. It's nothing for some people to lean on your handlebars because they figure you're just another inanimate object.)

But I don't really consider it a hardship to wait another 45 minutes or sit in an area waiting for my turn. I've lined up for the Jack Sparrow experience just fine. I got in the 45 min queue for SeaWorld's Antarctica just fine last week. So since I'm not going to have an emotional meltdown or have a seizure sitting in a line, and it is possible for me to sometimes get a FP from a machine, it seems like I don't really need/deserve a DAS. Except that I know if I don't get one I will be cutting certain things out of my To Do list because the hassle I go through to do them is just too much for me to want to waste the effort.

I know me. I'll abandon certain things because the little difficulties they entail just add up to be too much. It was because CMs saw me struggle just to be like every other guest that I was even told to get a GAC. When I go to ask for one I'm never challenged or asked a single question other than how many people in my group. But if I don't have that almighty card or it's not filled out precisely to the letter, I encounter at least one CM per trip that hassles me and accuses me of cheating. Poorly trained, maybe, but the result is the same. I'm embarrassed and insulted just enough I go off to lick my wounds. I don't call a manager over. At best I'll tell the CM at GR what happened as he/she writes out the GAC correctly. And this sort of behavior is something I'd never experience in situations where no GAC is used in real life. It's just CMs with a power trip and cynical attitude who need a refresher in customer service.

If anything I just want you guys to understand why people like me are upset about this change. We have experienced this sort of snarky, insulting behavior more and more over recent years as the talk about cheating and ECV drivers goes up. It's degrading to have a person complain because you're loaded on a bus first while you know you'll be the last person off. I've never felt so abandoned then the night the bus driver took everyone at the bus stop in EPCOT and left me behind in the cold because he mistakenly started loading people first. It gets so bad that I look forward to bringing my own handicapped vehicle to WDW because I know I won't have to deal with that. That sort of stuff shouldn't happen but it does, regularly. That's one reason I bring my van to FL.

99% of the time I encounter genuinely good people who look at me and how I somehow make it work and feel inspired, which makes me feel like I am handling this disability stuff right. But that 1% get inside your brain and you have a devil of a time forgetting it. Sometimes you'll encounter a person who witnesses and recognizes the bad treatment and stands up for you. (One of my favorite bus memories was at a resort when the pedestrians loudly complained about having to wait for me to be loaded. The bus driver ushered me inside then told me he would take extra time making sure I was secure because those ignorant people could just wait. He'd had a family member who endured similar difficulties and treatment.)

I get that people are upset about ECV renters and what you perceive as abusers. I avoid those crazy ECV drivers too. I encounter them far more than most guests so I've learned to give a rental ECV a wide berth. And yes they always take up a spot on a bus that I could use. But what concerns me is that in attempting to curb abusers and appease complainers Disney is leaving folks like me to fend for themselves. It's no different than the bus driver who refuses to confront seated passengers and leaves the wheelchair user sitting at the curb. Don't confront and just hope the wheelchair user gets over it because hey they're used to dealing with disappointment, right?

Now maybe I am getting worked up over nothing. I'll try going to GR on Oct 9th and see what happens. Will I be denied a DAS. I'll try going to rides like TSM and Buzz and see what they tell me to do. I'll try to work within the new system and see how it affects me. Sometimes Disney changes things to make it so difficult for me I alter my behavior to avoid whatever that thing was. IASW and HM became a "only if Standby is under 20 minute" thing for me after the changes. All I can tell you now is that without my GAC I am denied far more things than I ever thought I'd need it for. WDW has relied so heavily on that silly card CMs have shown little common sense. That makes me very wary for next week. Not confrontational, just concerned.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
WDW has relied so heavily on that silly card CMs have shown little common sense.

Well, I read it, don't agree with it all. Had empathy for some of it. But then I read this line and found it to be so out of line. How disrespectful to Disney's CMs.

flynnibus

Premium Member
But here's the thing. Because you need an accessible vehicle and that determination is not made until the actual boarding area, a non-transfer guest must ALWAYS wait longer than a Standby of FP guest. If the goal with this new system is to make everything fair and equal, then how in the heck is that fair?

The aim is not 'fair and equal' but rather reasonable accommodation to ensure the disabled can participate equally - not 'wait' equally. Sometimes the wait for the ladies room is longer than the men's room too...

You're in a Catch 22 here. The very reason the GAC was invented was because dishonest guests rented wheelchairs and faked disability

No, the GAC was to bring uniformity and ensure consistent practices at the attractions while allowing the inclusion of more than just mobility issues. The GAC was not a 'heres how we're going to fight abuse' - its more of 'heres how we are going to avoid legal liability...' by making the accommodations into consistent responses with no room for attraction CM interpretation.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
So are you saying that my non-disabled children shouldn't have the opportunity to visit Disney due to their sibling being disabled?
Your family probably should opt for Disneyland instead...it's much cooler and less traumatic for your disabled child.

There are many families that NEVER go to WDW and they all grow up to be perfectly normal.

shakes20

Let me preface my remarks by saying this.. My oldest daughter has been diagnosed with anxiety disorder, my oldest son is in the autistic spectrum, my two youngest were adopted from the foster system with alcohol effects, meth affected, adhd, ied, odd, and other diagnoses.
I have used the GAC, and I think it time to make a change. I have no problem with the new system. I have a problem with those that abused the previous system. Anyone who is blaming Disney should blame the people who feel entitled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom