GAC to Become DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Figaro928

So true. But let me add kids to that comment as well. If you are a 25 year old guy with nothing but a water bottle and sunglasses and there is a 4 year old standing in front of you. Get up and let the kid sit on her mother's lap in your seat. Its dangerous for young kids to be standing on these things. it takes real strength to maintain your balance en route to your hotel.

I became extremely frustrated (somewhat selfishly admittedly) on my last trip as I witnessed many able bodied people holding their seats and staring at the ground avoiding eye contact as elderly and young children stood in the middle. I'm in my late 30s and I'm holding a baby and a stroller, but I got up and had my wife hold two kids on her lap (a feat in itself) so they could sit. Suck it up, if you are young and fit, standing for a few minutes isn't the end of the world.

It's funny, but we experienced the exact opposite. Several times people had gotten up to give me and my toddlers seats. Especially late night rides when the kids were tired & dead weight in my arms. A few times other guests even helped my husband and I with the huge double stroller. LOL in retrospect, people were probably taking pity of us :confused: But still I felt as though the other guests were spreading the "Magic"

flynnibus

Premium Member
It is not illegal to offer accommodation above an able bodied person. but the law only requires you be afforded the same equal rights as an able bodied person

I never said otherwise :) I was correcting someone else who said it was illegal to offer something to the disabled beyond what the non-disabled have.

If an able bodied person must wait for rides or buses why can't the disabled

Because you're asking the wrong question... What matters in that postulation is the person's disability and what must be done to accommodate that disability. 'I can't wait' isn't a disability. But there may be disabilities that cause you to be unable to wait in a particular queue. What must be done depends on the disability in question.

This 'why can't someone wait' question is something that comes out of HOW Disney addressed the problem before. It is not a universal thing.. but Disney's lack of specific accommodations has conditioned people into thinking that way.

asianway

The 85-year-old (in 2011) Playboy boss decided to use a mobility scooter to zoom around on a trip to Disneyland. Not to be outdone, his young fiancée – 24-year-old Playboy bunny Crystal Harris – jumped on one too. Of course, Hefner feels lonely if only one of his bunnies accompanies him, so another blonde made up the trio. o_O

article-1379598-0BBBE70A00000578-674_468x638.jpg

article-1379598-0BBBE71B00000578-349_468x686.jpg

article-1379598-0BBBE75000000578-671_468x673.jpg
Looks like we got ourselves a Convoy!

I never said otherwise :) I was correcting someone else who said it was illegal to offer something to the disabled beyond what the non-disabled have.

Because you're asking the wrong question... What matters in that postulation is the person's disability and what must be done to accommodate that disability. 'I can't wait' isn't a disability. But there may be disabilities that cause you to be unable to wait in a particular queue. What must be done depends on the disability in question.

This 'why can't someone wait' question is something that comes out of HOW Disney addressed the problem before. It is not a universal thing.. but Disney's lack of specific accommodations has conditioned people into thinking that way.

Yes but most people on here are unhappy that they have to wait at all, and return at a different time. Disney is accommodating the fact that they can't stand in line. They are just not getting instant access. I find Disney is doing the right thing here. First come first served.

Figaro928

Does anyone know how they will determine the wait time for the guests? Many of the attractions we saw had 20 minute wait times posted, but were actually just walk on's. Even bigger rides like Splash Mountain had posted times of 45 minutes, but we only waited 15. That would stink if they need to come back in 20 minutes, while everyone else is able to walk right on. Just a thought...

Nemo14

It was said somewhere on here that it would be less than the posted wait time, but I don't know how much less.

luv

Again no one is picking on disabled i

You are right I have no tolerance for the lady who insisted that the bus driver wake up three sleeping children. No need to be so preachy if you choose to believe that all the obese people on scooters are obese solely because of health issues and not lack of self control and the unwillingness to get out in move and because of that they are entitled to special treatment at vacation destinations then that is fine however I choose to not feel that way. I love all the your so judgmental comments and that is bad bad bad but I am going to do the same because my opinions are so much more valid.

rct247

UPDATE from friends who were trained today:

General Info
-Last day of Guest Assistance Card (GAC) program is Oct 8.
-First day of Disability Access Service (DAS) program is Oct 9.
-Years in the making, but was expedited with the publicity in May.
-Worked closely with AustimSpeaks, park leaders from both coasts, and other disability advocacy groups.
-Sole purpose is the create a consistent similar experience for all guests including making sure guests with disabilities had a much more extreme chance of doing EVERYTHING in the park when the average can hardly do it.

DAS Card Description
-Photo of DAS cardholder will be on the front along with name, date, location issued, and # of guests in the party.
-Guest must also sign a terms and conditions on the DAS card that says they understand how it works, that they won't abuse it, use it for commercial gain, or give it to someone else. If they breach this contract, they can have it revoked.
-DAS cards can only be issued for up to a 7 day period or until the return time slots are filled up, including for pass holders.
-On the back are lots of return time slots, gone are the different stamps.
-Card will be paper and slightly larger than existing GAC card.
-Make-a-Wish and Give Kids the World guests will not use DAS. They will have a separate lanyard issues prior to their visit that will allow expedited waits. Nothing changes for these folks on how they access the attractions, only what they will use.
-Guests with a stroller being used a wheelchair sticker will not need a DAS unless they have other needs that warrant it. Attraction based procedures will used to accommodate these guests.
-Guests needing Front Row Seating will not need a DAS. Attraction based procedures and accommodation will be used.
-Guests who only have mobility issues will not need DAS. Attraction based procedures and accommodation will be used.
-The card also has a QR code making it easy for Guest Relations to reprint new ones with the information ready to go if needed.
-Guest limit is still only 6.

Procedures
-After getting a DAS card, guests will approach the attraction they wish to visit. Each attraction will have a cast member at the entrance to assist you. (Not a kiosk.)
-If the wait is less than 10 minutes, they are admitted through an alternate entrance or Fastpass queue.
-If the wait is more than 10 minutes, they are issued a return time on their DAS card.
-Return times will be based on the current posted wait time minus 10 minutes.
-Only 1 (one) active return time can be written on a DAS card placing you in a virtual standby queue. Just like a regular guest in a standby queue, you can't be in multiple lines at once.
-The DAS card holder (photo and name) does not need to be present to receive a return time which allows families with children with autism a chance to stay clear of the attraction while a member gets the return time to avoid potential meltdowns by not getting to ride right away.
-Once the return time has arrived, you will arrive to the attractions alternate entrance or Fastpass line to redeem.
-Once a return time has been redeemed it is crossed off and no longer active allowing you get a new return time.
-Crossing off a return time also voids or cancels it to the equivalent of getting out of line.
-Fastpass & Fastpass+ are not tied to this program and can be used in conjunction.
-DAS Return Times have the same policy as a Fastpass when it comes to early arrivals, but they do not expire at a certain time of that day allowing those with special needs to not be restricted to returning back by a specific time if it doesn't work for them. The catch however is that it will still remain active and additional return times can't be gotten until it is used.
-The DAS card holder (photo and name) must be present and experiencing the attraction in order to use the return time. If the person isn't present or choose to sit out and let their family ride, they will be turned away and potentially have their card revoked. After all, the card is design to assist the card holder and a few other companions or family members, but it is not designed solely assist the family or companions when the card holder chooses not to or can't ride.
-If an attraction is broken, they can't give you a return time. If you return and it's broken, they will accommodate you by giving you a Fastpass to come back later and clearing your DAS return time to allow you to get another.
-If all your return slots get filled, you have to return to Guest Relations for a new one. (There are a bunch however.)

Additional Procedures
-Attractions that are not fully accessible through the standby queue may also have return cards. These are only for guests with wheelchairs, scooters, & strollers acting as wheelchairs who do not have a DAS card. Space Mountain is an example of a place that already does this, but additional attractions will soon be getting a similar procedure. The return times for these are just like DAS, but because they are attraction specific cards verses a global DAS card, you are able to grab multiple at once if you visit attractions that require it. Not all attractions will have this.

That's all I was told. Hope that helps.

JimboJones123

General Info
-Worked closely with AustimSpeaks, park leaders from both coasts, and other disability advocacy groups.
-Sole purpose is the create a consistent similar experience for all guests including making sure guests with disabilities had a much more extreme chance of doing EVERYTHING in the park when the average can hardly do it.

DAS Card Description
-Photo of DAS cardholder will be on the front along with name, date, location issued, and # of guests in the party.
-Guest must also sign a terms and conditions on the DAS card that says they understand how it works, that they won't abuse it, use it for commercial gain, or give it to someone else. If they breach this contract, they can have it revoked.
-DAS cards can only be issued for up to a 7 day period or until the return time slots are filled up, including for pass holders.
-Make-a-Wish and Give Kids the World guests will not use DAS. They will have a separate lanyard issues prior to their visit that will allow expedited waits. Nothing changes for these folks on how they access the attractions, only what they will use.
-Guests with a stroller being used a wheelchair sticker will not need a DAS unless they have other needs that warrant it. Attraction based procedures will used to accommodate these guests.
-Guests needing Front Row Seating will not need a DAS. Attraction based procedures and accommodation will be used.
-Guests who only have mobility issues will not need DAS. Attraction based procedures and accommodation will be used.
-The card also has a QR code making it easy for Guest Relations to reprint new ones with the information ready to go if needed.

Procedures
-After getting a DAS card, guests will approach the attraction they wish to visit. Each attraction will have a cast member at the entrance to assist you. (Not a kiosk.)
-If the wait is less than 10 minutes, they are admitted through an alternate entrance or Fastpass queue.
-If the wait is more than 10 minutes, they are issued a return time on their DAS card.
-Only 1 (one) active return time can be written on a DAS card placing you in a virtual standby queue. Just like a regular guest in a standby queue, you can't be in multiple lines at once.
-The DAS card holder (photo and name) does not need to be present to receive a return time which allows families with children with autism a chance to stay clear of the attraction while a member gets the return time to avoid potential meltdowns by not getting to ride right away.
-Once the return time has arrived, you will arrive to the attractions alternate entrance or Fastpass line to redeem.
-Once a return time has been redeemed it is crossed off and no longer active allowing you get a new return time.
-Crossing off a return time also voids or cancels it to the equivalent of getting out of line.
-Fastpass & Fastpass+ are not tied to this program and can be used in conjunction.
-DAS Return Times have the same policy as a Fastpass when it comes to early arrivals, but they do not expire at a certain time of that day allowing those with special needs to not be restricted to returning back by a specific time if it doesn't work for them. The catch however is that it will still remain active and additional return times can't be gotten until it is used.
-The DAS card holder (photo and name) must be present and experiencing the attraction in order to use the return time. If the person isn't present or choose to sit out and let their family ride, they will be turned away and potentially have their card revoked. After all, the card is design to assist the card holder and a few other companions or family members, but it is not designed solely assist the family or companions when the card holder chooses not to or can't ride.
-If an attraction is broken, they can't give you a return time. If you return and it's broken, they will accommodate you by giving you a Fastpass to come back later and clearing your DAS return time to allow you to get another.
-If all your return slots get filled, you have to return to Guest Relations for a new one. (There are a bunch however.)

Additional Procedures
-Attractions that are not fully accessible through the standby queue may also have return cards. These are only for guests with wheelchairs, scooters, & strollers acting as wheelchairs who do not have a DAS card. Space Mountain is an example of a place that already does this, but additional attractions will soon be getting a similar procedure. The return times for these are just like DAS, but because they are attraction specific cards verses a global DAS card, you are able to grab multiple at once if you visit attractions that require it. Not all attractions will have this.

So basically all serious concerns were already addressed.

No kiosks causing confusion.
No Autistic kids not understanding return times (not to be a jerk, but how do they handle the 20-30 minute waits from the car to the front gate at MK?)

flynnibus

Premium Member

Awesome.. pretty much what I thought they'd do and I said. No enforcement on late returns... no need for the card holder to be there to get the time... and no kiosks (long term). They will have to boost the staffing at the high volume attractions to handle this during busy times... BUTthat prevents people from having to back track and prevents Disney from staffing kiosks at low times of the year, etc. And distributes the lines for return times.

I think it mitigates most of the concerns raised here.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Ok, new way to game the system...

Your kid in their stroller is your mobility limited child... now you just got unlimited FP for at least non-handicap attractions. That would be a big deal at Disneyland... probably why the Miceage article was talking about efforts to improve handicap accessibility. That's what they need to do along with this system to tighten it up.

OswaldTheRabbit

So basically all serious concerns were already addressed.

No kiosks causing confusion.
No Autistic kids not understanding return times (not to be a jerk, but how do they handle the 20-30 minute waits from the car to the front gate at MK?)

Many of them have fixations (my son's is Barnstormer) so the return time is not the issue with autistic kids but the routine of walking up to a ride and going into a queue. Now we will walk up to a ride and then walk away. Breaking routine for them is very very very tough.

I am so thankful they have taken this into consideration and allow us to get the time without him "thinking" we are going on. For example my DH will take him in the big top store and I will get the time.

This system will work but I will have to acclimate him first by going over it again and again with him. This is what we do with all changes. I am glad we have some warning so we can prepare!

flynnibus

Premium Member
Multiple members of a party get one.

Yah, I mentioned that one awhile back :)

I think the genie is out of the bottle on this one.. its too difficult to get people to ignore this as a whole.. but I do think it will kill off the 'me too' bandwagoning.

luv

Yah, I mentioned that one awhile back :)

I think the genie is out of the bottle on this one.. its too difficult to get people to ignore this as a whole.. but I do think it will kill off the 'me too' bandwagoning.
One can hope.

My evil idea was all mine. Came up with that using my own clever, criminal tendencies. (Wasn't copying you, lol. Great minds!) I happily give you all credit, though! :)

I'm sure there are more ways to take advantage of the handicapped. We just haven't thought of them.

badamon

General Info

DAS Card Description

Procedures

Additional Procedures

Thanks for taking the time to post such detailed information. We're looking forward to our upcoming vacation!

Goofyernmost

Multiple members of a party get one.

The cheaters will keep cheating.

But this will slow them up a little and make it a little more time-consuming.
But wouldn't be pretty obvious if more then one member of a party attempt to get matching return times? Or will it not be that concise?

flynnibus

Premium Member
But wouldn't be pretty obvious if more then one member of a party attempt to get matching return times? Or will it not be that concise?

You don't need matching return times... the second person gets on the attraction as a guest of the first person.

You use the second card to get a 're-ride' time... or you use it to stack times and reduce the wait till your next attraction.

Now that we know return times aren't enforced, your party could get up to 6 DAS cards and stack up to 6 attractions if you had 6 people in your group who were willing to lie to get a card.

luv

I'm not sure that it would be obvious...but even if it were, I don't see that mattering. What will Disney have the staff do? Demand proof? Say "No, you can't have it?"

I've already heard people planning to do this. I don't know what else they'll come up with. If the loophole is there, they'll find it.

Meanwhile, people who have actual pysical problems are sitting around trying to figure out how they can still go.

Between those who want to make things harder for the handicapped and those who actually have (whether or not that was their intention)...It's just a sad state of affairs. :(

I'm not sure that it would be obvious...but even if it were, I don't see that mattering. What will Disney have the staff do? Demand proof? Say "No, you can't have it?"

I've already heard people planning to do this. I don't know what else they'll come up with. If the loophole is there, they'll find it.

Meanwhile, people who have actual pysical problems are sitting around trying to figure out how they can still go.

Between those who want to make things harder for the handicapped and those who actually have (whether or not that was their intention)...It's just a sad state of affairs. :(

My hope is that they will eventually tie the DAS to the magic band. Same deal as above, but the CM at the attraction loads your DAS wait time to your MM+ account and to people in your party. So you could have 6 people with 6 DAS cards, but each person could only be virtually waiting for one attraction at a time. Think someone mentioned this earlier in the thread but after this many pages I don't remember who!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom